Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Just received 3 BalVar 8s, 1 BalVar 5 and 1 BalSix bought on Ebay. The average cost delivered was under 90 bucks. One BalVar8 has the rare floating dot and TCH, With one exception (the 60 buck 1st mdl BalVar8) they are all 100% optically. As good as any $300 new Leupold or Bushnell. The $60 one is Remington/Savage "package scope" quality.

Folks forget the B&L scopes were the most expensive USA made scopes back when.

That outfit is a scam just like the Chinese "Leupolds".

Classic rig (722 244) topped w/BalVar8 in Stith Adjusto mount.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WhiteWhiskers; 08/22/19.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Stith Master Mount?

Leupold made the Adjusto-Mount.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Adjusto Mount

[Linked Image]

Master Mount & Box

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers
Adjusto Mount

[Linked Image]

Master Mount & Box

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe that the Stith Mount that you have captioned as an Adjusto Mount is a Do It Yourself mount.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
<blah blah>

PS: now I'm reconsidering that it might be a Stith Master base. Time to go home and hit Stroebel's.

PPS: It's definitely a Stith Master Mount from what I'm seeing.

Last edited by Calhoun; 08/23/19.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Adjusto Mount

[Linked Image]

Master Mount & Box

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe that the Stith Mount that you have captioned as an Adjusto Mount is a Do It Yourself mount.

Definitely know this one, but think it's Install It Yourself (did they have 2 different ones, possibly?).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Yes, you are correct, I had a brain cramp. The Adjusto Mount was a Leupold mount, not a Stith. Made for use with early Leupold 7/8" no IA scopes and then expanded with 1" and 26mm rings.

The first pic is a Stith do-it yourself.

The best looking adjustable mount was the Buehler Micro-Dial which at first glance looks like a mount for scopes with IA. Shown here on a 721 w/BalVar 8.

[Linked Image]

Better pic of Master Mount showing adjustments.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WhiteWhiskers; 08/23/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Buehler Micro-Dial is the most rigid mount with external adjustments that I've seen/used, but it isn't a QD system like B&L envisioned for their BAL-series scopes without any internal adjustments. B&L's original concept was that a buyer could purchase one expensive for the time scope and use it on multiple rifle with fairly inexpensive for the time bases. I chased down the B&L rat hole about 25 years ago and accumulated dozen of scopes and mounts. I used them for awhile and still have a couple of large tote boxes in the storage unit full of B&L, King-Pike, Leupold, and Stith bases and B&L, Kollmorgan, Lyman, and Unertl scopes. Rings for the 26mm Kollmorgan and 7/8" Lyman Alaskans were hard to find 25 years ago and although I haven't looked, I suspect that they are no easier to find now, even with that assistance of the internet. These are an example of a concept that looks great on paper and actually does what it is intended to do, but never captured the interest and the money from the target market.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Back to the op, "depot level" was a term applied to the highest level of maintenance and/or repair back in the 1970's army on nearly any piece of equipment to bring it to "new, to be re-issued" condition.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
vintagegunscopes is on Ebay claiming that they have the best used scopes in the world.
Claim the everyone goes through a "depot level" inspection and refurbishment.
Prices are 2-400% of other like items. All their Ebay feedback as a seller is at least 6 months old.
Any member experience ?

Hello Larry Root!

Back again with a new handle I see.

How are things in Pinedale, WY?

Heard from JWGIBSON lately?

Remember what he posted about you on 07/19/14?

"beware of deadbeat lying pompous ahole seller WYMTNRANGE on gunauctions.com

Larry Root
83 Antelope Trail
Pinedale, WY 82941
307-367-7711

embellishes and misrepresents his wares. Piss poor photos and hyper inflated prices. Do not believe me then check out his sales for yourselves. http://www.gunauction.com/shop/gunshop/wymtnrange
Read the descriptions and the remarks on some of his sale ads. unless you want to be rooked stay away from this unscrupulous seller.".

To paraphrase John 8:32, "If you know the truth, the truth will set you free.".

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
"Read the descriptions and the remarks on some of his sale ads. unless you want to be rooked stay away from this unscrupulous seller"

Took your suggestion. 100% positive F/B, $4000 in sales since June, no sign of "Gibson" ----- guess your computer has secret powers ?

Of course an invisible "post" from a non-member five years ago is far more important than current facts.

But when you name yourself after 6.5 cartridge that is on life support, what is to be expected ?

Creedmore rules !

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry,

You can look up JWGIBSON in the User List.

There are 19 pages of posts on a thread that you started on 07/18/14 under your oldman1942 user name. There isn't a single post in that thread that was supportive of you. Don't you think that says something about your reputation on this site? How many times has Rick asked you to stay off his site? Once? Twice? More than twice? A lot more than twice?

Notice that I've had one user name on this site since I signed on and you've had dozens of them, so which one of us appears to be running away from something, you or me?

EDIT: Please stop sending emails to me. Anything that I receive from you goes straight into the trash, exactly where is belongs.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 08/26/19. Reason: Added request
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
OR maybe 6.5 BEE rules ?

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Oh boy, I'm in the [bleep] now. The Commander of the Troll Patrol (the obese defrocked TX civil servant hiding in Fredrickburg TX) has me in his sights. Sadly he never carried out his threats to come to WY and kill me. Probably would have stroked out from the altitude.

But as always, for the past 12 years, I'll be back watching him twist his 4XL boxers in a knot.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
He really needs to update his avatar picture.

[Linked Image]

or:

[Linked Image]

his hero:

[Linked Image]

ever wonder who Brickrtop really is":( a skinny wimp who shoots lactating females)

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Adios ----- I'll beeee baaaack !

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Larry,

Isn’t there a widow who needs defrauding somewhere?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Larry,

There are 19 pages of posts on a thread that you started on 07/18/14 under your oldman1942 user name. There isn't a single post in that thread that was supportive of you. Don't you think that says something about your reputation on this site? How many times has Rick asked you to stay off his site? Once? Twice? More than twice? A lot more than twice?

Notice that I've had one user name on this site since I signed on and you've had dozens of them, so which one of us appears to be running away from something, you or me?

EDIT: Please stop sending emails to me. Anything that I receive from you goes straight into the trash, exactly where is belongs.

Jeffie, nice dodge.

1. Where is Gibson NOW ?
2. Why was he canned from Gunauction.com
3. Have you contacted ANY of the members I told you I have done 100s of deals with ?
4, And of course you read my emails as your OCD disorder would not let you do anything else.
5. When can I look forward to you collecting the gutless troll patrol and coming here to hold "The Big Pindale Campfire" you boys promised ?

Third rate corn shucker from a 4th rate state trying for 15 minutes of fame. LAFFIN !

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Larry,

Isn’t there a widow who needs defrauding somewhere?

No you're still alive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry,

Jeffie, nice dodge.

1. Where is Gibson NOW ?
2. Why was he canned from Gunauction.com
3. Have you contacted ANY of the members I told you I have done 100s of deals with ?
4, And of course you read my emails as your OCD disorder would not let you do anything else.
5. When can I look forward to you collecting the gutless troll patrol and coming here to hold "The Big Pindale Campfire" you boys promised ?

Third rate corn shucker from a 4th rate state trying for 15 minutes of fame. LAFFIN !

1. Don't know, don't care.
2. Don't know, don't care.
3. I don't read your emails.
4. See #3.
5. Don't know what you're talking about.

15 minutes of fame for doing what?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.