Campfire Tracker
B
...in 375 Weatherby, for the third time! Dreaming againšŸ˜Ž

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How ā€˜bout pics and story of the ā€œbigā€ gal?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Big Nan Iā€™m guessing. Very cool

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Marks story/pics if he is able to tell.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Was on my way home a few evenings ago and remembered to stop by a small ammo shop. I needed at least another 100 LBT's to feed the Bisley. Looking over their stock I found none about so headed over to their bargain counter. My eyes went right to an older box of Winchester Super X in 375 H&H. Took it over to the fella at the counter and asked if I could open it and take a look. He agreed and I did. The 300 grain Silver Tips were as pristine as a could be. No tarnish or rub marks anywhere. The tag said 30 bones so didn't haggle at all.

That evening I emailed a couple of friends about said box and Bill answered back that he would like to have them for an upcoming moose hunt. I told him that I couldn't think of a better thing to do with that box then give them to him. We met yesterday at my shop and Bill popped in with a gift of some (real) antique rounds as a swap. He also brought in a rifle case that I knew would be filled with "the" big 375 in it.

As we talked about "Big Nan" and some of it's history, Bill explained the full story of how he (and his father-in-law David) came into possession of this rugged rifle. No time to tell that now so I might just leave that up to Bill. This all however, ties in to the reason for picking up the box of Silver tips in the first place. As we talked, Bill explained that the history of Big Nan and Hal Waugh was somewhat recorded in writing already. Bill had the thought that it "might be interesting to find out (in book form) the post history of the rifle and it's being used for Alaskan hunting since Hal's passing.

The plan for this year's chapter (so to say) will be next month's moose hunt back at the old family stomping grounds near Eagle Alaska, where his family and Hal's lived as neighbors. The older ammo will be a tribute to Hal in a way, if by nothing else, as a copy of one of the boxes that was in some of the things he was given with the rifle.

I have to say that it was very neat to (after a dozen years had passed) to work the action and aim through the peep site once more. If I imagined that I was aiming at the chest of a 9' plus brownie, I can only expect you gents would understand...

bhtr

*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wondered where "Big Nan" ended up. I used to see it when I stopped by the Brown Bear Gun Shop & Museum. Owner David Thorton was a good old Alaskan and I miss him. In the book on Hal he stated he had trouble keeping a stock on Big Nan because of the recoil. I never understood that as a well bedded wooden stock has been proven to handle recoil on rifles bigger then "Big Nan" and the .375 Weatherby chambering. Ya got me.

I think his wife Julies Pre-64 Featherweight .308Win. and a seal skin scabbard were there also. Hal also spoke highly of the .358 Win. Any way, I am glad "Big Nan" is back to making gut piles again.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wrote an article on Big Nan titled "Big Nan and the Master Guide" that appeared in the July-August issue of Sports Afield. If any of you are interested in any additional info on the rifle, I'd be happy to share any of the things I learned in my research. Just send me an e-mail.

Dan Peterson

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I wondered where "Big Nan" ended up. I used to see it when I stopped by the Brown Bear Gun Shop & Museum. Owner David Thorton was a good old Alaskan and I miss him. In the book on Hal he stated he had trouble keeping a stock on Big Nan because of the recoil. I never understood that as a well bedded wooden stock has been proven to handle recoil on rifles bigger then "Big Nan" and the .375 Weatherby chambering. Ya got me.

I think his wife Julies Pre-64 Featherweight .308Win. and a seal skin scabbard were there also. Hal also spoke highly of the .358 Win. Any way, I am glad "Big Nan" is back to making gut piles again.

1Ak,
Below is a link to an article local reporter and author Clark Fair wrote (in 2009) regarding David Thornton and his building of the store/museum. You may know much of this already but thought you might enjoy it non-the-less.

Best, Mark

Brown Bear Gun Shop and Museum

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never saw that before, mark. Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Welcome Mike. On a side note, if I emailed you some pictures could you figure out how to get the suckers on here?

*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yup.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One of these days I"ll stumble into an old well used well worn old gun like this when I have money. Just because....I think they are cool

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Here I thought you meant Raquel, or Briget, from our age group.....

What a tease you are! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las

las,

You might file this to the "too much information" bin: Raquel always did it for mešŸ˜ŽšŸ˜‰

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a lot of photos and measurements of Big Nan this spring as the APHA is planning on auctioning off a duplicate of it next winter for their Tools of the Legends honoring of Hal Waugh. I already have the same early vintage pre 64 M-70 rebored to 375 Wby and am looking for someone to do the stock.
If someone wants to post some photos of it I will be glad to email them.
I know Hal was tall and was surprised that Big Nan has only a 13 1/4" LOP
The same as my old 458 - which I photographed along side Big Nan.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by las

las,

You might file this to the "too much information" bin: Raquel always did it for mešŸ˜ŽšŸ˜‰

Well then, it looks like she wasn't terribly selective. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Maybe she was- just had poor taste. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Phil,
I have sent Mike (Ironbender) some pics of the stock and he will post them as soon as he arrives back from Fairbanks either this evening or tomorrow. I understand what you are asking and can get very specific pictures from Bill E. (owner) when he returnes from his family hunt in a couple of weeks.

Do I assume correctly that you have been in contact with Bill this spring then? I am certain that he will be interested in your helping that project come off if he hasn't already stated so. Please let me know how I might help and I will be glad to...

Best,
Mark

*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by las

las,

Why you couple of jabronies, I aught to....šŸ˜€

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by las

las,

Why you couple of jabronies, I aught to....šŸ˜€

Lol get them jabronis Mark

Whereā€™s the pix ironbender?

And send me your email so I can send pix of those sheep horns šŸ‘šŸ»

In fbks. You donā€™t call, you donā€™t write šŸ˜«

Well you jabroni I aught to....

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by Ā RickBinĀ 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Ā 

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright Ā© 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.