Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Read some folks say their experience with solids - are very good on game, my question, is that typically match or standard velocity and being used for head shots?

What has your experience been with solid RN 22 LR on game, on body shots? Details i.e. animal/game taken, range, shot placement, Std. Vel or HV?

Noticed a good bit of difference in POI of HV vs Standard and Subsonic. Once sighted, do you folks have trouble on longer shots with trajectory affecting placement? Any of you guys dialing turrets or using a rimfire ballistic reticle?

Thanks for those who want to share.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cottontails will die from a dirty look or sarcasm. Squirrels are tough. I always use HPs for squirrels, and try for head shots so as not to chew up any meat (no brains for me). SS HPs work just fine and are very unobtrusive in the woods, but it really comes down to what shoots best in a particular rifle. I zero at 50 and can't recall shooting any further on game.

I recall my late brother shooting a big fox squirrel through the chest with Eley Tenex. Don't recall exactly how many shots it finally took, but it was more than two. If you can always hit the brain, anything will drop them. I prefer a little wiggle room, so stick with HPs. Leaving a wounded critter to die in a hole ruins my hunt.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
HP's are way better killers with body shots on all manner of small game and varmints. Some HP's are way more effective than others too. Winchester Power Points and Remington Yellow Jackets for instance, have wide, deep HP's, expand fast and wide and are far better/quicker killers than the bulk pack Federals with the tiny, shallow HP's. On tougher game like squirrels or woodchucks, solids, whether standard or high velocity are poor/slow killers.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Eley subsonic hollow point, and never look back. Very accurate in almost every gun I have ever tried it in

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Blackheart
HP's are way better killers with body shots on all manner of small game and varmints. Some HP's are way more effective than others too. Winchester Power Points and Remington Yellow Jackets for instance, have wide, deep HP's, expand fast and wide and are far better/quicker killers than the bulk pack Federals with the tiny, shallow HP's.

My assessment too. Big high velocity hollow points will perform better than the shallow hollow points. Speed will make the hollow points expand quicker and larger. My targets are mainly jackrabbits and rockchucks. I have experienced POI changes when shooting different rounds, HV or not. My preferred rounds are the Browning or Winchester Hyper Velocity HP's with CCI Mini-Mags second.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I squirrel hunt with CCI SV round nose and don't have any problems. Maybe 1/4 are head shots. I wont say I never had a wounded squirrel get away, but that is rare. Most just fold up and fall out of the tree.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use whatever shoots best in that rifle (I have plenty of rimfire rifles.) Some rifles prefer HPs and some like RN better.

Like the underwear, it depends.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Decades beyond the point when I thought HV and hollow points were the schizzle. SV/subsonic solids be all I shoot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with Oldman3. I've been using nothing but CCI SV round nose solids, for the last 7-8 yrs. I can count on one hand the number that got away wounded. Most just fold uo and fall out of the tree.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a suppressor so I stick with subsonic ammo and i'm a believer in hollow point ammo .

I killed thousands of ground squirrels in Idaho using a fixed barrel .177 1000fps pellet rifle . Round nose pellets didn't kill them anywhere near as well as the flat RWS pellets - no comparison between the two types of tips . Not exactly apples to apples but you can see the parallel for comparison. In bullet testing the Military calls it ''tear'' a RN pushes flesh out of it's way were-as a HP or flat type projectile tears it's way through causing more trauma and energy delivery .

22lr same same round nose ammo vs hollowpoint - HP all the way .
I've got one of the HP dies that will make huge HP's on 22lr ammo , the bigger the HP the harder the smack .
RWS SV HP lead is very soft and expands extremely well , caught a coyote in a snare and the dispatch with the RWS SV HP took a few shots , the soft lead HP didn't want to penetrate the skull bone . BUT that same ammo knocks a squirrel off a tree down and dead . I've opened up the HP HUGE on that ammo and on Norma Tac SS and have had bullets that didn't even exit on small grey squirrels - delivering 100% of the energy into the squirrel . With the Suppressor it's easy to discern the sound of the smack -- you know it connected hard and squirrels drop everytime at the shot .
We have squirrel infestations around the hog feeders - I've sat in a blind and shot 6-8 in an hour - leave go to another feeder - repeat - come back to first spot 2 hours later - repeat - they never stop coming . But go squirrel hunting 200 yards from a feeder and you'll be lucky to see one in a days time.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My experience is with ground squirrels rather than edible tree squirrels. On body hits ground squirrels die quickly, and sometimes rather dramatically, when hit with hollow points - whereas hitting them with round nose they usually make it back to their hole to die a lingering death or to be eaten by their brethern.

