Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by J4Me
I want a short, light rifle in 7mm 08, or 6.5 Creedmore or, possibly .270.

Prefer the weight be under 7 lbs and barrel length 22", maximum.

Will be used primarily as a Midwest, whitetail gun but may on rare occasion be used for pronghorn or elk.

I don't reload so, from what I've read the 6.5 Creedmore is the nuts if you're going to be using factory ammo.

I'll probably go with a synthetic stock and stainless.

So, the two rifles on my short list are the Tikka T3x Lite and the Remington Model Seven Stainless Steel HS Precision.

Which would you choose, and why?

Is there a comparable rifle under $1000 that I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Tikkas shoot lights out. Remingtons have their flaws but they've been around forever for a reason.

Why not a Winchester Featherweight Compact? Also, 308 is where it's at if you really want factory ammo options, plus it gives up very little to the 30-06 if you use factory ammo in both.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I became less impressed with Remington after I bought my Hill Country Rifle Harvester 7mm Rem Mag a few years ago. HCR did great work, as it was a very impressive shooter and overall fit and finish was superb. However, these Harvesters were based on a Rem 700 action. The project was taking longer than promised, so I asked them periodically for updates. Moral to the story was that HCR obtained and examined no less than 10 Rem 700 actions to find exactly one action that would meet their criteria, before the work started. Not a good testimony to Remy's quality of work IMO.

Thnx J G. That says something for new production Rem. Sad to say.
I am & have been a LOYAL Remington fan based on YEARS of excellent 700 BDL service NOT only mine but for several lease members &
shooting/hunting friends. I have several 700s all are Pre 1995 prod.

Now the M 7 & I don’t FIT each other plain & simple. It really is ergonomics of the stock
PLUS I’m not happy/comfy with SA. Go figure???

I know the op stated he’s going w/Tikka. I only have 2 Tikkas, a T3 Lite SS 270
and a T3X Lite SS 7 RM. I can’t be happier.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by J4Me
I'm going with Tikka. Now just need to decide on chambering and whether or not to go with a compact model.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Just a reminder.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have owned a pile of both these rifles and Since you are looking for a short action cartridge id buy the Model Seven HS, i never have warmed up to the Tikka one size fits all action. If you were shopping for a long action cartridge i would chose the Tikka.....Hb

I too struggle with the idea of shooting a SA cartridge in a long action. I'm also not a fan of detachable mags. So for the OP's criteria I would choose the Model Seven.

If we were talking long action though I would have to give a T3 Superlight some serious thought!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've had a 7mm-08 for about 10 years now. Its the Remington Model 700 Mtn. Rifle. Absolutely love it.
Have never really shot groups with it to see how well it shoots (that will change very soon), but every time but once (my fault) the deer or hog or coyote all went down. And in my opinion, out performs all of the other calibers mentioned at least out to 500 yards. BTW, I shot a deer 3 years ago at a little over 500 yards. Ran 30 yards and fell over. I've always shot the Hornady Superformance 139gr SST to this point.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ok - you asked if there were other with comparable size\weight

No one mentioned them and they get poo-poo'd here but Brown X-bolt might fit your need as well. I have a Remington, CZ and A-bolt and my A-bolt gets the nod most of the time.

There is also a Savage lightweight Hunter that is a surprisingly handsome rig that is about a full pound lighter. I would surely check one out -and I am not big on Savages generally.

Food for thought.

Flame on!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tikka for the rifle

If you're buying factory ammo 6.5 is a LOT easier to find than 7-08. There is nothing the 7-08 will kill that a 6.5 won't kill.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
[quote=grovey]Tikka t3x superlite in 7-08 best suits your requirements(under 7lbs, 22" tube, possible elk). The mdl 7 you mentioned is a looker, but lacking imo because of the spindly 20" tube. If they offered those H.S mdl 7's with a fluted 22" lvsf sporter type bbl I'd be drooling over one.

I'll agree with the LVSF barrel. Best one Remington has ever made.
[/quot

LVSF. Love that gun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot a superlight Kimber 84M 6.5 today. It was very nice! I would like to shoot the remington model7 HS in 6.5!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
just ordered my boy a tikka t3x superlite exclusive stainless/green syn stock in 308 win. we gonna sponge camo it. it will fit in with ALL the other tikka's in my safe. also, until the 31st of this month tikka is offering a $75 rebate. just a nudge maybe......grin!
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I own both and like them both. I picked up a 700 CDL SF a few weeks ago. I am sending the bolt to Accutig , the timing is perfect, let him figure out the extraction part . This is a very well made rifle and better then previous ones I have owned.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have seen a few of the green stock tikkas on line the past few days and really like them. Might give one a shot but already have T3X’s in 223, 6.5 Creed, and a Superlite in 308 so don't fully have a need for one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
yep, my son liked that one and its in his fav caliber. i just pray thats its as listed,the guy from buds assured me multiple times it most def was a stainless gun but when i questioned whittakers they said it was blued, we are gonna try the GAP camo and since its already drab green imma use tan and black as my colors then shoot a few coats of matte clear on it. my son is 15 and really wants to try this sponge camo job out with me and when they are that age its more than a camo job going on there.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My model 7 hs just showed up today. Waiting for a set of talleys to show up in the mail, have a vortex razor 2-10 on the shelf. After handling it a little bit, I don't think I made the wrong choice. Definitely falling in love with it and I haven't even come close to shooting it yet

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by whitearrow
yep, my son liked that one and its in his fav caliber. i just pray thats its as listed,the guy from buds assured me multiple times it most def was a stainless gun but when i questioned whittakers they said it was blued, we are gonna try the GAP camo and since its already drab green imma use tan and black as my colors then shoot a few coats of matte clear on it. my son is 15 and really wants to try this sponge camo job out with me and when they are that age its more than a camo job going on there.
Big Ed

He will love it! My son is only 9 but has a T3X compact 7/08. He can shoot 1.25 -1.5” groups all day with that gun and Hornady reduced recoil loads. Not bad for a 9 year old.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh and I have seen the green stock rifles in both stainless and blued. My superlite was a limited run that had a camo stock which I since replaced with a Mcmillan. That rifle is blued but it is more of a matte finish and looks really nice and the finish has held up well the past 2 years.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.