Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Got a leak in the (I think) 3/4 copper line feeding my house. When house is shut off, I can hear water outside the foundation wall. It’s about 5 feet down and the first five feet outside the wall are under a concrete porch.
Dirt is all heavy wet clumpy clay anytime I’ve dug before. Betting the leak is just outside the wall, any ideas how far sound would travel that deep along a copper line and through 8” of concrete.

Locator is coming this morning to locate the leak.
Is it worth doing yourself or paying someone if it’s under the porch?
Schedule k copper comes on a roll and needs a compression fitting, anything else I need to know?
Is a mini excavator the only way to go?
Never run one, but betting I could figure it out.

Please share any advice or suggestions, I’m all ears and want to keep water on at my place, right now we’re turning it off and on as needed at the street, can’t see dumping 48 g/h down the earth after I’ve paid for it.

Keep Smiling
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
is rerouting a new line from the street an option? one that doesn't go under the porch?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you contacted your public adjuster for insurance? NOT the insurance company YET. But, your public adjuster.

IF you do not have a good public adjuster, find one. Ask around, if necessary. Or, do an online search for adjusters in your area.

A good one is worth gold.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just my opinion, but if it is copper and sprung a leak, then a good probability is the entire pipe is on its way to failing. You might find enough good pipe to patch it but no guarantee it’s not going to pop another hole somewhere when it’s under pressure again. I would just pay to PEX it from the main to the house and be done with it.

Swifty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bummer, you typically own it from the street valve to your house.

You can buy “insurance” that’s about 75 bucks a year that will replace it in some places - but that’s generally before a leak.

The last 2-3 feed from the house is where movement screws with pipes / sewer lines... but if it’s gone, typically it needs to be replaced up to the street meter / valve.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

You can buy “insurance” that’s about 75 bucks a year that will replace it in some places - but that’s generally before a leak.

The last 2-3 feed from the house is where movement screws with pipes / sewer lines... but if it’s gone, typically it needs to be replaced up to the street meter / valve.

Typical Homeowners' insurance covers from the property line to the house. Again, a savvy public adjuster can tell you for sure after inspecting your policy's Dec page.

That said, here in FL, insurance companies are trying to wrest that from their coverage liability.

Originally Posted by rem141r
is rerouting a new line from the street an option? one that doesn't go under the porch?

This is how I solved the problem at one property AFTER getting paid by the insurance company.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have a 3/4" main line. If you should decide to replace the entire line, take a look at the connection to the city main to see if you can go with a larger size. You'll get considerably more water that way.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

That’s the way it is in Nebraska for both the water and sewer. Just went through this. Fortunately they replaced the water line with 2 PEX pipes 1 is a spare as a precaution. They were able to repair it as it wasn’t under concrete. The water line in front cost 700 bucks to repair. The sewer line in the alley to where it broke was a 1000 bucks. Neither covered by home insurance, but even if it was they wouldn’t have paid a cent due to deductible. Don’t think Colorado is much different.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Technically you have a water service leak

Not a water main leak.

The main is mine, the leak is yours. I used to enjoy telling people that.

Sorry bout your situation though.

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
It runs from meter under driveway, across yard and into house under porch. This may be fun. Locator should be here in a little while and he’ll trace line and find leak, betting it’s under porch and right beside foundation wall. May be able to move it to side of house, going to wait for locate to make more informed decisions.
Keep ideas coming please

Keep Smiling
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is that copper routed through any poured concrete slab near that porch? If so that might be were the corrosion and/break has happened.

Either, way I would replace the whole route and not with copper.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JonS
It runs from meter under driveway, across yard and into house under porch. This may be fun. Locator should be here in a little while and he’ll trace line and find leak, betting it’s under porch and right beside foundation wall. May be able to move it to side of house, going to wait for locate to make more informed decisions.
Keep ideas coming please

Maybe before you spend a lot of money, contact Bristoe here on the forum. He has an economical and time saving plan for your problem. And you won't have to dig up your entire line all at one time. laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Replace it with 1” pvc. I hate planning, I hate the word plumbing. My last day plumbing is approaching. Good luck, if I lived close I would help you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you people that live close to me should
know this.
If you ever and I mean ever, need some help on your
home improvement project, I'm probably busy.

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Around here you need to know what the local water authority will approve,copper/pex
each area is different.
you can also do a pressure test to verify that there is a leak,wont tell you where it is just for sure that it is leaking.
If you currently have copper and do switch to pex,double check that your panel is /isn't grounded to the copper,may need to drive a rod in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about other places but if you want to upsize your water service line and meter here you will pay big bucks.
Replace the whole line to the meter.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Around here 3/4 cts is standard for residential service. Pex is not approved for direct burial here. Five feet deep, hire a contractor. Call in a miss utility ticket. Usually around here, town will adjust water bill after a leak if you show a repair was made.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don't forget electrical ground if you replace copper with plastic.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don't forget electrical ground if you replace copper with plastic.

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hadn’t thought of the ground, thanks a bunch. Will call town Monday or the guy that helped me yesterday to see if copper or pex is approved.
May try and run to the side of the house opposite where it comes in now and manage from the inside as sweating aint that hard.
Please keep offering suggestions and help me do it right.
One suggestion I’ve heard is if leak is directly outside foundation wall to punch a 6” or so square hole at the pipe and fix without digging under porch.
Seems silly to me to put a hole in your foundation, but a contractor said he’d done it successfully.

Keep Smiling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.