The ground squirrels in the west are smaller and quite often a round nose will go through them with little apparent damage but the hollow points disable them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience has been the same as Drover's on both tree & ground squirrels. I went to head shots only for tree squirrels back in the 50s when I got a scope on my rifle. Prior to that I had a few solid point body shots that didn't turn out so good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by drover
My experience is with ground squirrels rather than edible tree squirrels. On body hits ground squirrels die quickly, and sometimes rather dramatically, when hit with hollow points - whereas hitting them with round nose they usually make it back to their hole to die a lingering death or to be eaten by their brethern.

The ground squirrels in the west are smaller and quite often a round nose will go through them with little apparent damage but the hollow points disable them.

drover

True and when you have a 500 shot day at ground squirrels scampering everywhere you look - even had them run between my legs sitting on my shooting stool , you see what kills and what is just ok .
CCI SV HP - like 3-4cents each back in 07--08 - just shoot them through the chest and they are dead right htere .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by drover

drover

True and when you have a 500 shot day at ground squirrels scampering everywhere you look - even had them run between my legs sitting on my shooting stool , you see what kills and what is just ok .
CCI SV HP - like 3-4cents each back in 07--08 - just shoot them through the chest and they are dead right htere .
Yep, It's the same with tree squirrels. I've never shot ground squirrels but have been an avid tree squirrel hunter for almost 50 years. When I was younger I'd shoot 125-150 most years. The past few years I'm down in the 70-90 per year range but that still adds up to several thousand over my lifetime.You kill that many, you see the differences and learn what works best.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
My experience has been the same as Drover's on both tree & ground squirrels. I went to head shots only for tree squirrels back in the 50s when I got a scope on my rifle. Prior to that I had a few solid point body shots that didn't turn out so good.
I don't wait for head shots. I'll take em if I've got em but kill a bunch every year that I can't even see their heads when I shoot them. I'm out there to kill squirrels and get as many as I can each outing. Never ate squirrel ribs and don't know anybody who does so have no problem putting holes through them. I can kill twice as many squirrels in half the time that way.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good feedback / info everyone. Thanks. Re: that tool for making HPs, who made yours?

Am I seeing a trend, that when using Solid RN's, that a SV - Std. Vel round may have higher rates of killing game vs High Vel RNs?

I popped a squirrel last season with a CCI SS HP and it just folded up with a body shot, it was running around feeding at the top of a very large Oak...a head shot would have taken more time or perhaps not been doable. I noticed less of a crack and some hunters say the Subsonic does not run off other tree squirrels as much vs a hi-vel that gives a sharp crack in it's report.

Last edited by 65BR; 08/25/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
I noticed less of a crack and some hunters say the Subsonic does not run off other tree squirrels as much vs a hi-vel that gives a sharp crack in it's report.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I've used both and haven't seen any difference. In fact, I've sat in one spot and killed my limit of 6 in under an hour with my .22 magnum many times. Have done the same with a shotgun too. The noise and movement of operating a manual action will do more to spook them than the report. Likewise dead squirrels falling through the leaves/branches and hitting the ground with a thud does more to spook others in the same tree or others close by than the report of the rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Cottontails will die from a dirty look or sarcasm. Squirrels are tough. I always use HPs for squirrels, and try for head shots so as not to chew up any meat (no brains for me). SS HPs work just fine and are very unobtrusive in the woods, but it really comes down to what shoots best in a particular rifle. I zero at 50 and can't recall shooting any further on game.

I recall my late brother shooting a big fox squirrel through the chest with Eley Tenex. Don't recall exactly how many shots it finally took, but it was more than two. If you can always hit the brain, anything will drop them. I prefer a little wiggle room, so stick with HPs. Leaving a wounded critter to die in a hole ruins my hunt.

My feelings exactly. i stocked up on Eley SS HP's when the getting was good . Everything I own shoots them well and they work very well for hunting .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, the RWS SSHP shoots like a house on fire in several of my rifles...

