Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14075810 08/25/19
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Not that I need a kit gun, but if you were looking for a gun to carry in your box while fishing, what would you choose.

I've got some smaller pistols like a j-frame, but mostly I keep full size pistols around for shooting. Since I don't want to wade all day flyfishing with the extra weight of a full size, I'm looking for something lighter.

Couple years ago I would have went with a Ruger LC9, but I haven't kept up much. What would you guys be looking at?

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
What do you want it for, plinking, 4 legged self defense, 2 legged self defense?

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Plinking makes the most sense. But I've seen some things happen at the access points that i wouldnt rule out self defense. 4 legged predators arent a thing where I fish.

I had one of the Browning black label 380. Loved the idea of it, but it was the most unreliable gun I've ever owned.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
LCP, Glock 42 or 42. Ang a untold lengthy list of 22 handguns. Do not put it in a fishing box... it will mistakingly get left ther occasionally and moisture will rust parts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hikerbum
LCP, Glock 42 or 42. Ang a untold lengthy list of 22 handguns. Do not put it in a fishing box... it will mistakingly get left ther occasionally and moisture will rust parts.

^^^This^^^

Glock 42 or Ruger LCP if you want a really reliable .380. Those 2 are hard to beat!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sig P365 hands down, nothing comes close.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

Sig P365 hands down, nothing comes close.

Agreed if you want a 9mm, but I wouldn’t leave mine in my tackle box like the OP described.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/25/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Police trade in Glock 40S&W.

Water resistant as they come,
wear resistant finish.
Accurate enough,
powerful enough,
Cheap for what you get.

Not because I own one, I don't.

Should!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
An LC9s would be good, or less expensive yet, an EC9s; fixed sights but seem to be extremely reliable. I'd also consider a Ruger LCR, LCRx with our with out the hammer, which ever you prefer. They can be had in 22LR, 22 Mag, 38 special, 357 mag, 327 Fed mag, or 9mm. Frankly for what seems to be your purpose I'd go with the 38 special. Pretty handy guns. I've grown quite fond of mine.

There are 3 different versions of the LCR.
Hammerless Short Barrel
With Hammer Short Barrel
With Hammer 3" Barrel I like these for what you are thinking of. Comes in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 38 Special, and 357 mag, and I assume (soon to come) 327 Fed Mag.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want to plink while you fish, there are many good 22's to choose from. Personally, when I fish I put the S&W Governor in the glove box of my boat. Finish is water resistant. Any of the calibers/shells are great for most use including self defense against scumbags on the lake or at the boatramp. 410 is a great snake killer.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

If it will be a Centerfire on your belt, I say go with a small light 9mm to keep plinking costs down & be good for defense. There are many to choose from. And just a sampling, in the last few weeks I bought two different 9mom's that were barely used that were both well under $200. A Canik TP9 SA (like a Walther 99) and a Tristar imported Canik C100 (like a CZ 75 compact).

If you mean to keep it in your tacklebox (which means no self defense to me) then a stainless .22 auto (Ruger comes to mind) or even a stainless or plated revolver. Ruger .22's can be bought cheap once the finish starts to show wear. And they keep going. Again, a small 9mm won't really take up any extra room.

Another thought is to find a CZ 52 in 7.72x25. They are tough reliable ex-military guns, were always inexpensive (dont know about these days) and the round is cheap to shoot and Hot. I paid $125 for the one I bought years ago, like new with holster and spare mag. They are probably double that now. Loud though...

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
An LC9s would be good, or less expensive yet, an EC9s; fixed sights but seem to be extremely reliable. I'd also consider a Ruger LCR, LCRx with our with out the hammer, which ever you prefer. They can be had in 22LR, 22 Mag, 38 special, 357 mag, 327 Fed mag, or 9mm. Frankly for what seems to be your purpose I'd go with the 38 special. Pretty handy guns. I've grown quite fond of mine.

There are 3 different versions of the LCR.
Hammerless Short Barrel
With Hammer Short Barrel
With Hammer 3" Barrel I like these for what you are thinking of. Comes in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 38 Special, and 357 mag, and I assume (soon to come) 327 Fed Mag.

Any of the above mentioned would work great. I’m still pizzed off at Ruger for not releasing the 3” barreled LCR with adjustable sights in .327 Fed Mag yet like they’ve claimed they’re going too. It would make the ultimate little “Kit Gun”

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A $200 Taurus G2C would probably be my pick. They've proven to be reliable, they're cheap, good capacity, cheap, reasonable size, cheap, shoot pretty well. Oh, and they're cheap if they go swimming.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
A $200 Taurus G2C would probably be my pick. They've proven to be reliable, they're cheap, good capacity, cheap, reasonable size, cheap, shoot pretty well. Oh, and they're cheap if they go swimming.

This! I've been impressed with my dads. Way more accurate than my shield and has been extremely reliable with a VERY wide range of ammo. I really like these.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How big are the fish.....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I used tackle box loosely. It'll be kept in the house when its not in my flyfishing vest or pack.
I owned several 40s, even had a 357Sig. Won't own another. I've been looking at the g2c for a while. Shot a friends quite a bit. Heck of a gun for the money. I also like the mk 3 idea for a 22. Probably even heavier than the G2 or lc9.

I also had the cz-52, and i think i'ld take the old Makarov first.

If I didnt like my S&W model 37 so much i'ld just pack it.

A rational person would just grab a 22 for snakes and squirrels. That would pretty well cover it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I usually grab a 2” 38sp of some stripe when I head to the fishing hole. I shoot snakes and pigs when necessary out at the bass pond and the lake and creek I usually catfish has been known to have the occasional meth lab around hidden in the weeds. I feel a little bit better with a 38 and an extra speed strip when poking around down there at night.
I’m an S&W guy so it’s a 36, 10-5, or my 15-3, all 2” for me. But I’ve given the 3” LCR some thought too. Would probably buy one if it would fit any of the holsters I already own.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want a light reliable pocket carry .22 pistol, I’d highly recommend this one. Mine stays loaded with 11 rounds of CCI Stingers.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sr22r-22lr-blue-titanium.html

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/25/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Fishing gun"?
I tend to use hooks. Much easier on the "catch and release " aspects....
....as for shooting fish in a barrel, I hear it's not as easy as it sounds.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, in all truth, a "fishing gun" is a major reason why I exist. A short tale to tell...

When my father was dating my mother, he went fishing with the "old man" to make a good impression. While out in the boat, my grandfather hooked a water moccasin just behind the head, and held it over my dad's head, as my dad tried to get away from it. At one point, he was flat on his back in the bottom of the boat, with that snake pissed off just inches away. My grandfather decided that this boy had no sand, and was not fit for his daughter.
My dad is a soft spoken man, who sees it as a failure If he has to raise his voice. He's a decon in the church, well read, well spoken, and my role model. He was silent as the boat returned to the wharf. As it touched the dock, he jumped out and walked up to the hardware store at the top of the ramp, and walked back to the gun counter. (Back then, you could buy most anything at the hardware store.)
He paid for a .22lr 9 shot revolver, loaded it , and walked back to the boat.
He pointed it at my grandfather's forehead, and said calmly, "you ever pull a stunt like that again, I will kill you."
At that moment, my grandfather realized he had misjudged the man in front of him. That revolver rode in his tackle box for the next 10 years.
My grandfather later took my mother aside, and told her he approved of the young man, and her safety would never be in doubt. He never told her why.
I'm the second child of thier union, and the story did not come out, until I was a young man.
That revolver was stolen from his home during repairs using an outside contractor. It has never been recovered.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.