Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Asolo Sasslongs have become my favorite casual wear boot for working and recreating around the farm. HAve had this pair for about 8 years. They are starting to show the wear. I figure I have maybe another year or so of productive use left. Two questions:

1) Are Asolo Sasslongs rebuildable? I don't think so. But, gotta ask.

2) It looks like they are no longer offered. What is the closest replacement in the current market. Keep In Mind, I will be looking at size 15, possibly Wide, depending on the fit.

All constructive input appreciated !

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure if Crispi makes a 15 but I've been using them for the past 2 years. The Sassalong looks similar to the Crispi Nevada. I have the Crispi Hunter and find them really comfortable. The Nevada is the exact same boot but a shorter version.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate the heads up. Yes they look similar, unfortunately top out at size 13. Poking around, the Lowa Tibet GTX go to size 16 and have a Goretex liner. Anyone have experience (positive or negative) with the Lowa Tibet boot ?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Orion,

I am an Asolo user since year 2000. To me, the best fitting and longer lasting mountain boots. My wife and I use them. I have had three pairs. The present one is a Power Matic 200 GV. Great boot with a 2,8 mm full grain leather! This winter we did a lot of snowshoeing in very difficult terrains. Great boots!!!
I am waiting for the 4th pair of Asolo, a Laguazoi GV. This one, and the Bajura GV seems to be very similar to the discontinued Sasslong GTX.
To me, no other boots!!!

Good luck!

PH

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi Orion,

I am an Asolo user since year 2000. To me, the best fitting and longer lasting mountain boots. My wife and I use them. I have had three pairs. The present one is a Power Matic 200 GV. Great boot with a 2,8 mm full grain leather! This winter we did a lot of snowshoeing in very difficult terrains. Great boots!!!
I am waiting for the 4th pair of Asolo, a Laguazoi GV. This one, and the Bajura GV seems to be very similar to the discontinued Sasslong GTX.
To me, no other boots!!!

Good luck!

PH

Thanks for the input. Yes, both of those boots appear similar to the Sasslong. Unfortunately, size only goes up to US 14. frown

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Lowa Tibet has a lot of good online reviews.

I’d purchase a couple pairs of Tibet’s online from a retailer that offers free returns. Get 2 or 3 in 1/2 sizes + or - your 15 so you can try them and get a good solid fit...send the others back once you find the perfect fit. Nothing’s worse on a hunt than ill fitting boots....and different boot brands can vary as much as a full size. My shoe size is a solid 11.5. In hiking/hunting boots depending on brand I wear 10.5 - 12.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 08/28/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Leftybolt
The Lowa Tibet has a lot of good online reviews.

I’d purchase a couple pairs of Tibet’s online from a retailer that offers free returns. Get 2 or 3 in 1/2 sizes + or - your 15 so you can try them and get a good solid fit...send the others back once you find the perfect fit. Nothing’s worse on a hunt than ill fitting boots....and different boot brands can vary as much as a full size. My shoe size is a solid 11.5. In hiking/hunting boots depending on brand I wear 10.5 - 12.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

Been there done that... Started buying Asic Gel Keyano's a few years ago. Bought a couple pairs of size 14. Second pair was a little snug. Next time bought size 15. My feet were swimming. Decided, next pair to go back to size 14. Still too snug. Swapped those for another pair of 15's. This pair of 15's fits well. And is visibly 3/8" to 1/2" shorter than the last pair of 15's... Same shoe...

Unfortunately, for the large sizes, no way to know the exact fit without trying them on. And very few brick and mortar stores stock them... So yeah... Buy 'em online and ship them back if they don't fit properly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Change it up and check out Russell Moccasins. Custom built to YOUR foot. 20 years on my fist pair, resolved twice. Had another pair built with extra ankle support after a major ankle injury. Not mountain boots per se, it the toughest and most comfortable boots you will ever own.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by forpest
Change it up and check out Russell Moccasins. Custom built to YOUR foot. 20 years on my fist pair, resolved twice. Had another pair built with extra ankle support after a major ankle injury. Not mountain boots per se, it the toughest and most comfortable boots you will ever own.

Took a look at the website. They WILL do large sizes. Which is cool. I like the idea of spec'ing the sole and insulation. Hmmm....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
LOWA Tibet is an excellent boot. I have not tried the Asolos you mentioned. But of previous Asolos I have had I prefer the LOWA but this is from several years back so could have changed.

Russell's are great and it just depends on if they will give you enough support and do you need edging ability (rock climbing)? They are super comfortable with the moccasin construction and the Mountain hunters provide good support. Probably OK if you don't need to wear crampons with them or do serious mountaineering. They can beef them up with double vamps and heel and toe counters at your request. They can also add extra mid soles. They are expensive but a good value. I am just now sending my PH models back for re-soling after almost ten years of use, I expect to get 10 more easily.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crispi Wyomings are a little lighter. but an excellent boot

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have you checked out Hanwag boots? Take a look at them. I bought a pair in 13 wide and they are fabulous.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I really like my Beartooths and they come in 15s.

https://schnees.com/beartooth-200g/

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
I really like my Beartooths and they come in 15s.

https://schnees.com/beartooth-200g/

Those look about perfect and I would trust Shnee's reputation if a return or repair is needed. It would be worth a road trip to try them on with the same socks you'll wear and any insole you might add. When I order boots I go up a half size and adjust with socks or for winter boots up one size and then a felt insole is added to the factory ones. I also adjust with insoles to compensate for light or heavy socks as the season demands. The insoles you heat and mold to your foot give an almost custom fit and speed up the break in process.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
"Way back when" I bought a pair of Hanwags before they offered wide sizes in the U.S. After the soaking in hot water and wearing them multiple times, finally had left foot about broke in. However, did damage to the right foot outside of toes. Took more than a year to recover. Will not do that again. I see that Hanwag now offers "wide" in U.S. market. Unfortunately, can not find 15 wide.

The Schnee Beartooth have promise. However, would still want to try a pair on before buying them...

Appreciate the input, gentlemen...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 37 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.