Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by HawkI
Yeah, but the problem is that it's like saying the 41 Mag (with the same weight bullets) is the same thing as a 44, hence the the 357 is too.

No, it isn't like saying that. The 44 and 45 are pretty close. The other two you mentioned are different enough to matter.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The 44 is actually closer to the 41 than it is the 45. I even used a calculator so as not to be called a liar.

Plus, someone mentions meplats every time this argument arises.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Yeah, but the problem is that it's like saying the 41 Mag (with the same weight bullets) is the same thing as a 44, hence the the 357 is too. Granted, discerning a 41 hole from a 44 is much more difficult to find in a critter than a 44 versus 45, or at least that's been my experience with all three.

What gets lost in the very well reasoned arguments is bore size matters to the sedate hangun speed levels; I have LBT OWC 38's that have larger meplats than some 44 designs I have shot game with. Two things: 1. The 44's still make larger wounds at lower velocity, contrary to all the meplat worship. 2. The 38 caliber has to be driven to the gills to maintain the accuracy at hunting ranges and to even get close to the wounding ability of the 44 bullet, even when plodding along and the 38 driven 300-500 fps faster...

Agreed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
You going meplat or bore diameter? To get both, you have to go bigger. Sure, you can run larger meplats and up the impact velocity, but the holes in critters don't fool people who have the wares to poke a few animals for the sake of science...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.358 LBT OWC, 41-230 NOE Keith, 429215, H&G 503 44, 45-275 NOE Keith.
[Linked Image]

Here's the 358 OWC with the 250K, the 503 and a 280 LBT LFN.

FWIW, the .358 has a larger diameter meplat than these 44 bullets listed and is on par(with a 1 inch mic) with the 41. Having seen it used in the field, it still isn't on par for actual damage of any of the larger bullets that follow it, even when driven faster.

For anyone who has used the 429421 or the RCBS 250-K or the 429255 Lyman, the 429215 uses the same/similar top punch....pertaining to meplats.

My only experiences are on deer and hogs; folks who shoot larger stuff generally claim bigger is better too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tradmark
I dont care one if its 80% or 100% or whatever, but that buffalo bore load u referenced above is way beyond standard 36k psi. Just ask sundles. Its ok because its well within safety margins of the guns it was approved for but its nowhere near 100% safety margin unless the gun will handle 100k psi. Bottomline is any ruger large frame, bfr, dan wesson will handle a lifetime of 36k psi loads.

True but if we're comparing two cartridges with similar capabilities, you have to minimize variables. If you're gonna load just whatever pressure you want that allows your favorite cartridge to win, that's fine but the data you present won't be worth a puddle of dog piss. Would it be fair to compare the .45Colt at the aforementioned 36,000psi to the Buffalo Bore .44Mag load? No. There has to be a standard, a baseline. For me, that is to compare "Ruger only" .45Colt, which is really the only comparable data range available to standard pressure .44Mag. Just like Linebaugh did, only with no agenda.

Originally Posted by Tradmark
That said craig, theres many ways to win the 44 is better or has advantages over the 45 colt and its good and easy arguments to make but final and absolute terminal performance isnt one of them. I still think its close enough.

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't enter into this with an agenda, except to find the truth. It was never the point to prove that the .44 was better or had advantages over the .45. I grew up reading Seyfried, Taffin, Linebaugh, etc.. I believed all the stuff that people repeat about this subject. That the .45 provided better performance at less pressure. That it handled heavier bullets. Less recoil. Less blast. Better penetration. Blah, blah, blah. I believed it because those who espoused its virtues had credibility and there was no evidence to the contrary. When Hodgdon published their heavy bullet .44 data, they provided evidence to the contrary. I set about to test their loads to see what they did in actual guns. This "argument" is the result of that. I disproved, at least to my own satisfaction, that all of those virtues were non-existent.

The .45Colt does not offer more performance. It offers similar performance.

It does not handle heavier bullets, both do their best work with 355/360gr bullets but the .44 launches them faster.

The less pressure virtue is a requirement and it yields the shooter nothing.

