Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Cold, stiff, non-working, fingers is the reason I try to find piezo lighters.

Trying to spin the bic wheel and catch the valve trigger is kinda tough then.

Truth, what are your favorites? I tend to listen to when Northern folk talk about cold fingers. Old age and wrist injuries has resulted in my having trouble keeping my hands warm.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
No brand fave.
I used to get them at the tobacco shop. Now it seems they are all dope shops. Have not been in one yet.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The time I burned down that barn I used Charmin and book matches.

Very effective.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I might as well add my two cents! I make fire starters for all the kids, using empty skoal cans. Cut cardboard into strips that will roll and fit in the can. Take a strip of cotton rag that will also wrap with the cardboard, it's the wick! Melt paraffin wax and fill the can. When dry put two or three strike anywhere matches on top, put the lid on! You now have a candle that will burn hot and kindle most fuel! I have used these on the coast where the only fuel is knots from old dead trees! Even wet pitch soaked knots burn well! In the desert sage works as well!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Napalm and white phosphorus are quite effective.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Napalm and white phosphorus are quite effective.

(Mic drop, and walk away) wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Indian fire starter for me. Yep gasoline

Indians were a practical sort, they’d have used gas if available to them.

But the op makes a valid observation, not all fire starters are born equal.

From tents to tits, best to try out all your gear before taking it on the real deal.

These woods almost make it too easy, spruce pitch and birch bark, even when wet make for great fire starters.

I've never had any trouble finding kindling and fire starter under the thicker spruce trees even in the wettest conditions. That schitt takes off quick too.

Originally Posted by TBREW401
US Military Trioxane tabs work well , tho the fumes can be harmfull

Trioxane isn't that bad. It's hexane that'll kill ya which trioxane replaced.

I don't like or trust any butane lighter in the cold. A Zippo or two with a bottle of extra fuel and flints are the way to go. They light at any temperature. I actually use Coleman fuel for lighters and liquid fuel-fired handwarmers. It's cheaper and eliminates the need to buy and carry different fuels, especially if you already carry a liquid-fuel stove on your outings.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Have never heard a negative on zippos. Ive just never owned one. Probably should fix that.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have never heard a negative on zippos. Ive just never owned one. Probably should fix that.

The fuel evaporates...

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Does inner tube wrap not solve that?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
The fuel evaporates...

But you can use anything for fuel, naptha to gasoline. Real Zippos always work, the imitations depend on how your luck is jolding.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Diesel works well too. 😂

That's what an old Athabaskan man up here in Alaska told me.... " Indian method - cuppa diesel works every time!" smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tag for later reference

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

ZIPPO. You can roll the wheel against your leg, your sleeve, or about anything else to light it. If you can grasp the case at all, you can light it. And, it stays lit without having your frozen thumb on the lever. In an emergency, it's 100X better than a Bic. Yes, it has to be refilled every so often but that's not really an issue. Just fill it before you leave home. I keep a piece of bike inner tube around mine and it slows down the evaporation of the fluid.
If your hands are too cold to light a Zippo, read London's 'To Build a Fire' to see your future.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
ROCK CHUCK - " ... lighter: I've found that a good old Zippo is better than a Bic, even if you have to refill it periodically. For 1 thing, you can set it down while it's burning. With a Bic, you have to keep your thumb on the lever. If your hands are frozen, you can light a Zippo on your sleeve, pants, or whatever and you don't have to keep a frozen thumb on a lever to keep it lit.
A Zippo will light at any temperature or altitude. A Bic can give you problems. ... "

Same here with the ZIPPO. Easy to use, works in windy weather, and can even work like a candle. Been my "always with me" choice for 70 years.

L.W.

Just remember to bring extra fuel and flints

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For BIC lighters, the first thing I do when I buy one is take off that stupid child safety device. Makes it much better.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Most just use a small length of course hacksaw blade with a ferrocerium stick, it also makes the production of sawdust/slivers easy.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

ZIPPO. You can roll the wheel against your leg, your sleeve, or about anything else to light it. If you can grasp the case at all, you can light it. And, it stays lit without having your frozen thumb on the lever. In an emergency, it's 100X better than a Bic. Yes, it has to be refilled every so often but that's not really an issue. Just fill it before you leave home. I keep a piece of bike inner tube around mine and it slows down the evaporation of the fluid.
If your hands are too cold to light a Zippo, read London's 'To Build a Fire' to see your future.

Yup. Read that many times. It strikes a chord after many subzero winters in Fairbanks. I have a feeling for how quickly one can become too cold to function.

Now, I’m far more concerned with wet hypothermia than cold/dry hypothermia.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it would be impractical to outfit the Boy Scouts with a $15.00 butane cigar lighter, but holly smokes does that little pocket-able four head mini blowtorch ever throw a hot flame. Knock on wood, I've never needed to make an emergency fire, but if I did, that Firebird lighter is in my back pack at all times. In the driving wind, snow or rain isn't the time to discover that your $.99 cent Bic lighter won't work in the wind and rain. Back in Boy Scout camp we tried rubbing sticks together and what we made was a blister and a warm stick.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does inner tube wrap not solve that?

Sure does. Guarantee it.

[Linked Image]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 16 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.