Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I stopped by one of the LGS I frequent more than I should and casually asked if they had a High Power laying around. I've literally asked this question hundreds of time and never get a positive answer. The guy said come over to the new counter and check out the new Regent BR9. I was impressed with what I saw for $539 in the SS model. Pretty true to original model including less than silky smooth trigger and magazine safety, but had later external extractor. Fit and finish looked well done for a Turkish copy. The counter guy said he thought all parts where interchangeable with later high Power parts except firing pin which was a larger diameter. Didn't buy it because I had never heard of it before, but am going to take another look after reading reviews about handgun. Looked like it would still be a thumb web biter if you had beefy hands. Was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge about the Regent BR9?

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If I wasn't currently doing my best ebenezer scrooge impersonation. I'ld probably snatch one of these up. Looks well made. I'ld for sure have one if I knew I could fit a ambi-safety like my hi-power has.

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LJBass
If I wasn't currently doing my best ebenezer scrooge impersonation. I'ld probably snatch one of these up. Looks well made. I'ld for sure have one if I knew I could fit a ambi-safety like my hi-power has.

I think I will myself next week when I get back to town if LGS still has one. From everything I have read about the BR9, The High Power ambi safety is a direct replacement as is about all the other parts except the firing pin, which is a larger diameter, and the sights. The BR9 has a different size dovetail for some reason as the High Power used.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A recent review in one of the mags gave it high marks. The photos looked great, of course.
I've had them with the older internal and the external extractors. Both work but the external is considered an improvement by several smiths I've talked to.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Reviews I've seen suggest that a couple of the small parts aren't properly hardened, and can break prematurely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
A recent review in one of the mags gave it high marks. The photos looked great, of course.
I've had them with the older internal and the external extractors. Both work but the external is considered an improvement by several smiths I've talked to.
Of the two extractors, clearly the external extractor is the better of the two. The internal extractor wasn't dropped due to any performance issues. Although they do break from time to time, no one was really complaining as the breakage wasn't common and nothing out of the ordinary for any other service grade pistols of the time. The main reason was for easier assembly. Fitting an external extractor is just drop dead simple and its easy to train someone how to do it. With the internal extractor, it took a good 4x more time to properly fit and install. So the external extractor was more robust (they damn near never break), and really simplified assembly; so a win on both fronts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems this guy thinks highly of them, heard somewhere he might be pretty good with the High Power.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/Tisas

Swifty
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Reviews I've seen suggest that a couple of the small parts aren't properly hardened, and can break prematurely.

If you could post a link I would appreciate it. Been trying to read what I can about any issues with this pistol.

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I picked this pistol up this weekend. Cleaned, lubed it and shot a couple of boxes of 115 gr FMJ thru it.
Sights aren't regulated for the 115 gr loads, may try 124 gr later. Shot about 8" low at about 15 yds. Other than that, really nice shooting handgun. Didn't get hammer pinched, but I don't have really fleshy hands either. Nice machining inside and out. Cleaned up easily, no rough machining internally that wanted to hold any powder residue. I would recommend the Regent to anyone wanting a Hi Power, but not wanting to spend what the Brownings are now bringing. I was surprised how much thr trigger cleaned up after a little shooting. Not sure if i will remove magazine disconnect or not, not going to carry this pistol and the take up smoothed up pretty nicely. No more gritty take up now.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.