Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
He looks a little short in limb and body for a full Lab but there are plenty of other ancestral lines other than Pit that could make him look that way. My guess is his mother was a Lab.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could have some English lab in him.

Or could be a runt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by McInnis
I forgot to ask, will a black lab ever have a white chest patch like he does?

I’m pretty happy with him, but am thinking about doing a DNA test just to satisfy my curiosity. Has anyone here ever done one of those? Was it worth it?

Had a DNA test done last year and the results came that came back were no where what we were told by the vet. and anyone else that saw our guy. The results were underwhelming and they seem to always default to "other mixed breeds", so we still had no real answer. Another words unless you can get it done cheap don't be in any hurry. I it cost us about 50.00 for the kit which was a couple of swabs and a box to mail them to the lab. and I doubt I would do it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I forgot to ask, will a black lab ever have a white chest patch like he does?

I’m pretty happy with him, but am thinking about doing a DNA test just to satisfy my curiosity. Has anyone here ever done one of those? Was it worth it?

Good luck, looks like a great pup (most are, with proper training and socialization).

As for the DNA test, they're getting better it seems. The more data that is collected from purebred family groups.

You will have issues like this though:
[quoteOn the other hand, some breed combinations truly result in dogs that resemble other breeds entirely. Hughes recalled a case of a dog that looked like a black Labrador retriever that tested as a golden retriever mix, which made sense to her as a geneticist.

“You can lose that longer coat in one generation,” she explained. “Goldens carry a black gene. They don’t express it in their coat because the yellow gene blocks all black. They do express it in their nose, eye rims and the pads of their feet. But the golden is recessive. So if you breed a golden retriever to a dog that doesn’t have the genes for yellow and long hair, you’re likely to have a black dog with a short coat.”

In a similar vein, test results suggesting pairings of large with small dogs may raise doubts but such combinations aren’t impossible, Hughes said. She explained: “The larger female will lie down” for the mating.[/quote]

That quote was from this article, (2012). Some of the other ones I found seem to say "buyer beware". But they at least can give you an idea sometimes.

Given the above info, your dog may be more golden retriever than lab if her parents were mixed and the yellow gene was sent back to the recessive side.

I tend to agree with the person above, you've got a nice American mixed breed funloving, rabbit chaser there (mutt, like me)

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
she has never met a person she did not like .she was so mistreated when my wife snatch her up she is timid and just wants to be loved . she has ben a great deer blood tracker on the first one at 4 months old she will be mist when she is gone .our family belongs to her

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Is this a trick question?

That dog is a labrador or *mostly* lab

I have 3 papered labs and neither of them look a like.

Man if you could get a side by side of all 3 of em.
That would be cool.
Dixie,Magnus, and Cooper ( coopaloop!!!)

But you dont know what your talking about .
Cause your a dick!!!!
grin

Hey I will get out their tommorow around 1 for the interveiw with the vampire thing and grilled burgers.
Bring out the 5 boxes of accutip slugs also for ya.

Orange cheese please!!!

Khan/wife buys that damn white cheese( racist???) all da time.
Bout tired of cracker honky jive mutha fugga white cheese.....

Last edited by renegade50; 08/24/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by kid0917
congratulations, you have an american mixed breed canine. tail is not Lab, are his toes deeply webbed? I promise you will have a grateful companion for years! Never again will I own any purebred dog!! smile

This ^^^^^^ ... Work with him. Spend time wiith him. Enjoy him. Looks like a good dog...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
23 and me dna test for a muttasaurus- rex..........

Send your money to me guys.
With a doggy drool sample and a q tip mouth swabbing
Put it in a zip lock bag for all I care.
( circular filed instantly anyways)
I can make ya up a " dna test certificate" show ya in writing what ya suspect is absolutely dead on true after you answer some screening questions about muttasaurus- rex via pm.

$49.95 + shipping and handling both ways on you.
Total cost $ 99.95 PMO only.......

(Save the renegade50 7.62x39 ammo fund)

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Oh yes, black labs can be aggressive. I have known a couple.

One in particular belonged to my good buddy/cousin and his wife and kids. We were pretty tight, at each other's house a couple times/week. And "Old Jake" recognized me and mine as part of the family. And he was mellow as hell when his family was home.

But if they were not home, I was the only person Jake would let into the yard, let alone the house. Jake came to live with us for about six weeks once. Within a couple weeks I heard stories from people attempting to come to my house. Jake had adopted our house as his own, and nobody was getting close if we were not home.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He looks like a beautiful dog, doesn’t matter if he is full- blooded lab or whatever. He is beautiful and will probably be a blessing and love you unconditionally forever.

Congrats on a beautiful dog.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My Lab is 2.5 years old and has never met anyone that didn't want to scratch him behind the ears and pat his head.

I don't think he even has a concept of a bad human being. I don't ever expect him to be an attack dog.

He does bark, however. Anytime anybody comes up he sounds off. All of the delivery people are used to him, though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you have a lucky dog and he's got a lucky set of humans.

Good lookin' guy. Congrats.

Carpe' Scrotum
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And I forgot to mention, he doesn’t bark at all. I’ve only heard his voice once so far.

When he knows you better he will bark.Every dog we have got from a pound did not bark right away.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He is a dog-- enjoy him

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bristoe
From what I can tell from the pic his tail is too thin to be full blooded lab.

But don't hold it against him. A Lab/Pit mix might be a good combination.

The tail and the white blaze on the chest give him away, hes not a pure lab...damn close though.

Dont know what else is in there...but he is for sure mostly lab, and a little mix of something else aint a bad thing...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son had his dog, of questionable parentage, checked by a company that checks dog DNA. She looks a lot like a yellow lab but then not. Hair is much thicker, white blaze, head a little wider. Just several things that don't line up with a lab. The data came back that she is 1/2 golden retriever, 1/4 bull mastiff, and 1/4 some kind of terrier. I don't have a clue what kind of dog she is and don't know if that company took my son for a ride or not. It really doesn't matter though because she has been a great dog. I have always had more trouble with pure bred dogs than mixes.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have always had more trouble with pure bred dogs than mixes.

Yes, me too. nevah nevah again!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Having a lab/pit mix, I can see some pit in his head. Can only describe it that way.

Just be careful mentioning the pit part. With ours we can him a lab mix from the pound. Insurance and airlines have a perticularly low opinion of them.

My wife did the dog DNA with a kit from Amazon. Around 90 bucks.

The domino dog (black and white) in the front. 1/2 pit. The other "lab" is 3/8 lab; 1/8 golden; 1/8 newfy; 1/8 scotty; 1/4 mix. LOL! 2nd pic - in the back, L-R, my son's dog and my daughter's dog, both pit mix. I don't know how this happened!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ironbender; 08/24/19. Reason: pics

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My labs would never attack anyone but they were decent watchdogs early in their lives. My young one, Ruckus, barks with any movement in the cul-de-sac. Unfortunately we are having to work with him to back it down a little bit because its too much. I sure like knowing when people are out and about but I don't need to know about every cat, falling leave and blowing piece of paper.

Pitch, my older dog who just passed a few days ago, was similar until he was about 4. Then he went pretty quite. He was comfortable and did not worry too much about anything. He was all spit and teeth behind the fence though and if anyone was near the fence or house, we would know about that. He was that way until the day he passed. Cable guys could go in and he would bring them every toy in the back yard, but most people would not consider going in without us around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh man, very sorry to hear you lost Pitch, they are a part of the family, hurts to lose a good old companion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.