Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Read some folks say their experience with solids - are very good on game, my question, is that typically match or standard velocity and being used for head shots?

What has your experience been with solid RN 22 LR on game, on body shots? Details i.e. animal/game taken, range, shot placement, Std. Vel or HV?

Noticed a good bit of difference in POI of HV vs Standard and Subsonic. Once sighted, do you folks have trouble on longer shots with trajectory affecting placement? Any of you guys dialing turrets or using a rimfire ballistic reticle?

Thanks for those who want to share.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cottontails will die from a dirty look or sarcasm. Squirrels are tough. I always use HPs for squirrels, and try for head shots so as not to chew up any meat (no brains for me). SS HPs work just fine and are very unobtrusive in the woods, but it really comes down to what shoots best in a particular rifle. I zero at 50 and can't recall shooting any further on game.

I recall my late brother shooting a big fox squirrel through the chest with Eley Tenex. Don't recall exactly how many shots it finally took, but it was more than two. If you can always hit the brain, anything will drop them. I prefer a little wiggle room, so stick with HPs. Leaving a wounded critter to die in a hole ruins my hunt.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
HP's are way better killers with body shots on all manner of small game and varmints. Some HP's are way more effective than others too. Winchester Power Points and Remington Yellow Jackets for instance, have wide, deep HP's, expand fast and wide and are far better/quicker killers than the bulk pack Federals with the tiny, shallow HP's. On tougher game like squirrels or woodchucks, solids, whether standard or high velocity are poor/slow killers.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Eley subsonic hollow point, and never look back. Very accurate in almost every gun I have ever tried it in

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Blackheart
HP's are way better killers with body shots on all manner of small game and varmints. Some HP's are way more effective than others too. Winchester Power Points and Remington Yellow Jackets for instance, have wide, deep HP's, expand fast and wide and are far better/quicker killers than the bulk pack Federals with the tiny, shallow HP's.

My assessment too. Big high velocity hollow points will perform better than the shallow hollow points. Speed will make the hollow points expand quicker and larger. My targets are mainly jackrabbits and rockchucks. I have experienced POI changes when shooting different rounds, HV or not. My preferred rounds are the Browning or Winchester Hyper Velocity HP's with CCI Mini-Mags second.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I squirrel hunt with CCI SV round nose and don't have any problems. Maybe 1/4 are head shots. I wont say I never had a wounded squirrel get away, but that is rare. Most just fold up and fall out of the tree.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use whatever shoots best in that rifle (I have plenty of rimfire rifles.) Some rifles prefer HPs and some like RN better.

Like the underwear, it depends.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Decades beyond the point when I thought HV and hollow points were the schizzle. SV/subsonic solids be all I shoot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree with Oldman3. I've been using nothing but CCI SV round nose solids, for the last 7-8 yrs. I can count on one hand the number that got away wounded. Most just fold uo and fall out of the tree.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a suppressor so I stick with subsonic ammo and i'm a believer in hollow point ammo .

I killed thousands of ground squirrels in Idaho using a fixed barrel .177 1000fps pellet rifle . Round nose pellets didn't kill them anywhere near as well as the flat RWS pellets - no comparison between the two types of tips . Not exactly apples to apples but you can see the parallel for comparison. In bullet testing the Military calls it ''tear'' a RN pushes flesh out of it's way were-as a HP or flat type projectile tears it's way through causing more trauma and energy delivery .

22lr same same round nose ammo vs hollowpoint - HP all the way .
I've got one of the HP dies that will make huge HP's on 22lr ammo , the bigger the HP the harder the smack .
RWS SV HP lead is very soft and expands extremely well , caught a coyote in a snare and the dispatch with the RWS SV HP took a few shots , the soft lead HP didn't want to penetrate the skull bone . BUT that same ammo knocks a squirrel off a tree down and dead . I've opened up the HP HUGE on that ammo and on Norma Tac SS and have had bullets that didn't even exit on small grey squirrels - delivering 100% of the energy into the squirrel . With the Suppressor it's easy to discern the sound of the smack -- you know it connected hard and squirrels drop everytime at the shot .
We have squirrel infestations around the hog feeders - I've sat in a blind and shot 6-8 in an hour - leave go to another feeder - repeat - come back to first spot 2 hours later - repeat - they never stop coming . But go squirrel hunting 200 yards from a feeder and you'll be lucky to see one in a days time.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My experience is with ground squirrels rather than edible tree squirrels. On body hits ground squirrels die quickly, and sometimes rather dramatically, when hit with hollow points - whereas hitting them with round nose they usually make it back to their hole to die a lingering death or to be eaten by their brethern.

