Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is there an updated and complete one anywhere?

Seems that most are missing many of the new powders.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that link. I printed out a copy because we dinosaurs are kinda set in our ways with the old school powders and it's interesting to see where some of the "newbie" powders fit into the general scheme of things like burn rate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Western Powders chart. It actually shows burn rates in relation to other powders rather than just a linear list going from fastest to slowest. The chart is on the last page (112).

Western Powders Burn Rate Chart

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They still don't show RL26.Very little data fort it also.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 08/24/19.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Lots of Reloder 26 data in the new Speer and Sierra manuals

Curiosity killed the cat, But for a while I was a suspect.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Most serious reloaders have been using QuickLoad for years. The era of needing comprehensive reloading data is over, and that has to be affecting manufacturer's behavior. Since data doesn't drive sales any more (real performance as shown by QL and temp stability do) why bother?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
QL doesn’t give ‘real performance’, it gives a modelled prediction. Chronographs give real performance data, and most manufacturers use them along with actual pressure measurements, not just predictive data, when publishing reloading manuals.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Actually at this point new manual writes dry lab it with QuickLoad - witness the Berger manual. But keep on thinking someone's pressure testing those loads for you laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Most serious reloaders have been using QuickLoad for years. The era of needing comprehensive reloading data is over, and that has to be affecting manufacturer's behavior. Since data doesn't drive sales any more (real performance as shown by QL and temp stability do) why bother?

I could not disagree more. I've used QuickLOAD long enough to know NOT to rely on it as my only data source. It does not output load data, it outputs computed solutions that may or may not be accurate.

Straight out of Berger's Cautionary Statement available on the web: "The loading data in this manual has been developed using a combination of handloading software and live fire testing." I wouldn't say they do or do NOT do any pressure testing based solely on that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You might take a look at the NORMA burn chart. Nothing else like it anywhere out there. Priceless for wildcatting and unpublished load combinations. It uses IMR4350 as the baseline. Then rates the powders both ways from there, listing relative PRESSURE in addition to relative velocity. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated for a while. We have been subjected to a virtual blizzard of 'new and improved' powders in the last few years.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It should be noted that the “burn rate charts” do not test the rate of burning in a firearm, but in a “bomb” chamber. The question is, how does this test method relate to the burn rate in actual firearms? Perusing pressure-tested load data shows that two powders with adjacent chart positions can switch rate places in different cartridges, or even with different bullet weights in the same cartridge.

Most charts don’t show how much faster one powder is than an adjacent powder in the chart; they may be virtually the same, or they may differ quite a bit, we don’t know. These charts are interesting, but they shouldn’t be used as a definitive guide to powder performance - IMO anyway.

Last edited by DoubleRadius; 08/29/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's why they are called "Relative Burn Rate Charts". Caveat emptor definitely applies.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Nah, scratch that. Many of us serious reloaders have learned NOT to rely on Quickload.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius

Most charts don’t show how much faster one powder is than an adjacent powder in the chart; they may be virtually the same, or they may differ quite a bit, we don’t know. These charts are interesting, but they shouldn’t be used as a definitive guide to powder performance - IMO anyway.

Your points are well taken, and you are correct. However, two good charts are exceptions to the statement above, and are my favorites for that reason: the Western Powders chart, and the Lapua chart. I keep that Western chart on my reloading room wall, although I do wish they'd update it with the newest powders.

As mentioned above, burn rates are not absolutes, but the Western chart gives a pretty good visual of the relative burn rate compared to other powders.

https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/burn_rates.pdf

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/01/powder-watch-n133-lt-32-and-norma-powders-available-now/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

642 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.