It has become my "go to" squirrel round now...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just my experience, but where I hunt has a lot of bluffs, crevices, etc.. Either HP or solids will kill effectively, but I have found that HPs generally kill quicker/deader than solids even on head shots and I tend to see less flopping around. This helps to limit chances of winding up hidden in a hole or crevice in the rocks or leaves. I like for them to stay where they land upon fallling so I tend to use HPs for most of my hunting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'm in the subsonic crowd and my absolute fav being the winchester subsonic hp 40grain truncated cone. i believe its been dc'd in favor of the 42 grain max winchester subsonic. cci and rws makes good looking BIG hp cavities also. any good,winchester,eley,cci,rws or sk jagd, subsonic hp will do the trick.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with those lads shooting Western Ground squirrels who are not very large. It seems like all ammo works on them if hit in the body but HP's are more sudden and acrobatic.
I like shooting them with the ammo that works best in that rifle.

However when shooting jackrabbits, who are big and can be tough, it's HP's all the way and lately it's been a .17HMR. Ground squirrels are usually taken at closer range for me like the 25-60 yard range while the jackrabbits, if stationery, are from 50-100+ yards. Hitting a jackrabbit with a .22lr at 125 yards is usually a test but with the .17 HMR,.....it's cake.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
HP's are way better killers with body shots on all manner of small game and varmints. Some HP's are way more effective than others too. Winchester Power Points and Remington Yellow Jackets for instance, have wide, deep HP's, expand fast and wide and are far better/quicker killers than the bulk pack Federals with the tiny, shallow HP's. On tougher game like squirrels or woodchucks, solids, whether standard or high velocity are poor/slow killers.

This matches my experience on rabbits, hares, feral cats and foxes. Winchester Power Point (the Australian-made, 40 gn version) is a particular favourite of mine. The bullets hit with a noticeable "thwop" and kill very well, even on body shots. I have also used Winchester Subsonic, which uses the same bullet, and they are nearly as good. Both have also proved very accurate in my rifles.

Solids work fine if you brain them, but otherwise haven't been much good for anything but plinking, practice or, with the good stuff, target competition. The bulk-pack Federal, and other ones like them with small hollow points, have been no better than solids in my experience. I have tried a fair few HV and SV solids, and a fair few other HV and SV HPs of similar form to the Federal bulk pack over the last few decades, and none has been anywhere near as effective as the Winchester Power Point or the very similar Remington Yellow Jacket..

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
For early season squirrels I prefer sub sonic hollow points. Soft points sometimes leave the squirrel clinging to a limb after a good shot. Hollow points do a better job of knocking them out of the tree. For late season squirrels and rabbits I prefer CCI mini mag hollow points for the extra range.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Remington SS HP’s and head shots

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hollow point or round nose? Neither. Because individual 22 LR rifles are so ammunition dependent regarding accuracy, I shoot whatever is most accurate in my rifle. I then use a die that precisely files the bullet tip into a flat nose. I like the CCI Small Game factory rounds but some of my rifles do not like them for accuracy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For decades I've used Eley Tenex or similar premo match ammo for squirrels. I strive for head shots but shot a fair percentage through the chest too, and have never lost one, and don't recall many if any second shots to finish them off. Putting a solid 40 grain bullet through a squirrel's chest at 1000fps is like putting a 50mm shell at 1000fps through you or me. Death is the result and expansion isn't necessary IMO.

Hollowpoints to me are secondary to pure accuracy. If I find an accurate HP load, great. If not a HP, great too.

I did latch onto a brick of Federal Hunter Match HP's for curiosity sakes this year, and shot a couple 50 yard backyard groundhogs with them. Through the neck and dead right there. Pretty slim statistical proof but there you have it. I was/am impressed by the paper accuracy of those rounds too. In reality, previous garden marauder groundhogs succumbed to Eley Tenex in the head/neck too, as did a couple with .22 shorts.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bobmn
Hollow point or round nose? Neither. Because individual 22 LR rifles are so ammunition dependent regarding accuracy, I shoot whatever is most accurate in my rifle. I then use a die that precisely files the bullet tip into a flat nose. I like the CCI Small Game factory rounds but some of my rifles do not like them for accuracy.