The ground squirrels in the west are smaller and quite often a round nose will go through them with little apparent damage but the hollow points disable them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience has been the same as Drover's on both tree & ground squirrels. I went to head shots only for tree squirrels back in the 50s when I got a scope on my rifle. Prior to that I had a few solid point body shots that didn't turn out so good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by drover
My experience is with ground squirrels rather than edible tree squirrels. On body hits ground squirrels die quickly, and sometimes rather dramatically, when hit with hollow points - whereas hitting them with round nose they usually make it back to their hole to die a lingering death or to be eaten by their brethern.

The ground squirrels in the west are smaller and quite often a round nose will go through them with little apparent damage but the hollow points disable them.

drover

True and when you have a 500 shot day at ground squirrels scampering everywhere you look - even had them run between my legs sitting on my shooting stool , you see what kills and what is just ok .
CCI SV HP - like 3-4cents each back in 07--08 - just shoot them through the chest and they are dead right htere .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by drover

drover

True and when you have a 500 shot day at ground squirrels scampering everywhere you look - even had them run between my legs sitting on my shooting stool , you see what kills and what is just ok .
CCI SV HP - like 3-4cents each back in 07--08 - just shoot them through the chest and they are dead right htere .
Yep, It's the same with tree squirrels. I've never shot ground squirrels but have been an avid tree squirrel hunter for almost 50 years. When I was younger I'd shoot 125-150 most years. The past few years I'm down in the 70-90 per year range but that still adds up to several thousand over my lifetime.You kill that many, you see the differences and learn what works best.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
My experience has been the same as Drover's on both tree & ground squirrels. I went to head shots only for tree squirrels back in the 50s when I got a scope on my rifle. Prior to that I had a few solid point body shots that didn't turn out so good.
I don't wait for head shots. I'll take em if I've got em but kill a bunch every year that I can't even see their heads when I shoot them. I'm out there to kill squirrels and get as many as I can each outing. Never ate squirrel ribs and don't know anybody who does so have no problem putting holes through them. I can kill twice as many squirrels in half the time that way.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good feedback / info everyone. Thanks. Re: that tool for making HPs, who made yours?

Am I seeing a trend, that when using Solid RN's, that a SV - Std. Vel round may have higher rates of killing game vs High Vel RNs?

I popped a squirrel last season with a CCI SS HP and it just folded up with a body shot, it was running around feeding at the top of a very large Oak...a head shot would have taken more time or perhaps not been doable. I noticed less of a crack and some hunters say the Subsonic does not run off other tree squirrels as much vs a hi-vel that gives a sharp crack in it's report.

Last edited by 65BR; 08/25/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
I noticed less of a crack and some hunters say the Subsonic does not run off other tree squirrels as much vs a hi-vel that gives a sharp crack in it's report.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I've used both and haven't seen any difference. In fact, I've sat in one spot and killed my limit of 6 in under an hour with my .22 magnum many times. Have done the same with a shotgun too. The noise and movement of operating a manual action will do more to spook them than the report. Likewise dead squirrels falling through the leaves/branches and hitting the ground with a thud does more to spook others in the same tree or others close by than the report of the rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Cottontails will die from a dirty look or sarcasm. Squirrels are tough. I always use HPs for squirrels, and try for head shots so as not to chew up any meat (no brains for me). SS HPs work just fine and are very unobtrusive in the woods, but it really comes down to what shoots best in a particular rifle. I zero at 50 and can't recall shooting any further on game.

I recall my late brother shooting a big fox squirrel through the chest with Eley Tenex. Don't recall exactly how many shots it finally took, but it was more than two. If you can always hit the brain, anything will drop them. I prefer a little wiggle room, so stick with HPs. Leaving a wounded critter to die in a hole ruins my hunt.

My feelings exactly. i stocked up on Eley SS HP's when the getting was good . Everything I own shoots them well and they work very well for hunting .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, the RWS SSHP shoots like a house on fire in several of my rifles...

It has become my "go to" squirrel round now...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just my experience, but where I hunt has a lot of bluffs, crevices, etc.. Either HP or solids will kill effectively, but I have found that HPs generally kill quicker/deader than solids even on head shots and I tend to see less flopping around. This helps to limit chances of winding up hidden in a hole or crevice in the rocks or leaves. I like for them to stay where they land upon fallling so I tend to use HPs for most of my hunting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 658 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.