-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was looking at trying a Crimson Trace green laser, but I'm thinking now about an RMR Type 2 on my 1911 instead. Every video I see has those guys mounting them on race guns and seeing how fast they can run through a clip of ammunition. That isn't me because I just want to punch paper and hit somewhere close to where I'm aiming. Some things get better with age, but eyes aren't one of them. I don't think that I'd want to have the slide milled, but EGW would make me a mount that would fit in the dovetail. Those RMR Type 2's get pretty good reviews, but I'd like some additional input from someone who has actually tried them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have an RMR Type 2. I have it on a base paired with a Model 29 DX Classic. I am 62 and like you my eyesight has been better. You have to become adjusted to using the sight and finding the dot. That said it is not that hard. My 29 can shoot 2" groups at 50 yards easily with the sight. I have the 3.25 dot. At 100 yards it is pushing the envelope because the dot covers a lot of target. I would say to experiment to see which dot you like based on the yardage you most intend to use. I am about to send a Les Baer to Ed Brown to have them mill the slide for the base for one of my 1911s. Hope this helps.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use an RMR 1 moa. The sight has held up well to the recoil of a P220 .45acp without changing zero. I chose the 1 moa because the larger red dots obscure too much of the target at longer ranges. I have had no problems and bought a second sight for use on my 3-gun carbine with a 3x multiplier.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have a Type 2 RM06 with the 3.25 Moa dot on a Glock 17 that I really enjoy and it's easy to learn to hit with!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve had a few. It’s a good sight, but It takes work to be proficient with them. If your presentation is ugly, you’re gonna spend some time looking for the dot. Once you get it figured it, you will not want to go back to irons.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Milling the slide to fit the RMR seems kind of drastic, especially with a Les Baer so you must really be sold on the red dots. It might get it mounted a touch lower to the pistol, but there wouldn't be any going back to irons with that set up is there? A dovetail mount would run me about forty bucks, but then I'd have the option of reattaching the rear sight and mounting that red dot on something else down the road. Pricey little item that it is, I don't think that I'd get anything like fair market value for the handgun with the red dot permanently mounted come resale time. A .45 ACP 1911 isn't a long range piece anyway and a 3.25 moa dot gets good reviews for the closer in stuff where we shoot. There are sure some torture test You Tube videos on those sights. Shoulder height drops on concrete, racking the slide on the red dot against a wall or the rim of a 55 gallon barrel...

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I use and own both type 2 and type 1 RMR sights; honestly there's not much reason to specify "Type 2" when asking about them because they function and look the same.
The type 2 did have some early issues (I broke 4 of them myself) with bonding of the small emitter lens, but that seems to have been corrected and IMO they are back to being good to go.

I set up all of mine with co-witnessed irons, and would not be without them. If I had to choose a dovetail mount and no co-witnessed iron sights, I just wouldn't use a red dot at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As already stated there is an adjustment period as for picking up the dot but it's really pretty simple. It seems like the best option for aging eyes as far as I've seen. For a range toy I don't see why backup irons would be necessary. I certainly wouldn't cut on a Les Baer, maybe get a cheap spare top end and have it milled?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got Trijicon suppressor sights, high enough to co-witness the RMR. I find it much quicker and easier to find the red dot.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just got an email from EGW Gun Parts to say that they don't offer a dovetail mount for a Para Ordnance P-12. It has a Trijicon rear sight in that dovetail now, so I didn't realize that sight dovetails were that much different from one another. I'm a little bummed out.

The newer Trijicon SRO red dot has a larger sight window and less tint to the glass and fits the same RMR footprint.

My other auto is a .45

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Windfall

The newer Trijicon SRO red dot has a larger sight window and less tint to the glass and fits the same RMR footprint.

By all reports it's also larger and less durable. Maybe a nice choice for gun games or a range toy; I'm sticking with the RMR sights for serious pistols.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update: I had that Para reworked years ago and on closer inspection, the gunsmith recut that dovetail to a Novak sight profile that has had a Tritium night sight mounted ever since. Yesterday that dovetail got filled with a Novak profile RMR mount from EGW and today an adjustable Trijicon RMR type 2 went on it. 8 brightness setting on that red dot and I'm not sure where I'd ever use those brighter ones, but time will tell. Manual override and shut off feature to save the battery are nice options. Sure makes for a nice piece of kit. Now for some range work.

My other auto is a .45

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
One of the nice things about the RMR sights is that you don't have to worry about turning them on and off to save battery, especially if you leave them in "auto" mode. I change the batteries in mine once a year on my birthday, but even that's a bit overkill since they'll last a couple years or more powered on. I never turn any of mine off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.