That was going to be my question... I have two of the Paco Kelly tools and the original Hannad small game bullet die and no matter what I do I just have not been able to get the consistent accuracy needed for small game shots inside 50 yards...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
65BR: I no longer allow "round nose" ammunition to be used in my presence on Ground Squirrel safaris!
I do from 80 to 100 Ground Squirrel Hunts every year.
I haven't used it (round nose 22 L.R. ammo) myself in about 4 decades and no longer tolerate my Varminting friends and companions using round nose ammo either.
I just became tired and then sick of seeing the worthy little Varmints dragging themselves off into their holes after being struck with round nose ammo - not every time but WAY to often for me to enjoy a Ground Squirrel outing!
Way less "wounding" with quality hollow-point ammunition.
Case closed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got to thinking and remembered what an old man told me when I was just a youngster. He hunted squirrels with a .22 and only used shorts with the round nose. He said the faster bullets 'just whizzed thru', thus the shorts killed better. I never hunted squirrels with .22 shorts, but might give it a try someday.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff guys, yes, re: the shorts that old timer said....I've often 'sensed' in experience that faster solids seem to wound more than slower ones...if using solids. Not that HV will give any hydrostatic shock like a centerfire. Even with Mini-Mags, here in the thick south, had rabbits soak up a body hit and go off in the brush to be lost, granted those were longer shots, perhaps expansion iffy. The WW Power-Points ANCHORED them IME.

I've mostly run HP's of various sorts on tree rats....some from handguns. Read many glowing reports of the match brand SS HPs like RWS and ELEY, but also the CCI seem to do well, perhaps not always as consistently accurate, testing would confirm.

On the guy above using a magnum, are you using a semi-auto? You mentioned manually loading being a distraction.

Last year my limited experience at the end of season using CCI SS HPs, the pop did not bother other squirrels as much as the crack of a HV, but I have a small amount of experience to draw any conclusion. They did hit with a solid thump/whack, and they folded up, one a body shot.

Years ago late one evening, I was shooting grey squirrels with a then Marlin 75 HB Carbine, had a short mag under stock, fed with Rem SS HPs, and a 2.5x Leupold, reticle almost covering the little squirrels but it was very effective. Not sure if the Rems are as accurate across the board as CCIs in SS HP.

Not sure I have any left, but long ago had a few bricks of WW Silhouette, have to see if they were 40 or 42s, and if HP...I recall buying them with the intent of hunting, but no doubt a Power Point is a sure killer, and my old stash shoots 5 or even 10 in a dime in a 77/22 - CNC reworked a 10/22 Butler Creek HB, cut to 17" - feels like a truck axle so I seldom take it these days. Always wanted a Clark Custom 10/22 with fluted heavy SS 16" - called the Squirrel Special. Perhaps with their trigger job it's nice, but not sure if that trigger can match a good bolt trigger.

Appreciate everyone participating. I have not lost many squirrels over the years that I have hit, but a few, even with shotguns, but I really get irritated with anything other than a DRT, and hate losing any. Thanks folks.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Subsonic hollow points are all I use for squirrels. My farm truck 10/22 stays loaded with bulk box high velocity hollow points for coons, beaver, stray cats, and any other vermin.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used to squirrel hunt several times a year. Tried to put a bunch the freezer. Always used HPs usually CCI Mini Mags. I have tried solids and they don't kill as quickly. They just don't. Head shots only they work fine.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My game shooting of late has been offing every red squirrel that I see at our place up north. The Winchester 36 grain hollow points make such a mess out of them that I can't imagine using that bullet for something that I'd want to eat later. Without being too graphic, I'd just call that hp bullet a REALLY humane way to go if you were a red squirrel.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love to hunt gray squirrels and a good .22LR bolt action rifle is my favorite. My squirrel rifle is a Kimber Hunter and I use Wolf Match Target LRN ammo. I do want head shots, and am willing to pass on shots where I can't reasonably make the shot. This combination works well for me.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a problem last year with putting skunks down permanently with RN ammo. Switched to HV HP ammo and problem solved. Present ammo in use is Remington Golden HP , which shoots very well in my Tikka. The CCI Velocitor shoots equally well, but is more expensive. I have several RN ammo types that shoot as well or better, but they just aren’t as effective on skunks, coons, and armadillos.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
http://www.portercalls.com/neal_waltz_die.htm

Info on Waltz Die hollow pointer die .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A solid, standard HV, to turn a large tomato eating groundhog into a large pot of Appalachian stew.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I like the CCI SS HP for tree squirrels. The Eley SS HP is a little more accurate but it's right much more expensive and not readily available.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff gang, appreciate all the info and links.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Virginian2
I like the CCI SS HP for tree squirrels. .

