Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Anybody eat em? Buddy in Montana says they’re amazing, wants me to apply for a permit..🤣🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Weren’t they nicknamed the “ribeye in the sky”. Might be mixing it up with another bird though.

Semper Fi
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep that’s what he says.. I call bullshiit!!! 🤣

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Never eaten one.

The flying beef thing though....i have heard more than once.

From people that have eaten them even!

Go for it.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Yep that’s what he says.. I call bullshiit!!! 🤣

I think Rinella has an episode on Meateater where they grill up some of them and man, it looks like beef and from the eating part they chewed like beef. I couldn’t have cared less about them till I saw that and now I wished I had a freezer full of em!

Hope you do it. Sounds fun and the damned things are like teradachtyls (sp)

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Never eaten them but they seem pretty popular up here, of course there's some folks that eat rotten seal meat too. Don't need any special permits other than your normal stamps. I've seen 10's of thousands of them flying overhead for days while I was moose hunting and thought I'd have been better off with a shotgun. Can't be too bad and I'd like to try it out sometime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never shot one, and have never eaten any of the "ribeye of the sky," but those who have say they're the best eating bird they've ever had.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I tried it at a wild game feed once. I don't know how they cooked it but it was like trying to eat a super ball.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When I lived in Fairbanks, we’d shoot them in Delta along with geese. Haven’t shot one in a number of years.

The breast is enormous. The keel bone is typically as deep as a 2x4. They have very little fat and I like to bake with bacon on the top. Also, unlike domestic fowl, the breast being a heavily used muscle, it is a very deep red color.

I would strip the meat off all the sinews in the legs and make crane leg stew.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Weren’t they nicknamed the “ribeye in the sky”. Might be mixing it up with another bird though.

Yep, you got the correct bird.

When I was a graduate student living in Manitoba, I ate dozens of them every year and I can see why the discrepancy among eating reports!

After a year, all mature birds look alike and some of them evidently live a bloody long time, judging from how tough they can be!

Fortunately, it is easy to identify the young of the year before you shoot and EVERY ONE OF THOSE I've shot has been nice and tender.

If the bird has a "two tone" head, don't shoot it - it could be very old. Shoot the one with uniform colored heads, they are the young of the year, and are tender!

[Linked Image]

John

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great info John. Thank you.

I’d like to try one of them! Looks delicious!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot a lot of em and yes,, they can be quite good.

I cube the breast and marinate in whatever.......skewer with veggies on shish ka bob stick.
Like other game, don't overcook......medium rare!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
I shoot a lot of em and yes,, they can be quite good.

I cube the breast and marinate in whatever.......skewer with veggies on shish ka bob stick.
Like other game, don't overcook......medium rare!

Absolutely! Still want to get into a serious mess of them again for putting up...

Closest bird to them would be either guinea hen or snipe...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody eat em? Buddy in Montana says they’re amazing, wants me to apply for a permit..🤣🤣

when they were legal to kill in Florida, I ate a lot of 'em. Much better for the table than a wild turkey.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

when they were legal to kill in Florida, I ate a lot of 'em. Much better for the table than a wild turkey.

I only hunted turkeys once.....over pointing dogs.......a big tom makes an interesting flush......but I too was disappointed
in the table quality.......I'm sure the guys that hunt em regularly have come up with better recipes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I knocked feathers out of one with both barrels one morning in the salt marshes, he backpedaled out of there and flew out of sight. Bought a 10ga auto loader the next week and never had another opportunity on cranes.

Seems like the only time we see them here is about a week after season. But everyone I’ve ever met who’s eaten one has claimed they are fantastic. Maybe some day I’ll get to shoot one and find out for myself.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Our son went to school at Texas Tech University in Lubbock. During migration you would hear and often see literally thousands of them. Very odd vocally. Wing spans of near 6’. When cloudy and flying low at nite you could hear their wing flaps. We’ve killed a few...vary from awesome to terrible. As said earlier...age matters. We were usually very pleased with them

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We usually see and hear lots of them migrating through during deer season. You’ll hear their call and strain to see them, then finally locate them up there by the 747s. Dang they fly high.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve seen thousands of them land on our wheat field during deer season. Never shot one though. I’ve always heard that a wounded one would blind your dog that tried to retrieve it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tasty for wild fowl, but "ribeye of the sky" no f ing way. Not much different from a wild turkey IMO.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.