Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround
The endurance package started with the 629-3’s, they were completed with the -4’s. Early -4’s still had the square butt grip frame, but changed to round butt during that model numbers production run.

What was the endurance package?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The endurance package is refinements to the action for greater strength & less wear. Larger cylinder latch/notches etc.

Actually, 629-5 marked the final enhancements for endurance & was the beginning of use of MIM hammers & triggers(which bothers me NOT)

629-6 notes the addition of the side lock.

Mountain guns are a bit snappier than the standard 4" & seem to to be even a bit snappier than the 4 1/8" L frame 5 shot 69.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You want a -4 or -5 629 Classic (full underlug) in 5”. 4” a little short, 6.5” is a little long unless it’s a pure hunter. 5” is the absolute sweet spot. Probably also the hardest to find. Forget Pinned & Recessed unless you just want to admire it. If you intend to shoot it, you want the endurance package and the -4 or -5 gen. And you can admire it too. If you find one, prepare to open your wallet wide.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 08/23/19. Reason: Blah blah blah
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I should say that X frame grips and N frame grips will fit each other. Not exactly the same. K and L frame fit each other as well.

I have noticed that the x grips fit an N frame although the x grip flares out a little more as it approaches the trigger guard and the frame beneath the hammer. So the fit is not completely snug. X grip is definitely a bit beefier and more comfortable.

The analogy is pulling on size 46 waist pants on a 42 inch waist. It'll fit but …...

I haven't tried putting an N frame grip on an X frame so cant comment on whether they fit interchangeably..

Would be nice IMO if someone came up with a larger grip made of space age materials that fit the N-frames perfectly but that did an even better job of absorbing recoil. A "decelerator" equivalent.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
You want a -4 or -5 629 Classic (full underlug) in 5”. 4” a little short, 6.5” is a little long unless it’s a pure hunter. 5” is the absolute sweet spot. Probably also the hardest to find. Forget Pinned & Recessed unless you just want to admire it. If you intend to shoot it, you want the endurance package and the -4 or -5 gen. And you can admire it too. If you find one, prepare to open your wallet wide.

I like them all, but if your application is fishing, or as a backup for hunting, say in a chest rig, I like the shorter length like 3-4". This is for pure defense. Lighter, more compact, and more of a "get off me" belly gun. There is a reason the Ruger Alaskan and others have a snubby barrel.

For this application as soon as I get to a 6" barrel, its too big and heavy. And in the way of job 1, which is the task at hand (fishing/hunting), saving the .44 for last ditch defense.

And frankly Ill take whatever variant I can get so long as its a Smith. They are all a quality piece of machinery that you can rely on.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forget Pinned & Recessed unless you just want to admire it.

Been shooting my many vintage P&R Smith's for decades, and admiring the quality of workmanship and hand fitting that has not been present since 1981. What's your point?

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So then no pinned and recessed with the endurance package..unless it was sent in after purchase?

I have a 19 and 66, can’t help it, love the P&R

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some of the P&R made in the 60s and 70s were junk.Truthfully the new S&Ws lock and MIM parts and all are a much better revolver.The S&Ws made from the 30s through the 50s are a whole different ball game,but many here would not know that.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive had -1 and -3 versions.
One 4" two 6" and one 8 3/8".
If not shooting heavier than 240's id stay w a reg 6" -3.
That my preferred hunting and range toy.
If backpacking or similar......4". Im limited to 50 yards w a 4". Can shoot the 6" ok out to 100.

Agree on the Classic,.........5" the way to go.

Do not care for the looks of the new N frames. They might be stronger. I dont care.
Looks are important.
I just shoot deer......so dont need the endurance package.
Tried some 300s way back in my -1 4" and yup.....trigger pivot broke. Smith fixed it pretty fast

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

629 Classic w/ full lug

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2 uses for me. Carry as a backup and rarely shoot, 329-PD all the way. Light enough you never have the urge to leave it this morning.... it goes ALL the time. Backed off the Keith load, at about 18-19 grains only, hard cast 240. Will go right through moose shoulders, bear skulls etc... I do have heavy loads for it, and just have mostly given up on them. But will be going up to 270 hard cast but slowing them a bit. Mass will be more important than speed I believe.

If was going to hunt and shoot a lot with it, I think I'd just as soon go to a super Blackhawk. Redhawks to big and heavy BTDT. 29/629 are great too, but I like the feel super Blackhawk personally and it will last as long or longer IMHO.

And I"m far from a ruger fan.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by Barkoff
It would have to be a pinned and recessed no dash for me. Bring your wallet.

Would that be a -2 variant, same as the 29? Or only no dash were pinned and recessed??

How much would you think one might run?

I have a very nice wather PPK (Interarms) and a S&W 39 I’m thinking of parting with to cushion the blow.

The 29-2 is the last of the P&R blued version of the same gun.

The only stainless 629 that is P&R is the 629, with no dash.

Nice 4"ers usually bring 1k plus.
Well stated ,in January of 1980 I paid $500 for ANIB 8 3/8" 629, was offered $1250 for it last year, If I found a 4" in the same condition as my 8 3/8" for a grand I'd jump on it. Mine wears smooth Rosewood SW Target grips and shoots well.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Forget Pinned & Recessed unless you just want to admire it.

Been shooting my many vintage P&R Smith's for decades, and admiring the quality of workmanship and hand fitting that has not been present since 1981. What's your point?

Did not intend to imply you can’t shoot an old P&R gun. As you point out, many who are lucky enough to have them can and most certainly do. My ‘point’ to the OP is merely this - the P&R doesn’t ‘do’ anything for the gun’s performance, besides improve its aesthetics. The Endurance Package does DO something, in that it (obviously) improves the gun’s durability under heavier/hotter loads and frequent use. Why narrow the field of what you can readily (or not so readily) find, and simultaneously prepare to pay an even higher price tag for in an old P&R gun, when a -4 or -5 will suit your stated purposes even more admirably? Unless, of course, the aesthetics or sheer collectibility of the gun factor higher than your intentions of shorting the hell out of it. That’s all.

Side note - I have nothing against the more modern or current production 629’s either. Have a -6 with the MIM, yeah the Hilary Hole too. It’s a fantastic gun in all aspects. But with the Q/C (or lack thereof) across the board today, you gotta know how to pick your cherries. Buyer beware.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a 629 -4 mt gun and love it....bu I never saw a 629 I didn't love...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.