They work well enough on coons, too. I spanked a coon with one this morning, and it settled him down real fast. His sibling got away, but it was a teaching moment for them both.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Curious body or head shot? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never noticed much difference until you stepped up to a Stinger.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Back in 1990-1991 there was a plague of rabbits around Malta in Southern Idaho. We hunted them an average of 3 times a week and each person had to have a brick of ammo to go with.

I'd tell the newbies to buy HP ammo and often times they did not the first time out but always did the second trip. I always liked the American eagle 38g HP even though they were only 400 to a brick. They were accurate and consistent. Some other HPs opened more, maybe killed a bit better but the AEs worked much better then solids. Every once in a while we would spring for some stingers. They killed jacks very fast.

Bb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like others have mentioned, there's no comparison. The HPs kill so much faster. I've lost many squirrels or had them fall well after shot with CCI Green Tag and other SV RNs. My new favorite HP is Aguila HV CPHP, they are super consistent(almost as good as expensive match). CCI MMs are pretty good as well, but vary too much lot to lot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paco Kelly makes, or used to make, a die to reshape the points of .22 LR ammo that a lot of folks seem to think increases the killing power compared to the average 40 grain RN bullets.

I think that Marshall Stanton may have written up a tool that he made from an old .22 barrel that allowed a person to file the end off a 40 grain RN .22 LR bullet, giving it a wide, flat, meplat that was claimed to make the reshaped bullet more deadly than the original.

If given a choice, I'd prefer to shoot tree squirrels with the 17HM2 than with a .22 S/L/LR.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Like others have mentioned, there's no comparison. The HPs kill so much faster. I've lost many squirrels or had them fall well after shot with CCI Green Tag and other SV RNs. My new favorite HP is Aguila HV CPHP, they are super consistent(almost as good as expensive match). CCI MMs are pretty good as well, but vary too much lot to lot.

I've got two cases of those stashed away. I like them heaps and heaps. I have a couple cases of the CPRN on hand, too. I used to be a huge CCI fan, but lately, I've been getting better results out of the Aguila products. It doesn't hurt that they're considerably less expensive, either. I've got six CZ rimfires, and all of them shoot into a half-inch with the Aguila stuff. My Rugers will do under 1" with them, and sometimes better.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/01/19.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

I've got two cases of those stashed away. I like them heaps and heaps. I have a couple cases of the CPRN on hand, too. I used to be a huge CCI fan, but lately, I've been getting better results out of the Aguila products. It doesn't hurt that they're considerably less expensive, either. I've got six CZ rimfires, and all of them shoot into a half-inch with the Aguila stuff. My Rugers will do under 1" with them, and sometimes better.

Heck yeah man, they are great and you can’t beat the price. My two main guns for tree rats are an old Speed Master and RAR, both shoot 1/2” or better with the Ag CPHP and CPRN. Dang good performance for the price. They’re even priced reasonably at local stores here($25-$30/500).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Heck yeah man, they are great and you can’t beat the price. My two main guns for tree rats are an old Speed Master and RAR, both shoot 1/2” or better with the Ag CPHP and CPRN. Dang good performance for the price. They’re even priced reasonably at local stores here($25-$30/500).

Midsourh has them on sale until Oct. 31, $180/case (5000 rounds). The regular CPRN are $175/case. Heckuva deal, and I took advantage, big time. I can recommend their service, they ship fast, too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mike: Thanks for the Waltz die info now that Hanned is no longer available.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How's those Aguila's expand? Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have tree squirrels about, but we do thousands of ground squirrels each spring. The idea with those is to get them dead with little worry as to shot angle or subsequent consumption. A lot fewer scamper off if one is using HP's. One also tends to hear the impact with HP's but not so with solids. Within reasonable ranges, I do try for heads, but if stretching out past 100 yds I'm happy with just a hit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 10/26/19.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
How's those Aguila's expand? Thanks.

They're pure lead, like any .22, and the nose is blunt, like on a Velocitor, so they should open up pretty easily. They sure shoot well, if nothing else, and a blunt meplat isn't a bad thing, unless it effects feeding (hasn't so far, anyway).