It does not recoil less or have less muzzle blast. According to recoil calculators, it recoils MORE due to greater powder mass. In the hands, there is no difference with comparable loads.

It actually penetrates less using comparable bullet weights.

I always conceded on the diameter. It was only after I was pushed that I started looking at meplat diameters and found that the difference was not as black & white as some would have you believe.

The sad fact is that I have presented all this data. Facts. Not unsubstantiated opinion and it is NEVER countered with anything but indoctrinated nonsense. Like shrapnel's juvenile posts. No substance.

Originally Posted by Yondering
I can understand Craig's frustration here. If you actually read what he's been saying, he isn't saying 44 is better. He's saying the two cartridges are close enough that it doesn't matter, and is pointing out a lot of the misinformation that gets regurgitated by the 45 Colt fans. He's completely right, but some of you guys keep acting like we all have to argue for one or the other and can't just enjoy both.

CraigC, your posts on this are reasonable and well thought out, and your square approach without emotional bias or favoritism are refreshing. Hopefully some people can learn from what you've posted here.

Thank you!!!

Yeah, but the problem is that it's like saying the 41 Mag (with the same weight bullets) is the same thing as a 44, hence the the 357 is too. Granted, discerning a 41 hole from a 44 is much more difficult to find in a critter than a 44 versus 45, or at least that's been my experience with all three.

What gets lost in the very well reasoned arguments is bore size matters to the sedate hangun speed levels; I have LBT OWC 38's that have larger meplats than some 44 designs I have shot game with. Two things: 1. The 44's still make larger wounds at lower velocity, contrary to all the meplat worship. 2. The 38 caliber has to be driven to the gills to maintain the accuracy at hunting ranges and to even get close to the wounding ability of the 44 bullet, even when plodding along and the 38 driven 300-500 fps faster...

No it isn't. The .41 operates at the same pressure as the .44 but has less case capacity. So in the world of physics there's no way it can compete and perform the same tasks, let alone with the same weight bullets. I'm not even going to address the .357 reference.

So you can tell the difference in wounds between a .44 with a .300" meplat and a .45 with a .300" meplat? Wonders never cease. Bore size does not determine wound channel with cast or monometal bullets. In fact, all a larger bullet with the same diameter meplat does is decrease penetration.

My only experiences are on deer and hogs; folks who shoot larger stuff generally claim bigger is better too.

Bigger meplats, yes. Heavier bullets, yes. But we're talking about two cartridges that shoot the same weight bullets within 50-100fps of each other and have a lot of overlap in the meplat department. The two are entirely too close for one to claim advantage over the other. The only true step up from the .44 is the .475. More of everything, pressure, velocity, weight and a bigger meplat.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can a Freedom Arms 97 handle 44 mag pressures in 45 Colt? They don't make a 44 mag, just a 44 special and 45 Colt.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by CraigC

No it isn't. The .41 operates at the same pressure as the .44 but has less case capacity. So in the world of physics there's no way it can compete and perform the same tasks, let alone with the same weight bullets. I'm not even going to address the .357 reference.

So you can tell the difference in wounds between a .44 with a .300" meplat and a .45 with a .300" meplat? Wonders never cease. Bore size does not determine wound channel with cast or monometal bullets. In fact, all a larger bullet with the same diameter meplat does is decrease penetration.

Bigger meplats, yes. Heavier bullets, yes. But we're talking about two cartridges that shoot the same weight bullets within 50-100fps of each other and have a lot of overlap in the meplat department. The two are entirely too close for one to claim advantage over the other. The only true step up from the .44 is the .475. More of everything, pressure, velocity, weight and a bigger meplat.

First, historically, bore size determined wound channels and killing power WAY before anyone knew what a meplat was. The pointed/round 22 rimfire, the 44 rimfire and the 56 Spencer rimfire might be the first clue. Throw in the use of roundballs before that. You seem to be really educated on modern theory, but arrive a bit late in the concept of solids. Certainly, wonders do never cease. Perhaps a re-hash of the Philippine Insurrection might be in order, or the decimation of the American Bison.
Maybe a few hundred deer shot with slugs, real deer slugs, in 410 bore, 20, 16 and 12 gauge would give one some insight.

