Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just got my M70, classic CRF action, back from a gunsmith who did a number of things to it, one of which was adjusting the trigger to 2lbs.

The rifle is not cocking consistently. In fact, it's closer to consistently not cocking. I suspected it had to do with the trigger and sure enough, if I apply pressure to the rear of the trigger while cocking, it works fine. I removed the receiver from the stock, a McMillan A3, and tested it. I cycled the bolt 15 times and it cocked every single time, no problem. I checked the trigger weight and it was coming in just a few ounces below 2lbs. Couldn't figure it out so re-assembled the rifle and once I torqued the action into place, the problem returned.

Has anyone encountered this problem? What was the solution?

Gunsmith is several states over so would prefer not to have to send it back unless necessary.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the trigger sear is adjusted too lite.Do a search on trigger adjustment for Mod 70 CRF.Sounds like a very simple fix.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Sounds like the trigger sear is adjusted too lite.Do a search on trigger adjustment for Mod 70 CRF.Sounds like a very simple fix.

That's what I thought but found it interesting that it only occurs while in the stock and torqued down. If I take the barreled action out of the stock, the problem goes away.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Perhaps it is flexing a bit when in the stock?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your action is in a bind.Probably the tang screw is bending the action just enough to cause this.You might need to do a little bedding.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Certainly sounds like it is binding. Had a similar issue occur with a parker shotgun and the cocking mechanism.

Personally I wouldn't jump to bedding just yet.

Ease back on your tang screw and see if the problem goes away. If the rifle is still accurate then let it be. It's definitely the screws that are doing it, just a matter of how much to back off to relieve it.

Is the McMillan stock new or have you used it previously without issue?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I guess I need to send it back or at least speak with the gunsmith. It's a new McMillan stock and was bedded when I sent it to them. It definitely has to do with the screws, I'm just not sure how to fix it. It only stops when I back the screws way off, to the point where they're too loose.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is a too tight of a fit, the inletting may be contacting the sear or trigger; front, rear, or side. You may need to do some relieving, i.e. removing some bedding / inletting.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I remember right,the Mod 70 has three screws.Try tightening the front two and leave the rear tang screw loose and see if it still gives you problems.The middle screw could also be the problem since it's between the recoil lug and the tang.I've had stocks that were inletted too deep in the tang area for the bottom metal.When I would tighten it down it would bind the action a little.I could also tell the bolt was dragging a little in the action.What I had to do to solve this problem was add a small washer between the stock and the bottom metal.I guess the thing to do is back off one screw at a time and figure out which one is the problem and go from there.One more thing I thought of was,make sure the mag box isn't in a bind.

Last edited by baldhunter; 08/24/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Front action screw very tight, rear action screw tight, middle action screw kinda tight.

Old guy, old guns.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by copperking81
Just got my M70, classic CRF action, back from a gunsmith who did a number of things to it, one of which was adjusting the trigger to 2lbs.

The rifle is not cocking consistently. In fact, it's closer to consistently not cocking. I suspected it had to do with the trigger and sure enough, if I apply pressure to the rear of the trigger while cocking, it works fine. I removed the receiver from the stock, a McMillan A3, and tested it. I cycled the bolt 15 times and it cocked every single time, no problem. I checked the trigger weight and it was coming in just a few ounces below 2lbs. Couldn't figure it out so re-assembled the rifle and once I torqued the action into place, the problem returned.

Gunsmith is several states over so would prefer not to have to send it back unless necessary.

Is the trigger hitting the stock anywhere? It may need to be relieved just a little more. I also agree with the others that maybe the action is getting bound up when torquing the action screws. A properly glass bedded action wont exhibit these problems. Beware though, not all bedding jobs are "proper", inducing stress to the action.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Before I messed with anything other than screw tension, I'd PM Redneck. But I hope you tell us what he says and what works, because it seems a good opportunity to learn a thing or two.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
There's definitely tension in the wrong place or the stock contacting somewhere it shouldn't but I can't narrow down the exact spot or issue. It's a one piece bottom metal model and it doesn't seem to matter which of the two action screws I tighten first, leave loose, etc. As soon as there is any amount of pressure on the action, it starts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's definitely tension in the wrong place or the stock contacting somewhere it shouldn't but I can't narrow down the exact spot or issue. It's a one piece bottom metal model and it doesn't seem to matter which of the two action screws I tighten first, leave loose, etc. As soon as there is any amount of pressure on the action, it starts.

It wasnt properly glass bedded then. Or the trigger is making contact with the stock. If you've ever had a properly glass bedded model 70, you'd know exactly what im talking about. With mine, i pop the action in the stock and it doesnt take much to torque down the action screws, once they start to get tension on them. I dont know what "gunsmith" you had doing the glass bedding, but it is generally customary to check function afterwards. Good luck with it. I hope you get it figured out.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
To find where it is binding or touching I use lipstick or something similar on trigger group and tang area. Put it back in the stock
cycle action and trigger . Then relieve lipstick areas on stock. Something is in a bind or touching would be my guess.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska
To find where it is binding or touching I use lipstick or something similar on trigger group and tang area. Put it back in the stock
cycle action and trigger . Then relieve lipstick areas on stock. Something is in a bind or touching would be my guess.

Good suggestion.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good suggestion.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

That is a good idea. I'll give that a shot.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The gunsmithing operation that did the work is a well and widely known shop. I'd rather not name them publicly until they've had a chance to correct the issue, if I can't resolve it myself. It's been a long wait to finish this build so I'm hoping I don't have to send it back.

How it made it out of their shop with this issue is a good question though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

PM coming...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.