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
here in PA a bunch of us are using 223 with blue dot and Sierra 40gr blitzkings for tree rats. when using 22LR I love to use CCI stingers

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been dropping some squirrels lately with CCI Subsonic HPs - just puts them to sleep and ZERO Crack, VERY mild report, I would think I was using shorts.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/04/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used Win Power Points for many years when they were still being produced in Australia due to their great accuracy in my rimfires. I would sometimes find the bullets next to a sage rat as 1minute shows and it would be flat and about the size of a nickel or more.... these are hollow points. I've used just about everything but nothing seemed to equal the instant kinetic kill these would result in. For tree rats, just about anything works, as squirrels aren't particularly hard to kill and won't crawl into a hole in the ground to get away... as long as they are accurate in your rifle I would shoot what you brung and have a good day....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been dropping some squirrels lately with CCI Subsonic HPs - just puts them to sleep and ZERO Crack, VERY mild report, I would think I was using shorts.

Those are my current favorite. The sound of impact seems louder than the muzzle report to me.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bob, the thing about the deep south, squirrels, if wounded, can and on occasion will crawl in a hole....in a tree. Rare, but not to be seen again. MOST of my shots are head shots, DRT and no meat loss, on occasion things do not go as planned. No big deal, those WW PPs are indeed the real deal, I have used them, nothing dropped rabbits on the spot faster, and I have a stash from the early run, they do 10 in a hole at 50 yds in my custom 77/22. These CCI Subsonic HPs I have been trying lately, are deadly as well, and quiet. Not as flat...but no issues yet.

Yes Phillip - it's cool hearing that THUMP!! Or is it THWACK! Lol. Oh, and then when they hit the ground after falling from a tall tree smile They are a bit quieter in a 22.5" than my 17" custom. Even in the short tube, very mild report. No loud crack, and it matters to post shot reaction to others in the area, of if you happen to fail to connect.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/07/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CCI RN for 22LR and Total metal jacket CCI in 22 wmr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dont eat the big white mint!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Eley subsonic hollow point, and never look back. Very accurate in almost every gun I have ever tried it in

^ Could not agree more. I’ve gone to them pretty much exclusively for everything.

I shoot a lot of jackrabbits. This summer I found myself out in the middle of the desert with nothing but round nose after leaving my regular Eley SS HP hunting ammo back at the house. I pretty quickly found out just how poor a substitute round nose is for jacks which would normally drop like being struck by lightning when hit with the Eley. Eley makes an unmistakable solid “WHOP!” sound on impact and just floors them. The solids just maimed and wounded and required multiple hits to put them down. I will never use them again on live game.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

^ Could not agree more. I’ve gone to them pretty much exclusively for everything.

I shoot a lot of jackrabbits. This summer I found myself out in the middle of the desert with nothing but round nose after leaving my regular Eley SS HP hunting ammo back at the house. I pretty quickly found out just how poor a substitute round nose is for jacks which would normally drop like being struck by lightning when hit with the Eley. Eley makes an unmistakable solid “WHOP!” sound on impact and just floors them. The solids just maimed and wounded and required multiple hits to put them down. I will never use them again on live game.

Try Winchester Power Points- you won't be disappointed in the terminal results.... I have found the bullets laying on the ground next to dead critters and quite often they are flattened out about the size of a nickel. I've used them up to coyotes and they are very effective....

Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sheister

Try Winchester Power Points- you won't be disappointed in the terminal results.... I have found the bullets laying on the ground next to dead critters and quite often they are flattened out about the size of a nickel. I've used them up to coyotes and they are very effective....

Bob

Used to use them all the time back when they were still Australian. I switched to quality SS, Euro made ammo pretty much exclusively many years ago and it’s all I use now in all my rimfires. Eley, SK, Wolf, etc. they shoot so well and they’re so quiet, there’s no need for anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

Used to use them all the time back when they were still Australian. I switched to quality SS, Euro made ammo pretty much exclusively many years ago and it’s all I use now in all my rimfires. Eley, SK, Wolf, etc. they shoot so well and they’re so quiet, there’s no need for anything else.

I found it depends on the rifle if the USA made Power Points are going to be acceptably accurate. In my 52B, the Australian PP's would consistently shoot .2-.3" at 50 yards. The new ones will usually print around .5" at 50. In some of my rifles, they are all over the place, but for some reason all my Winchesters seem to like them- my 69A's, 75 Sporter, and my 52C will usually put them into .5" -.7" all day long. My other rimfires seem to not like them quite as much. But even in the Winchesters I have found they aren't nearly as consistent at 100 as the old Australian produced PP were...

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I only shoot hp on game...

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.