Again, I just posted you a picture of a 41 Keith with a larger meplat than any of the 44 bullets I've posted. Since you claim bore size has no determination in wound channel, I'd like you to explain how the 41 doesn't compete, "in the world of physics" with what many feel are inferior 44 bullets. I also posted my experience of a 38, both larger diameter meplat than posted 44's and driven faster on actual animals, not theoretical bullshit. The 38 OWC DOES NOT make a larger wound diameter than simple Keith 44's do. If you've seen this on actual kills, I'd like to hear what you saw that I apparently didn't, then tell me again how bore size doesn't have any determination on wound channel. I'd really like to hear it.

Another note on load data: Speer has had 300gr. 45 loads at 25,000 CUP and 300gr. 44 loads at 40,000 CUP for years in several manual editions. The data was shot from two 7.5 inch production guns.
It's worth a note in this argument/dicussion....

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I like the 44 Magnum. If I had a great 44 or 444 rifle, a 44 mag would absolutely be my heavy revolver.

10-11 years ago I decided I was reloading too many different cartridges that did about the same work. So I sold off my 44's and kept the 45 Colt. A 255 at 900 fps does 90% of what I need from woods gun and 'Ruger Loads' will handle the rest.

Gratuitous 45 Colt pic.

[Linked Image]

Sarge, I love the gratuitous picture of your Vaquero. Nicer than mine, for sure. For years, and a lot of miles I've carried a 44 mag in Alaska. As I get older and learn more I have leaned toward the 45 Colt. Recently I got lucky and found a nice Redhawk 4" in 45 Colt, to go with my blackhawk and Vaquero. I also used my other two Vaqueros in 45 Colt in CAS. Just seems more appropriate. Not into popcorn farts. Plus I dearly love the Buffalo Bore 325's for the 45 Colt. What doesn't it do???

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Caribou Jack. That Vaquero's easy life is over LOL. It's been zeroed for my Lee 255RF load, carried continuously, been soaked in sweat & rain and is already showing some holster wear.

That 45 Redhawk will make a kick-ass woods gun for AK. And yes, I gotta get back up there.

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/28/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I disproved, at least to my own satisfaction, that all of those virtues were non-existent.

You actually just contradicted yourself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First, historically, bore size determined wound channels and killing power WAY before anyone knew what a meplat was. The pointed/round 22 rimfire, the 44 rimfire and the 56 Spencer rimfire might be the first clue. Throw in the use of roundballs before that. You seem to be really educated on modern theory, but arrive a bit late in the concept of solids. Certainly, wonders do never cease. Perhaps a re-hash of the Philippine Insurrection might be in order, or the decimation of the American Bison.
Maybe a few hundred deer shot with slugs, real deer slugs, in 410 bore, 20, 16 and 12 gauge would give one some insight.

Again, I just posted you a picture of a 41 Keith with a larger meplat than any of the 44 bullets I've posted. Since you claim bore size has no determination in wound channel, I'd like you to explain how the 41 doesn't compete, "in the world of physics" with what many feel are inferior 44 bullets. I also posted my experience of a 38, both larger diameter meplat than posted 44's and driven faster on actual animals, not theoretical bullshit. The 38 OWC DOES NOT make a larger wound diameter than simple Keith 44's do. If you've seen this on actual kills, I'd like to hear what you saw that I apparently didn't, then tell me again how bore size doesn't have any determination on wound channel. I'd really like to hear it.

Another note on load data: Speer has had 300gr. 45 loads at 25,000 CUP and 300gr. 44 loads at 40,000 CUP for years in several manual editions. The data was shot from two 7.5 inch production guns.

Yeah, bore size was increased and thought to be the best way to gain terminal effect (mostly in the form of mass) for centuries. Long before we had the knowledge we have now of what actually destroys tissue and creates wound channels. I shouldn't have to point out that a flat nosed SWC or LBT creates a MUCH larger wound channel than a roundnose or roundball. Inf act, there is very little difference between the wound channel of a 9mm and .45ACP when using hardball. They both categorically suck. The fact that the bison herds were wiped out (not decimated) with heavy roundnose bullets is really irrelevant. I don't know why people think such vague, 150yr old references have any place in a discussion about terminal ballistics.

