Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
For years I bought rifles because I wanted to try something different than my 1986 Remington Classic in .264 win mag, but I never found a rifle I liked better than the classic so I stopped buying new rifles; however, I now actually have a need for a new rifle. The hunting club I am a member of has many, many tripod stands and all of them are covered. There is very little room to maneuver the magnum classic with a 24 inch barrel inside the stand without inevitably making some racket or being extremely careful not to. There is nothing quick about getting on an animal if he does not happen to show up in the area where the rifle is already pointed (all our stands are wrapped with a mesh fabric with shooting holes cut on each side.

I want something really handy and nimble but don’t want to spend a lot of money. I’ve been thinking of the Ruger American in 308 with the 18 inch barrel and can’t seem to find anything else that would work better. I’d only use this out to 200 yards or so as stands with longer possibilities will see me using the classic regardless of length.

Any good viable options beside the 18 inch ruger?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A Tikka Compact is pretty reasonable as well and has the short barrel and adjustable LOP stock. I have one in 7-08 for my daughter and it’s a little demon.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks, my son has a Tikka snd he loves it. The compact would probably shoot better than the Ruger - maybe.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
A Tikka Compact is pretty reasonable as well and has the short barrel and adjustable LOP stock. I have one in 7-08 for my daughter and it’s a little demon.

I second this as my 9yo son has a 7/08 t3x compact as well. Today we where at the range and we wanted to shoot 200 yards for the first time. He is shooting Hornady reduced recoil loads and the rifle is topped with a 2-7 leupold. I was amazed that he was able to shoot a 2”- 3 shot group his first time.

I have a few tikkas and love them all. I am really impressed with the compact and have a spare full size factory stock laying around. Might pickup a compact for myself and drop it in the stock and have a dandy little carbine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a savage lightweight hunter in the classifieds I would look hard at, pretty much exactly what you’re looking for. I have one in 6.5 creed and like everything about it and prefer it to the ruger, I’ve owned 2 and sold both.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Savage that mitchellmountain pointed you to looks like a really good choice. I think they are 20" barrels.

I was looking for the same thing a little while back, but wanted a rifle with a little heavier barrel to be a little muzzle heavy.

I stumbled on a Bergara Ridge special edition with a 20" #5 contour barrel (they catalog an 18" too). If it shoots like my other Bergara I will be very happy.

Here is a link to a current listing:

Bergara Ridge

The picture is not accurate, as it shows a 24" barrel.

Here is an 18" version:

18" Ridge

They have been running some penny auctions too, so you could get one cheaper.

I like that they have a standard 700 footprint, as it leaves future stock upgrade options wide open.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 08/24/19.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the replies.

Whelenaway, I wanted a heavier barrel like that Bergara you mentioned. The 18 inch Ruger I saw in the PX at Gort Gordon had a mid weight barrel like that Bergara you mentioned to keep the barrel from being two whippy.

Thanks for all the suggestions I might look at a TC Venture Compact too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I dig the looks of the new HS SS Remington model Seven in 7mm-08 or 260. I think that they also offer it in the 6.5 creedmoor.

Last edited by Showdog75; 08/25/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
7600 carbine in 35 whelen

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several good options mentioned.

If you can find a used 700 LTR, that would be another good option. Most any standard short action 700 with a non-fluted barrel can also be cut/crowned for minimal $. A Ruger GSR in .308 might work well. If you want the handiest of all, a 20" single shot will reduce the overall length quite a bit as well.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

If you can find a used 700 LTR, that would be another good option. Most any standard short action 700 with a non-fluted barrel can also be cut/crowned for minimal $. A Ruger GSR in .308 might work well. If you want the handiest of all, a 20" single shot will reduce the overall length quite a bit as well.

My old man has an older LTR with the factory dm. That rifle just flat out shoots!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would buy a Ruger #1 in what ever cartridge you like,the reason Ruger #1`s don`t have a 4 inch reciever making rifle 4 inches shorter so even with a 24 inch barrel this rifle in a enclosed stand swings easier . i have been using a Ruger #1 now for over 15 years my Ruger #1 shots well and really one shot is all you need if you practice some. good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 08/25/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The LTR was also going to be my suggestion, that or the XCR Compact (basically an LTR in Trinited SS).

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston

The LTR was also going to be my suggestion, that or the XCR Compact (basically an LTR in Trinited SS).

I’ve had excellent luck with both the LTR and XCR compact over the years...wouldn’t be afraid to buy either one...

Public landowner...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you don't mind a single shot... a TC Encore with a 16"-18" barrel is VERY compact. In .308 it's plenty out to 200 yards and even further. I have one for this exact reason.

If you want a repeater, above are all good suggestions.

Let us know what you do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another advantage of the SSs is that they are very quiet to load once you're in place. If you sneak into your stand in the dark there may be game close by that will be spooked by action noises. Small point, but valid I believe.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Id kinda forgotten about this one too. I got one of my little brothers one of these as a grad present from boot camp.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57019

It’s nothing special at all, but with the Federal 185 Berger’s it lumped them into 2” pretty easily with the iron sights. Was fairly impressed with it out of the box. Under 500 bucks out the door here as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I bought a Savage Hog Hunter because it had a threaded barrel. It has a 20 barrel. I was surprised it shot sub inch groups. I have a 3.5x10 Leupold on it. It’s fun to shoot and it was cheap. The 308 with 150 grain GameKings flat out slays pigs and deer. It has a nice soft recoil pad, almost no recoil.

It comes in 338 federal also. That would be a fine thumper brush type gun.

When I checked to make sure I had the barrel length correct I noticed it comes in the 350 Legend also.

Last edited by hanco; 08/25/19.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been looking at the Ruger American Predator with the 18" bbl for the same reason. I was hunting out of a tight blind last year and opted for a 30-30 . I shot an axis buck but didn't get a passthru and no blood trail. Fortunately he didn't go over 40 yards. I decided then I needed something more powerful in a light, short package. I was considering an AR10 clone but even with a light carbine I'm still looking at 7.25 lbs..

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Ruger American ranch in 223.5.56, it is a great rifle. It is super compact but I wish the barrel was 18" instead of 16". The stock is cheap and kinda bugs me but when I shoot the thing it stops bugging me quickly as it shoots fantastic. Just about everything I have loaded for it shot less than an inch. W748, Varget, H335, H322 and CFE223 will all do 1/2 inch with 50 and 55grn Vmax's. I would also take a look at Weatherby Vanguard S2 carbines. I have a standard S2 and the stock blows the other value line rifles out of the water, it really feels like a solid rifle. I think they come in most short action calibers with a 20" barrel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.