Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Virginian2
I like the CCI SS HP for tree squirrels. .

They work well enough on coons, too. I spanked a coon with one this morning, and it settled him down real fast. His sibling got away, but it was a teaching moment for them both.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Curious body or head shot? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never noticed much difference until you stepped up to a Stinger.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Back in 1990-1991 there was a plague of rabbits around Malta in Southern Idaho. We hunted them an average of 3 times a week and each person had to have a brick of ammo to go with.

I'd tell the newbies to buy HP ammo and often times they did not the first time out but always did the second trip. I always liked the American eagle 38g HP even though they were only 400 to a brick. They were accurate and consistent. Some other HPs opened more, maybe killed a bit better but the AEs worked much better then solids. Every once in a while we would spring for some stingers. They killed jacks very fast.

Bb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like others have mentioned, there's no comparison. The HPs kill so much faster. I've lost many squirrels or had them fall well after shot with CCI Green Tag and other SV RNs. My new favorite HP is Aguila HV CPHP, they are super consistent(almost as good as expensive match). CCI MMs are pretty good as well, but vary too much lot to lot.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Paco Kelly makes, or used to make, a die to reshape the points of .22 LR ammo that a lot of folks seem to think increases the killing power compared to the average 40 grain RN bullets.

I think that Marshall Stanton may have written up a tool that he made from an old .22 barrel that allowed a person to file the end off a 40 grain RN .22 LR bullet, giving it a wide, flat, meplat that was claimed to make the reshaped bullet more deadly than the original.

If given a choice, I'd prefer to shoot tree squirrels with the 17HM2 than with a .22 S/L/LR.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Like others have mentioned, there's no comparison. The HPs kill so much faster. I've lost many squirrels or had them fall well after shot with CCI Green Tag and other SV RNs. My new favorite HP is Aguila HV CPHP, they are super consistent(almost as good as expensive match). CCI MMs are pretty good as well, but vary too much lot to lot.

I've got two cases of those stashed away. I like them heaps and heaps. I have a couple cases of the CPRN on hand, too. I used to be a huge CCI fan, but lately, I've been getting better results out of the Aguila products. It doesn't hurt that they're considerably less expensive, either. I've got six CZ rimfires, and all of them shoot into a half-inch with the Aguila stuff. My Rugers will do under 1" with them, and sometimes better.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/01/19.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I've got two cases of those stashed away. I like them heaps and heaps. I have a couple cases of the CPRN on hand, too. I used to be a huge CCI fan, but lately, I've been getting better results out of the Aguila products. It doesn't hurt that they're considerably less expensive, either. I've got six CZ rimfires, and all of them shoot into a half-inch with the Aguila stuff. My Rugers will do under 1" with them, and sometimes better.

Heck yeah man, they are great and you can’t beat the price. My two main guns for tree rats are an old Speed Master and RAR, both shoot 1/2” or better with the Ag CPHP and CPRN. Dang good performance for the price. They’re even priced reasonably at local stores here($25-$30/500).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Heck yeah man, they are great and you can’t beat the price. My two main guns for tree rats are an old Speed Master and RAR, both shoot 1/2” or better with the Ag CPHP and CPRN. Dang good performance for the price. They’re even priced reasonably at local stores here($25-$30/500).

Midsourh has them on sale until Oct. 31, $180/case (5000 rounds). The regular CPRN are $175/case. Heckuva deal, and I took advantage, big time. I can recommend their service, they ship fast, too.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Mike: Thanks for the Waltz die info now that Hanned is no longer available.

IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How's those Aguila's expand? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have tree squirrels about, but we do thousands of ground squirrels each spring. The idea with those is to get them dead with little worry as to shot angle or subsequent consumption. A lot fewer scamper off if one is using HP's. One also tends to hear the impact with HP's but not so with solids. Within reasonable ranges, I do try for heads, but if stretching out past 100 yds I'm happy with just a hit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 10/26/19.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
How's those Aguila's expand? Thanks.

They're pure lead, like any .22, and the nose is blunt, like on a Velocitor, so they should open up pretty easily. They sure shoot well, if nothing else, and a blunt meplat isn't a bad thing, unless it effects feeding (hasn't so far, anyway).

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
here in PA a bunch of us are using 223 with blue dot and Sierra 40gr blitzkings for tree rats. when using 22LR I love to use CCI stingers

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been dropping some squirrels lately with CCI Subsonic HPs - just puts them to sleep and ZERO Crack, VERY mild report, I would think I was using shorts.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/04/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used Win Power Points for many years when they were still being produced in Australia due to their great accuracy in my rimfires. I would sometimes find the bullets next to a sage rat as 1minute shows and it would be flat and about the size of a nickel or more.... these are hollow points. I've used just about everything but nothing seemed to equal the instant kinetic kill these would result in. For tree rats, just about anything works, as squirrels aren't particularly hard to kill and won't crawl into a hole in the ground to get away... as long as they are accurate in your rifle I would shoot what you brung and have a good day....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65BR
Been dropping some squirrels lately with CCI Subsonic HPs - just puts them to sleep and ZERO Crack, VERY mild report, I would think I was using shorts.

Those are my current favorite. The sound of impact seems louder than the muzzle report to me.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bob, the thing about the deep south, squirrels, if wounded, can and on occasion will crawl in a hole....in a tree. Rare, but not to be seen again. MOST of my shots are head shots, DRT and no meat loss, on occasion things do not go as planned. No big deal, those WW PPs are indeed the real deal, I have used them, nothing dropped rabbits on the spot faster, and I have a stash from the early run, they do 10 in a hole at 50 yds in my custom 77/22. These CCI Subsonic HPs I have been trying lately, are deadly as well, and quiet. Not as flat...but no issues yet.

Yes Phillip - it's cool hearing that THUMP!! Or is it THWACK! Lol. Oh, and then when they hit the ground after falling from a tall tree smile They are a bit quieter in a 22.5" than my 17" custom. Even in the short tube, very mild report. No loud crack, and it matters to post shot reaction to others in the area, of if you happen to fail to connect.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/07/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CCI RN for 22LR and Total metal jacket CCI in 22 wmr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dont eat the big white mint!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Eley subsonic hollow point, and never look back. Very accurate in almost every gun I have ever tried it in

^ Could not agree more. I’ve gone to them pretty much exclusively for everything.

I shoot a lot of jackrabbits. This summer I found myself out in the middle of the desert with nothing but round nose after leaving my regular Eley SS HP hunting ammo back at the house. I pretty quickly found out just how poor a substitute round nose is for jacks which would normally drop like being struck by lightning when hit with the Eley. Eley makes an unmistakable solid “WHOP!” sound on impact and just floors them. The solids just maimed and wounded and required multiple hits to put them down. I will never use them again on live game.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.