24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As the title says, my vibratory tumbler of 25 years gave up the ghost last night.

What do you recommend I replace it with....ultrasonic, vibratory, rotary, walnut/corn media, stainless steel pins?????????

Thanks in advance.

HR IC

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've used a Lyman vibratory polisher for years with corn cob media and it has always worked great. Since it's "Lyman Orange", my kids have always called it The Pumpkin.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thumblers tumbler, fast, less mess

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bought a Cabela's house brand private label for back up for my Midway tumbler which is the Frankfort Arsenal one..

the Cabelas held a lot more brand, its lid is much more accessable.... its awfully darn quiet... and it stays when it sits when turned on....the Midway had to be put on a piece of carpet or it danced all over the counter....

I'm sure they are more now... but the Cabelas one was $44.50 when I bought it... close to, if not 10 years of more ago..
and its seen a lot of use....I turn it on at night and turn it off the next morning or so...

Bought a second one on sale 3 or 4 yrs ago as a backup for when this one croaks....but it doesn't seem to be in any rush to...
Cabelas gives a lifetime warranty on them also....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It depends on how clean you really need or want your cases.
I have been using a vibratory for decades the brand or media does not really matter, currently I have a Hornady with corn cob media and it works great for cleaning the outside of cases. A while back I started salt bath annealing some of my high volume cases and the first try was a disaster because vibratory cleaning does nothing to clean the inside of the case or primer pocket.
I solved the problems by getting a Lyman Cyclone rotary tumbler using the stainless pins, it cleans inside and out plus the primer pockets. The only downside to rotary is the cost, it’s double or triple the price of vibratory. I would not spend my money on ultrasonic

Last edited by boatanchor; 08/21/19. Reason: Change the name
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll echo Hanco on the Thumler's

I have two vibratory tumblers, a UV-10 and a UV-18, and a Model B if I decide to use pins.

The UV-10 is about 25 years old and has had a lot of use, still trucking along. I just got the 18 and like the additional capacity.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Honest question, just what does it matter whether or not the primer pocket is clean with salt bath?

Swifty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I used Midway vibratory with walnut hull for years, when tumbling with SS pins came along I switched to a Frankford Arsenal. While the SS pins definately got the brass sparkling clean inside and out I did not like having to dump the pins out of the cases nor prying the ones out of the primer pockets when they lodged there. I still use the tumbler, only NO pins just warm water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemi-shine. Gets the brass clean enough for my needs and I don't have to mess with the pins. I like the FA tumbler because it has a built in timer, just set it and forget it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Honest question, just what does it matter whether or not the primer pocket is clean with salt bath?

+1

Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had 2 Lyman and they have been doing the job for 4 years.

I sometimes let them run all night and have had no problem.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started out with a Thumblers barrel large model and while it worked the rubber has started to crack.

I use corn cob and have had better jobs with crushed walnut hulls.
Sold as lizard bedding.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the lizard bedding, particles are small enough they don't get stuck in the flash hole. Does a good job and is cheap as well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you all for your input. While gathering practical knowledge here I also went and read as many reviews as possible on various systems. Having been down the walnut/corn/lizard bedding path for the last 25 years I decided t drink the Kool Aid on the wet tumbling and purchased a Lyman Cyclone.

I'll post my impressions after I get a chance to load it up and try it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 300Winnie
Thank you all for your input. While gathering practical knowledge here I also went and read as many reviews as possible on various systems. Having been down the walnut/corn/lizard bedding path for the last 25 years I decided t drink the Kool Aid on the wet tumbling and purchased a Lyman Cyclone.

I'll post my impressions after I get a chance to load it up and try it.

If you're tumbling wet, try using Brass Juice and don't bother with the stainless pins, just brass and cleaning solution. It works pretty well.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Swifty52

+1

Inquiring minds want to know.

It doesn't. Maybe he thought the fouling in the case mouth was the problem? It doesn't cause any problems for me in salt bath annealing though. Cases do have to be completely dry though; if they are damp inside, THAT is a disaster.
(900° liquid + submerged moisture = steam explosion)

Last edited by Yondering; 08/23/19.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been using an RCBS tumbler for 25 years with zero issues. It's built like a tank.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Lyman vibrating case polisher also died. I sent a request for warranty. They never responded. It too was used many years. So no big deal. But I tend to use companies that have good warranties...
I’ve always been a Lyman fan, mainly due to cast bullets. But RCBS is also good and so far RCBS has as good a warranty as anyone in the business, in my opinion.
I have a rotating case polisher that is designed for polishing cases wet with stainless steel tumbling media along with water an lemon shine. I used this polisher with black powder cases and it has worked great.
I use this polisher for black powder and gray powder cases now. Though I don’t have to have shiny cases, mainly just clean. But every now and then I feel a polish is in order.
I think the rotating polisher will outlast me, but then I’m an old fart.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.