Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Here's my problem (a common one, I suspect): with many of my scopes, I can see the reticle and everything else through them very clearly without my glasses. When I put on my glasses, things get fuzzy fast. Even when I adjust the eyepiece as far as it will go either way, things do not get clear with my glasses on. But, I need glasses to see game from a distance. Is there an easy way to solve this quandary, without having to remove my glasses before I shoot each time?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not common here. Worn glasses longer than I've been hunting. Don't have any problem with scopes. You might need to find an optician that understands using optics and get you lenses ground differently, you may be looking thru wrong part when in position to use scope. Or check with opthomoligist to see if there something else going on with your eye.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Cataract Surgery,several options for lenses. Worth checking out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Polycarbonate glasses lenses? Poly is tough but optically, it's the worst stuff you can have for lens material.

I have no problem with glasses and rifle scopes or spotting scopes from 1x on my Muzzle-Loader to a few NightForce that top out @ 42X, to spotters that top out @ 48x and 60x.

Last edited by horse1; 08/22/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had that problem. What brand of scope?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
with my glass on the scopes appear to be come a little cloudy and small details are blurred.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[align:center][/align]I too cannot use glasses with a scope. But without glasses the scope clears it up for me. It's like corrective lenses for me. I can't see the target well without a scope. Iron sights don't work for me out past 50 yards or so. The scope acts like a corrective lens for me. When I look through the scope with my glasses it's too much correction and it blurs the target. I can see the target clearly without glasses looking through the scope. My eyes aren't that bad and I don't need that much correction but I need a little. That may be your case also.

Do you use binos? I use them to spot game with that I probably wouldn't see without them.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/23/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Although the focus knob must be readjusted, I do see a little better through my scopes without my glasses. However, while noticeable, the difference is not enough to make or break a shot.

Same is true when using binoculars, a loupe, or pretty much any optical device.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Not common here. Worn glasses longer than I've been hunting. Don't have any problem with scopes. You might need to find an optician that understands using optics and get you lenses ground differently, you may be looking thru wrong part when in position to use scope. Or check with opthomoligist to see if there something else going on with your eye.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I have coke bottle bottom glasses and do just fine with scopes...BUT Ive got to mount them very far back, JeffO style, and Ive caught a lot of hell for it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So that's what you're going to blame *catching hell* on........(grin)

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had no issues with mixing glasses and scopes until about ten years ago as my eyeglass prescription for acute near-sightedness became more and more extreme. I now need scopes with rapid focus eyepieces with a wide range of adjustments, good eye relief and forgiving eyeboxes. The older Zeiss Conquest and the MeoPro 6x42 are examples of these scopes. I have noticed that some more recent scope that I have or have tried require minimal adjustment even for my eyeglass. These include the Leupold VX-R, the Tract Toric and the Nightforce SHV.

D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I see clearly through my glasses. I see clearly through the scopes. It's only the combination that gives me fits, as if the scope over-corrects my near-sightedness. Most brands of scopes cause this result for me to one degree or another, though some are more acute than others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had that problem, every day glasses with progressive lenses. With my head just right I would get my reading lens to where it would fuzz the reticle, tilt my head down and it would clear up. Talked to my optometrist who was also a competition shooter and he suggested getting a pair of glasses made that were only for distance. Now I have to change glasses to see the scope adjustment but I see clearly at a distance and when I am looking through the scope.

Swifty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Had that problem, every day glasses with progressive lenses. With my head just right I would get my reading lens to where it would fuzz the reticle, tilt my head down and it would clear up. Talked to my optometrist who was also a competition shooter and he suggested getting a pair of glasses made that were only for distance. Now I have to change glasses to see the scope adjustment but I see clearly at a distance and when I am looking through the scope.

I also use distance only glasses with scope sights.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I might have to go that route. I wear bifocals and last year got a bigger frame. Occasionally i might get the reticle fuzzed. It was hell when I had transition lenses looking at deer in twilight.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I am nearing poor sight.

What the topic reminds me of is blacktail hunting with my dad and his buddy when I was barely old enough to tag along. The buddy wore glasses. It was raining like hell, Western Oregon in October does that sometimes. Not only was he fogging up, and dripping beyond soaking wet but the poor guy had the chits too! Kept hunting though, all day. The good ol'days. Sadly he was killed timber falling a year or two later. Dad was never the same.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I hunt and shoot with my glasses and have no problems as long as the scopes are focused with my glasses on. Take the glasses off and they’re not anywhere close to being focused and they’re not focused for anyone else either.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Maybe a stupid question, and off-topic, but I'll ask it anyways. Can wearing glasses, as opposed to contacts, change POI?

Last edited by kolofardos; 08/23/19.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Are you looking through the optical center of the eyeglass lens? Probably not. Even with the scope mounted higher than normal, most rifle stocks force you to tilt your head at an odd angle to get any kind of weld and look through the optical center of the eyeglass lens. That's why shotgunners have those weird looking shooting glasses that stick way up off the brow. You're not going to see anything clearly through the extreme edge of an eyeglass lens.

The suggestions for working with an ophthalmologist knowledgable about scopes is important. Your average lens flipper won't have taken an interest in the details of how things like that work.

Contact lenses are a better option if you can stand them.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Maybe a stupid question, and off-topic, but I'll ask it anyways. Can wearing glasses, as opposed to contacts, change POI?

I have never experienced that. I have seen a scope go off by refocusing.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.