Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am minding my own business today doing garage sales when I come across an old timey gray carton of Winchester Power-Points (hollow-points) - they had no price tag on them. I was hoping they would be affordable as these cardboard boxed Winchester 22 Long Rifle Power-Points are some of the most accurate and lethal 22 bullets I have ever used!
Anyway I grab them up and hunt down the garage saler and he relays how he wants $20.00 for the 500 round carton (10 boxes of 50 rounds).
I could not get the $20.00 out of my wallet fast enough.
As I am digesting this great buy (these bullets sell now for $50.00 or just under that these days) I ask the fellow if he has anymore of these bullets and he said he thought he did but wouldn't be able to look for them until tonight. I will be first in line at his sale tomorrow.
Anyone that Hunts small game and Varmints should try these dandy bullets - many shooters, of recent, contend that the newest version of these Winchester Power-Points are not quite as "accurate" as these older cardboard boxed munitions.
I have enough of both now to do some range testing.
Wish me luck for tomorrow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great find and a great price. Congrats. I hope you got the rest of them today.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm happy for you. Did the same thing myself several years ago. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad's 10/22 really likes that ammo. Great find!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good squirrell ammo, ive got two cases left

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
cardboard boxed Winchester 22 Long Rifle Power-Points are some of the most accurate and lethal 22 bullets I have ever used

+1

Tried some of the new PPs and they were no where as accurate. My Kimber 22 shoots the old ones into 1/2" at 50 yards but the new ones are about a 1.5 -2" pattern. I am hoarding 2 1/2 bricks to use for hunting only and occasional sight check.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
OSU Sig: So Sunday comes along and I am waiting for the garage sale to open at nine a.m and I am about to leave my place when along comes a monster hail storm (I have picutres of 2" diameter hailstones from my yard!) and I have to abandon plans and hide my cars under trees and in the neighbors three car garage (he's away to Australia) much damage in town but my cars were safe (my three car garage was full of my other three cars).
What a mess.
Missed going back but will try and get by and see if his sale was cancelled.
I got the one carton anyway.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Prwlr: I use the new Power-Point hollow-points in my Kimber Hunter/Silhouette and in my Remington heavy barrel 40-X and a couple other high end 22 Rifles along with several Ruger and Browning heavy barrel semi-auto pistols.
I seem to get very good accuracy in these various guns but I have just never tested the old against the new Power-Points directly. Now I have a chance and will do as soon as I get a chance.
Appreciate your experience.
Thanks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great find, VG.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some days you just get lucky

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old Winchester 75 and those old timey Power Points is the best combination of rifle and 22 ammo I have ever seen. Got four bricks of them that get used only on special occasions because I know that once they're gone, I'll never find any more at some yard sale.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a brick and a half left. My favorite squirrel ammo

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Localdirt, Dye7barrel, Kenlguy & Thumbcocker: I made a special trip to my friends private range today as the wind was next to dead calm and no big surprise, my newest 22 rimfire Rifle shot the old Winchester ammo extremely well!
This Rifle is a laminated stock heavy barrel Ruger American Varmint/Target with a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) groups were just at and just under 1/2" (5 shots at 50 yards).
Unfortunately my memory failed me and when I went to retrieve some of the "new" Power-Points from my range bag they were NOT there.
So comparison is held at bay for another windless day.
The ranch I was shooting on has Ground Squirrels galore on it but alas they have "gone down" for the year and none were out and about.
Would have been fun on this windless day.
Oh well - take the good with the bad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The old powerpoints were good for me too, as well as the Dynapoints and the standard Remington high velocity (green and yellow box). Don't know much about the new ones.
Lately I've had really good luck with Aguila SV, and the HV hasn't been far behind.
The SV is like CCI SV but cheaper and maybe even more accurate in general.

Hopefully you can pick up more PPs

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
unless you just have to have a hi velo round try some winchester sub sonic truncated cone hp 40 grain if you can still find them as it appears they have been dc's in favor for a 42 grain version. i have approx 6 bricks of it as all of my CZ's love it and its the best hp design i've personally seen.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: Not being critical just want to know, are you talking about accuracy, lethality on small game/Varmints or a combination of both when you relay your experiences?
Thanks for you input just help me understand better.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Whitearrow: I will be on the lookout for the Winchester sub-sonic 40 grainers.
The reason I use the higher velocity rounds is 95% of my "22" shooting/Hunting is on small game/Varmints and they are at unknown distances and the faster/flatter shooting rounds help me enjoy my ventures more.
I am just going to have to break down and lift my self imposed ban on CZ rimfires and give one (or a couple!) a try.
I just don't trust the CZ bassackwards safety and have stayed away from buying them for a long time now.
Every year I literally shoot a dozen different rimfire CZ's that belong to friends of mine and I haven't had an "A.D." (accidental discharge!) as yet.
Of course I fire each one of those friends Rifles just a time or two so maybe my hazardous forebodings are or aren't not justified - I just don't know?
Anyway I have yet to run across a CZ rimfire owner who has been disappointed in the accuracy of their rimfire Rifles!
And I have "ran across" a LOT of them!
Thanks for the tip and the input on your CZ's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I need to keep my eye out for more .22 rimfire ammo. I'm down to 20 or 30 bricks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 08/21/19.

LOL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fireball2: 22 L.R. ammunition of all kinds seem to be everywhere these days?
I still have not figured out that last rimfire shortage/scare?
Was it hussein obama instigated?
Hoarder instigated or manufacturer instigated (we make less ammo and ship less ammo and charge more for less and cheaper costs?)?
Anyway I am now, like you, in that I have enough ammo of enough kinds to "get by" (with careful useage) for the rest of my natural born days.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Obama yelled fire and everyone hoarded. Manufacturers as a business want to make every possible penny so I am pretty sure they didn't cut the supply. As a matter of fact, a lot of the manufacturers went around the clock and we started to import some of the rimfire ammo to feed the hoarding frenzy. Quality also went down hill too with some, because they were selling everything they could make.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.