Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
garyw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Is it legal to ship ammunition in the same box with a rifle?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by garyw; 08/24/19.

Anyone that doesn't learn something new everyday has their eyes and ears closed with their mouths open.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No.

G
garyw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

Thanks.

Anyone that doesn't learn something new everyday has their eyes and ears closed with their mouths open.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I dont see why not, the only stipulation ofr ammo is that it must have the appropriate ORM-D label on the box. Could be wrong........first time for everything smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
My local post office says no.

IC B2

N
ned Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
My FFL went nuts when someone sent ammo in the same box as the rifle. Don't do it.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely not allowed to ship ammo with a firearm. I believe that is a federal mandate, not just a silly rule of the common carriers.

Also...as a side note....it is definitely NOT allowed to ship ammo by postal service. I believe that too is a federal mandate. Mailing components like bullets is okay, but not loaded ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If this is appropriate I don't think you can ship handloaded ammo, only factory loaded ammo in its factory boxes. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Phil

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You are wrong. you cannot ship any ammo with a firearm. or through the USPS...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TenX
If this is appropriate I don't think you can ship handloaded ammo, only factory loaded ammo in its factory boxes. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Phil

Ammo is ammo and no you cannot ship it with the firearm.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
For everyone saying you cant.....do you have a link to anything stating as such? Not doubting you, Id just like to read it myself.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Troutnut
My local post office says no.

Post Office wont ship ammo on its own.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TenX
Phil

You are correct that you are wrong. Ammo cannot be sent USPS. Ammo is ammo regardless of who loaded it and ammo must be sent common carrier with proper ORM-D sticker. There is no "factory box" stipulation. Lots of ammo gets shipped bulk...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
None of us in the know will have these rules bookmarked and handy for distribution. If you want to confirm this info, go to the same place on the ATF website where it would explain all the other commonly known rules...such as it being unlawful for a non-licensee (individual) to ship a firearm to another non-licensee (individual) across state lines, etc. We don't know exactly where that is stated but we all know it to be true.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by TallPine
None of us in the know will have these rules bookmarked and handy for distribution. If you want to confirm this info, go to the same place on the ATF website where it would explain all the other commonly known rules...such as it being unlawful for a non-licensee (individual) to ship a firearm to another non-licensee (individual) across state lines, etc. We don't know exactly where that is stated but we all know it to be true.

Thats easily found:

How may an unlicensed person receive a firearm in his or her State that he or she purchased from an out–of–State source?
An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, now I am curious and Googling. Found the below, but admittedly not a real source. Will keep looking.

From Gunbroker:

Ammunition:

Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages which contain firearms (including handguns). Special labeling is required. Some shippers treat ammunition as dangerous or hazardous materials. Guidelines vary by carrier, so please check directly with the carrier for specific details.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

Last edited by TallPine; 08/23/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
USPS will not ship ammo, from their website

Prohibited Domestic Items
Air bags
Ammunition
Explosives
Gasoline

Ammo has to go by ground (FedEx or UPS) with the appropriate labeling ORM-D on the box

Last edited by CJC73; 08/23/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found this nice rule I was unaware of...You can ship a firearm to yourself across state lines with no FFL:

"Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TallPine
Found this nice rule I was unaware of...You can ship a firearm to yourself across state lines with no FFL:

"Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

I shipped all my firearms to myself right before I left Germany. Of course, I had to get prior authorization from the ATF first.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well shucks, maybe it is not so easy to find a real ATF citing re: shipping ammo and firearms together. I figured it would be there in their online rules/regs but I have not found it yet. So I stand corrected about it being easily found.

But I am seeing this rule cited all over the place by the likes of GunBroker and many Online retailers. Of course that is not the law and is irrelevant to the discussion. But if that is not the law we sure have a ton of folks in the county voluntarily abiding by it. I will too unless I see it cited by the ATF that you CAN ship together.lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1eyedmule, 35, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 44mc, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,317 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,270
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.