-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Looking for people with specific experience with the thunderhead series or the couldburst series.

The thunderhead seems like the logical purchase because it seems as if it can be worn at all times with relative comfort. The ratings for quietness are reasonable and in general it seems like its meant to be worn more than just in the rain, especially since the pack-ability is not rated very high. To me the downfall is that the thunderhead has a performance cut meaning it is designed for minimal layering. I was able to try on a thunderhead jacket and the sleeves were tight around the forearm.. nice for bow hunting but definitely no giving much room for layering..

That took me to the cloudburst series.. Right off the bat they give it an N/A rating for quietness and 4/5 for pack-ability. The cloudburst is cut with a "standard" fit, which allows for moderate layering. To me the cloudburst is strictly meant for rain/snow events.

Knowing this, the thunderhead still seems like the more economical/reasonable decision because it can be used for multiple occasions, not just rain.. Both options are outfitted with goretex and get 5/5 for water protection. So at this point I am asking for first hand experience with field use of these products.. I'm sure even someone with stormfront series experience could be able to give an opinion also... I guess I am looking to make sure I don't make a mistake purchasing the thunderhead series..

Another scenario I thought about is thunderhead pants with cloudburst jacket to give me room for more layering up top.

Looking at 35 degree average low to 65 degree average high temps.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a matched set of the cloudburst and it does not pack well at all, quite bulky for hunting gear. Super noisy too. I’ve been in one good downpour in it and it worked. If I hadn’t see. The weather coming ahead of time I probably wouldn’t have even brought it out. My most expensive and least used clothing. It does what it should do but is bulky and yes I can wear over my other layers. Certainly no insulation in it but has some value as a wind blocker. Seems well made.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I have a matched set of the cloudburst and it does not pack well at all, quite bulky for hunting gear. Super noisy too. I’ve been in one good downpour in it and it worked. If I hadn’t see. The weather coming ahead of time I probably wouldn’t have even brought it out. My most expensive and least used clothing. It does what it should do but is bulky and yes I can wear over my other layers. Certainly no insulation in it but has some value as a wind blocker. Seems well made.

Thank you for the response!! That is very good information.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I agree with everything exbio posted in terms of bulk and noise and have a few additional thoughts. I currently own the Stormfront but have never used the Thunderhead. I have however owned at least 3 Gore-Tex jackets with the brushed polyester knit face that is utilized in the Thunderhead. In my opinion they are really different pieces of gear. For a “normal” western hunt where the rain storms might last 30 – 90 minutes or there is just wet brush from the morning dew the Thunderhead brushed polyester style is IMO the way to go. The Gore-Tex does what it should and for that type of exposure and keeps you relatively dry until conditions change. Also, as you noted, it is much quieter and packable. One thing that I’ve never seen noted on the Thunderhead are the existence of pit-zips which are a must have to me on a shell hunting jacket. The reason I added the Stormfront to my kit was duration of the storms. After using the brushed poly Gore-Tex on a really wet hunt (6+ hours of rain per day) I started getting wet late on day 2. It seems like the DWR on the polyester seemed to wear off quicker and the jacket felt wet out, couple that with the extra water weight getting stuck in that very low nap of the surface it just wasn’t comfortable. The Stormfront is a much harder and slicker surface which seems to shed water much better. The downside to that is it is loud. I haven’t had the opportunity to get stuck in a 5 day rainstorm with that jacket yet, but I’m much more confident in staying comfortable in that vs. anything I’ve used with a brushed poly face. The Stormfront does have ample space for layering so even as a late season shell it would work well. If I was taking off for a wet climate hunt tomorrow and could only take 1 jacked the Stormfront would get the call.

You didn’t note exactly what type of use you had in mind but if it were for day hunts with minimal rain showers expected I’d opt for (and do still use) a poly faced Gore-Tex jacket. Now if you’ve been waiting 10+ years for a specific tag and the week before season the forecast calls for rain every day I would look at something like the Stormfront and stay in the field longer. IME if it’s raining hard enough / long enough to utilize the advantages of the Stormfront the little bit of extra noise the jacket will make won’t be noticed and is the least of your distractions at that time. Just like anything it’s how specific are you willing to tailor your equipment to a unique circumstance. I didn’t consciously make it a priority, but over the past few years my rain gear has gotten a lot more specialized than any other one category of gear. Just my .02

"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk." - Tuco
M
OP Offline
M
Another great response!! Thank you.. this is exactly the kind of information I have been looking for.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.