Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hoping someone knows anything at all about this rifle. From what I understand its an older custom German rifle, lgs called it a German guild gun.

Sounds like I would need to get a cast of the chamber to figure out which 8x60 cartridge it is. Any one know what the action is? The rifle handles amazing. But being that there is so much unknown about it, I haven't tried to take it home.

Seems like it could be pretty difficult to feed, but I do reload. Haven't been able to find much info online so hoping someone here knows. Thanks!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by GrahamVT; 08/24/19.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very nice looking rifle sir. Most likely a soldier brought it back back in the 40s or 50s, they are also called cigarette rifles. Lots of gunsmiths in Germany in that time period built rifles on Mauser rifles.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[align:left][/align]
Originally Posted by GrahamVT

Any one know what the action is?

Lol, not one decent complete pic of the action by which to judge. But what little can be seen suggests a small ring 98.

8x60 is very easy to reload for and commercial ammo can be found.

Brass: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/prvi-8x60s-100/ but brass is easily made from '06 cases.

I have 3 8x60's, a great round.

Last edited by z1r; 08/24/19.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Il get better photos of the action next time I can stop by the store.

Aren't there three different types of 8x60? Or is it safe to say its a 8x60S?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GrahamVT;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this final Sunday in August finds you well.

As noted previously, it's tough to identify the action without a picture of the entire receiver, both left and right side views would be helpful.

Yours has a few interesting things which I did notice from the photos however. So in no particular order I'd offer the following.

The Redfield sight most likely was added stateside or in North America anyway. We do see a fair few of them on older arms on this side of the medicine line too.

The Mark II safety is fairly recent. I've purchased identically marked safeties in the past 25 years so it's possible it's been that recent or perhaps older, I'm not sure how long the Mark II has been available for sale.

In the photo of the front action screw, we can see that someone took the time to weld up the hole for the small retaining screw that's in military bottom metal and added an aftermarket or modified front action screw as well. It's a nice touch anyway, showing me someone took a little time with some of the details.

I'd suggest the stock has been refinished at least once as the bottom metal is sitting a wee bit proud of the wood for a proper guild gun fit. This is seen in your photo of the set triggers.

While I can't quite tell from the photos, I'd think that the grip cap is either horn or a composite.

As another guess, I'll guess that the butt plate is a composite as it has the M and S in it - but again I can't quite tell from the photo. It could have been carved into a horn butt plate too, but I'm not able to tell from the photo - sorry.

For sure you should get a chamber cast so you know what the cartridge really and truly is, that's been covered many times so I'll leave it there.

The claw mount photo seems to show it was well done, however if it was silver brazed on you might want to see if the hardness of the action was compromised?

That's a brief overview anyway sir. Hopefully it was useful to you or someone out there in ether space with a similar arm.

Good luck with the rifle whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 69 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.