I've been hunting with handguns for over 30 friggin' years. So I don't know what you think you know that I do not. I just don't hunt with .357's, never have.

You likened the comparison between the .41 and .44 to that of the .44 and .45 and I was pointing out the flaw in that comparison. The .41 cannot compete in terms of bullet weight. While the .44 and .45 do their best work with the SAME weight bullets, the .41 cannot come close. There are some outdated 300gr SSK's from Beartooth but the 265's and 280's are much more common. That's a long way from 355/360gr.

Old tech 300gr jacketed bullets do not interest me and the loads you mention fall well short of the cartridge's potential, in both cases.

Originally Posted by jwp475
Buffalo with the 44

Are we really gonna do that again?

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I disproved, at least to my own satisfaction, that all of those virtues were non-existent.

That's all you got, grammar correction?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Terryk
Can a Freedom Arms 97 handle 44 mag pressures in 45 Colt? They don't make a 44 mag, just a 44 special and 45 Colt.

It can handle Ruger only pressures but is limited in overall cartridge length due to the relatively short cylinder.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yeah, bore size was increased and thought to be the best way to gain terminal effect (mostly in the form of mass) for centuries. Long before we had the knowledge we have now of what actually destroys tissue and creates wound channels. I shouldn't have to point out that a flat nosed SWC or LBT creates a MUCH larger wound channel than a roundnose or roundball. Inf act, there is very little difference between the wound channel of a 9mm and .45ACP when using hardball. They both categorically suck. The fact that the bison herds were wiped out (not decimated) with heavy roundnose bullets is really irrelevant. I don't know why people think such vague, 150yr old references have any place in a discussion about terminal ballistics.

I've been hunting with handguns for over 30 friggin' years. So I don't know what you think you know that I do not. I just don't hunt with .357's, never have.

You likened the comparison between the .41 and .44 to that of the .44 and .45 and I was pointing out the flaw in that comparison. The .41 cannot compete in terms of bullet weight. While the .44 and .45 do their best work with the SAME weight bullets, the .41 cannot come close. There are some outdated 300gr SSK's from Beartooth but the 265's and 280's are much more common. That's a long way from 355/360gr.

Old tech 300gr jacketed bullets do not interest me and the loads you mention fall well short of the cartridge's potential, in both cases.

Buffalo with the 44

Are we really gonna do that again?

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

That's all you got, grammar correction?

Dam sure took more than 1 shot

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, it took all of two.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How about 10 and then a finisher with a
500. The picture shows the number

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I saw a deer once shot 4 times with a 30/06 before it died. Clearly that wasn't a big enough bore since it took more than one shot; he shoulda used a 375 or stayed home.

whistle

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Funny, the half dozen people who were actually there don't seem to agree with you. Nor does the video that I guess I need to process and put on YouTube so you'll finally stop spreading lies and falsehoods.

It was on the ground after the first two and about 100yds. As you very well know, our trips to Hondo are not pure hunts but live bullet tests. So we try to get as many bullets into them as possible before they expire. That buffalo was not shot with a .500 until it was already dead. Just stop already.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Funny, the half dozen people who were actually there don't seem to agree with you. Nor does the video that I guess I need to process and put on YouTube so you'll finally stop spreading lies and falsehoods.

It was on the ground after the first two and about 100yds. As you very well know, our trips to Hondo are not pure hunts but live bullet tests. So we try to get as many bullets into them as possible before they expire. That buffalo was not shot with a .500 until it was already dead. Just stop already.

Most they do agree you sjit 10 holes withbtgr 44 to get him on the ground
Your claimbtgat the 45 doesn't handle heavy bullets better is laughable. The larger diameter assures that the same weight bullets will be shorter than the .429

HOW MANY HAVE YOU TAKEN WITH THE 45?

Last edited by jwp475; 08/28/19.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
I saw a deer once shot 4 times with a 30/06 before it died. Clearly that wasn't a big enough bore since it took more than one shot; he shoulda used a 375 or stayed home.

whistle

Did the shooter only claim one or two shots

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.