Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Are they making all their stuff in China ? I know that the rangefinding binoculars are.

The entry level product is China, the higher line is Japan

Bummer, I have an early Passion 4-12X40 that was made in Japan. Didn't realize they had moved some production to China.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do the Passion ED 8x32 compare favorably to?

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The only other thing I was wondering about is durability, but I see they have a good warranty. I'm generally careful with my equipment, but stuff happens, and the wilderness can test equipment at times.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Are they making all their stuff in China ? I know that the rangefinding binoculars are.

The entry level product is China, the higher line is Japan

Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I'll believe I'll be giving Doug a call for a price on on 12.5X50s

I am in this morning then off for the weekend. My brother Joel as well as Neil will be here while I'm out and you can always speak with them

For members here we will take special care of you on GPO, no worries. Give a call

This may be a really stupid question but I have to ask anyway....why is the name of the company GERMAN Precision Optics if all of their products are made in China or Japan??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
German engineered, I believe. Hawkes are British designed, fabrique en Chine. Tract are American designed, not sure who actually does the math on them. Made in Japan or other Asian places.

The way of the World now. What matters is what I get for my money. Rather pay for an honest Chinese product than throw money at crap put out by a company hiding behind the Flag. I do try pretty hard to buy U.S. when available in my price range; American Danners, Bemidji wool, hopefully Nightforce someday.

After Sunshine stopped making Golden Raisin Biscuits, I was "forced" to buy British Garibaldis. Hopefully, Brexit won't screw those up.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GPO is a German based company. Designed and quality controlled in German

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How are the GPO HD binoculars for controlling CA? Are they as good as the Zeiss FL's or HT's?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When they first came out 1 of the members of my hunting club was a factory rep for them. He sold us his samples for 60% off. All that were purchased were mid range scopes and they were all made in Japan. Every one that bought them is happy with them.

The owner of GPO is a former Zeiss executive and the American franchise ran Zeiss America.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RickBin
OK, so I was on the road when I saw this thread, and I wanted to put in two cents without actually causing a major auto accident. But I think I'd like to add a bit more. smile

So I have been evaluating GPOs, and jotting notes, and I figured I would post an excerpt of something I plan to post up here pretty soon.

Spoiler alert: GPOs are the BOMB!

"The GPO’s construction is solid, with emphasis on the details that count. Optically, the view is stunning. Color rendition is especially rewarding. Sharpness and resolution are on par with anything, and I mean anything out there. Mechanically, the Passion HD beats some of the best handily. The focusing mechanism is about perfect, a combination of focusing rate and just the right amount of resistance which allowed for easy microadjustment and a huge sweet spot. Of the half dozen binoculars compared informally, none approached the GPO in terms of ease of precise focusing. Similarly, the eyecups were stellar, which is too often not the case with other manufacturers, especially at this price point. The operation screamed premium, with solid locks at preselected eye relief distances that you could rely upon to stay put! Rubber armoring and aesthetics, again, premium all the way.

GPO is the real deal. As the name more than implies, EXPECT a binocular fully on par with German precision optics. If the fact that the optic is made in Japan bothers you, fine. Go and pay double or triple the price for another bino. Just don’t tell me you’re getting anything appreciably better."

How are the GPO HD binoculars for controlling CA?

CWT #14060954 08/19/19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CWT
What do the Passion ED 8x32 compare favorably to?

It is superior to a Zeiss Terra. I'd say on par with a Kowa BD series

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Talked to Doug today and I pulled (make that squeezed) the trigger on the 12.5X50 binos. I'm not even an armchair expert on optics but I'll post my average Joe impression soon.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Talked to Doug today and I pulled (make that squeezed) the trigger on the 12.5X50 binos. I'm not even an armchair expert on optics but I'll post my average Joe impression soon.

very nice... Looking forward to it..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
You should google “passion HD”.... there’s some GREAT reviews... laffin
Lol.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Follow up from above post, the only "good" glass I can compare them to is a 20+ yr old pair of swaros 8X30s.
I would say these are a very nice glass and compare favorably to my swaros. At 12.5X they are better suited to a tripod, but they are clear, focus wheel is right firmness when turning. Eye cups turn out for eyeglass wearers, and I prefer them out even without glasses.
Comes with a tripod adapter, case, strap, and rubber lens protectors. For my purpose and for the money I think they are a good value.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickBin
OK, so I was on the road when I saw this thread, and I wanted to put in two cents without actually causing a major auto accident. But I think I'd like to add a bit more. smile

So I have been evaluating GPOs, and jotting notes, and I figured I would post an excerpt of something I plan to post up here pretty soon.

Spoiler alert: GPOs are the BOMB!

"The GPO’s construction is solid, with emphasis on the details that count. Optically, the view is stunning. Color rendition is especially rewarding. Sharpness and resolution are on par with anything, and I mean anything out there. Mechanically, the Passion HD beats some of the best handily. The focusing mechanism is about perfect, a combination of focusing rate and just the right amount of resistance which allowed for easy microadjustment and a huge sweet spot. Of the half dozen binoculars compared informally, none approached the GPO in terms of ease of precise focusing. Similarly, the eyecups were stellar, which is too often not the case with other manufacturers, especially at this price point. The operation screamed premium, with solid locks at preselected eye relief distances that you could rely upon to stay put! Rubber armoring and aesthetics, again, premium all the way.

GPO is the real deal. As the name more than implies, EXPECT a binocular fully on par with German precision optics. If the fact that the optic is made in Japan bothers you, fine. Go and pay double or triple the price for another bino. Just don’t tell me you’re getting anything appreciably better."

Second this post. They are superb.

The GPO Passion (yeah dumb name) HD are from Japan. The Ed originally were from China, but I'm not sure if that remains the same.

GPO is run by Richard Schmidt in Germany. There are some former Zeiss engineers etc with him there. He is former President of Zeiss Sports Optical. In USA the guy is Mike Jensen, formerly with both Swarovski and Zeiss.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.