Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kevin87 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Looking for a new 300 win mag. I've narrowed it down to a Christensen Ridgeline or a Browning Hells Canyon Long Range. I was going to build a gun, but decided it's just easier to buy one. Which one should I get? Thanks in advance.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m was thinking about a CA Ridgeline myself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No clue about the Browning, I’m sure it’s a good one.

I’ve got a CA Ridgeline in 300 RUM. Pretty good rifle and has shot well from the start. I did alter mine to take AICS magazines so I could stretch the 300 RUM out a little in COAL, shouldn’t be an issue with the 300 Win.

Overall it’s a slick rifle, good stock, great TT trigger, positives extraction and ejection and the chamber on mine seems to be fairly tight, meaning my fired cases have a bit less capacity than previous RUMs and the sizing die seems to barely do too awfully much compared to previous guns.

I like it so far. Good luck with your pick.

Semper Fi
K
Kevin87 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
That Ridgeline does feel awfully nice in hand. Plan on running the 215 Bergers with it. Ridgeline is a 10 twist, Browning is an 8 twist. Optimal twist is 9. So either a hair fast or slow. Both are good looking, but there's something about a CF barrel...

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Browning Hells Canyon

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used to think Christensen rifles were junk. I had a friend that worked for them and he agreed. A few years back he told me they were changing a lot of things and starting to make some good rifles.

I own a few now and they do seem much better than the older ones. I almost bought a mesa the other day. I have an elr 28 now and a ridgeline 280 ai. Quite a bit of rifle for the money and easier to sell used than a custom.

I agree that the 215 hybrid is an awesome bullet in a 300 and they shoot great from my 10 twist rifles.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/25/19.
K
Kevin87 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the input!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Kevin87
Looking for a new 300 win mag. I've narrowed it down to a Christensen Ridgeline or a Browning Hells Canyon Long Range. I was going to build a gun, but decided it's just easier to buy one. Which one should I get? Thanks in advance.
...............................I do not own either.....However, your decision between these two imo should be based on personal aesthetics and any little quirks you favor vs ones you do not favor as much. Make a list. Go with the one that in your view looks the best. Then get into the trigger, bedding, barrel, twist rates, rifle weights, etc. You want a bottom feeding detachable magazine or no?

They both will get your game if u do your part.

Me personally if given the choice between these two, would be inclined to go with the Christensen. I am not a detach mag fan and like the looks of the Christensen stock and barrel color better......Get what you like and good luck.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t own either of these rifles, but have handled them both at the shop.
There’s a lot to like with both models, but for me it came down to how they fit and handled.

The Browning was my first choice, until I shouldered it. The egros are wrong for me and a heavy recoiling cartridge was going to be uncomfortable at best. Otherwise I thought it was a well designed package. Some say the trigger is a weak link....idk.

The CA stocks fit me like a good work glove....perfect. But that’s just my take on it.
I liked the action and trigger as well.

I started scheming to buy a CA I one of the 6.5 variations, but just haven’t seen the need to drop the cash when I have a Kimber pulling 6.5 duty in the safe.....

You need to get hands on personally, to see which one is going to be right for you.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.