*** my Grandaughters

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That's a fish, alright!

But in my Debbie Downer mode, I completely agree with all the negative comments. Shame to kill a chalky-fleshed, wormy, female, unbled, hung in the sun for how long? 'butt that lays a million or more eggs each year. On the flip side, she may have been near the end of her alloted life span of 50-55 years. Still, a few million eggs here, a few million there, soon we are talking real eggs!.

Take a picture and cut her loose.

Eating size is maybe 80 lbs or less. The 104 pounder I caught on my 3rd back charter a couple decades ago simply did not compare with the 75 pound fish, for eating, taken on the same trip. Those under 50 or so are the best eating.

Never been a trophy hunter myself. Never taken out a derby ticket either, for much the same reason. I don't like competitive contests for fish and game, including the trophy books. The experience and flesh should be enough. IMO- you are welcome to differ.

Not that I don 't have a "cull" corner, myself, as mementoes. Mostly somewhat weird reps of the specie, or a special time or hunt.

Wouldn't have won any those derbies anyway.... smile

Last edited by las; 08/24/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LAS... no issue with your feelings and opinion... but a few points of significance...

First, recruitment is not the issue with the population. There are plenty of small fish every year, they are simply not thriving like they used to and stunting as a (probable?) result of decreased food in the ocean. We throw 400 Billion extra pink fry in the ocean every year and do nothing to control arrow tooth flounder which is thought to be the biggest biomass in the GOA. And then with furrowed brows the allocators point fingers all over the place.

Size is not correlated to chalkiness in halibut and is believed to be diet related. And those extra competing species could certainly be related.

Small halibut are certainly better for frying and such, but for smoked halibut, pickling, ceviche, and searing, give me the biggest you have. The Japanese pay huge premiums for the really big halibut.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
More info is always appreciated.

Got any tips on how to get the "right" ones to bite my bait? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
More info is always appreciated.

Got any tips on how to get the "right" ones to bite my bait? smile

Drop it on the right one's head!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a good one! Brings to mind your smoked / frozen / baked instructions, from years ago Art. I like the gunplay involved, too. I have put a few .380 rounds into fish off of Long Island back in the day. The guy that caught this fish is full grown, too.

But, a Texan!!!! Imagine the insufferability when he gets home and someone in his party lands a 10 lb bass,,,,or a 50 lb bull red.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Texas sized Flounder

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Texas sized Flounder

lol. I was raised near Trinity Bay, used to love gigging because it was hunting and fishing at the same time.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Texas sized Flounder

Ha!😀
When I first had a look of this picture I couldn't help but notice it looked a wee bit "more than twice the size..." of a Texas flounder😀

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
las,

You are mostly correct. IMO- you are welcome to differ😉

*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It is said "Ignorance is bliss".

Art done ruint my day........ smile

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
A_t ( we just won't say his name out loud) can be like that some times😀

It's ok too cause he will never see this anyway...that is unless somebody else spills the beans...😉

*** my Grandaughters

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice fish. Good luck eating it. I always wondered how much Hali can a person eat. They got a 400+ out of Coffman this year. Lots and lots of big ones in the ocean. Cut a 300 loose just a few weeks ago. We sportsmen access just a fraction of the Hali out there.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love to fish for them near Hoonah. I agree with most 35-75 lbs are the best eating.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Owl
Love to fish for them near Hoonah. I agree with most 35-75 lbs are the best eating.

Obviously you only eat your halibut one way...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texas sized Flounder

Next time you are in Anchorage you should go order halibut at F Street Station. Get the "texas-sized" plate. This is Alaska... The Texas-sized is half the regular size...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
A_t ( we just won't say his name out loud) can be like that some times😀

It's ok too cause he will never see this anyway...that is unless somebody else spills the beans...😉

You are not on my ignore list.

YET!
wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
That is a good one! Brings to mind your smoked / frozen / baked instructions, from years ago Art. I like the gunplay involved, too. I have put a few .380 rounds into fish off of Long Island back in the day. The guy that caught this fish is full grown, too.

But, a Texan!!!! Imagine the insufferability when he gets home and someone in his party lands a 10 lb bass,,,,or a 50 lb bull red.

I caught one over 300, several more over 200, and a very large number over 100... that left me with lots of fish to test with. Saying only small ones are good is absurd.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An old co-worker who lived in Alaska for awhile used to always tell
a Texas refugee that,

"Texas is where Alaskans go to experience claustrophobia"!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.