Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, got caught up with everything so began "looking over/ setting up" my new Mesa in 300WM. I first of all dropped the Barreled Action out of the stock for a Look See at the bedding, etc. Perfection for a Full floated Barrel ( I couldn't feel any forearm pad, will run a dollar bill down it, well, as nice as it is, I may have to wait for a "$100" Bill!) It all went back together tight, in fact had to rock it a bit and the floorplate/trigger assembly to refit. Put a dab of Loctite on the screws and torqued ( per CA recommendation of 65#. BTW, it was on 65# when I got it from them! classy!) I then put my Leupold 2 pc STD bases on, tightened well and then fought the rear when tightening the 2 opposing windage screws into the rear base! Leupold has began putting a thick "thread seal" Of course, I buggered them badly with my "so called" Gunsmith screwdriver. When I had them tight, and the scope lined up OK, I replaced them with 2 spares and took care with them. Anyone know who sells a screwdriver that "exactly fits" these morphydited Windage Screws????? AAArrrgh!. FAT Wrench doesn't! I will add that it is a very well put together rifle, if it isn't hand assembled it is close! Quality to the bone.

I then put Permatex Screw Seal on and tightened the Muzzle Cap. This feels (haven't weighed it yet) like what I call a "Light Sporter", not quite a Model 700 Classic/300WM but closer to the Mod 700 BDL SS synthetic 300WM I had. Just right for this 300WM. I then sat down and reduced the Trigger Tech Trigger ( can you believe that? Factory supplied/installed!) pull several "clicks" for a lighter pull. Supposedly they send it out set at 3#. Felt like it to me as I have no trigger scale. I then set it back on the wall ( I put a rifle there to look at during the day, lock it up at night) and admired my work! I am supposed to be released by the Hip Doc by Sept 9. Horefull, I will get to head to range that week too. Sheboygin! I'm a happy boy!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/24/19.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Couple days ago I cleaned the bore with Montana Extreme Bore Polish, then with WipeOut followed by EezOx. I also bore sighted the thing. Since my favorite range didn't actually burn up ( Bountiful Lions Club) I'm ready to zero! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Couple days ago I cleaned the bore with Montana Extreme Bore Polish, then with WipeOut followed by EezOx. I also bore sighted the thing. Since my favorite range didn't actually burn up ( Bountiful Lions Club) I'm ready to zero! smile

Let us know how she does.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I certainly wil pard! My first trip out with it, I will just put a box of this Federal 150sp through it. I will clean a bit as I go ( tight patch/rod more Bore Polish and EezOx.) I will zero initially at +2" high. On the flat shooters, I don't like to go higher than that as I have missed far more game shooting over, at mid range, than under! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 09/01/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.