Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
If you want a light reliable pocket carry .22 pistol, I’d highly recommend this one. Mine stays loaded with 11 rounds of CCI Stingers.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sr22r-22lr-blue-titanium.html

There is an option i hadnt seen. I like that.

In all honesty I have a cheap High Standard Sentinel that I use for a truck gun. Would do fine as double duty, and the abuse couldnt hurt it. Always fun to look at options.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd like a Smith 651 for carry or safe spot in fishing gear.
But they be pricey these days.

For a beater I'd get maybe an LCRX.
Or a used Glock 9mm.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/25/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've lugged a 629 and 1911 on my hip when fishing.

Just remembered, also toted a 648 for a while.

But my back is screwed up and I'm older now.
No more full size rigs when fishing.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LJBass
Not that I need a kit gun, but if you were looking for a gun to carry in your box while fishing, what would you choose.

I've got some smaller pistols like a j-frame, but mostly I keep full size pistols around for shooting. Since I don't want to wade all day flyfishing with the extra weight of a full size, I'm looking for something lighter.

Couple years ago I would have went with a Ruger LC9, but I haven't kept up much. What would you guys be looking at?

If you are not looking for something for bear defense, or something to shoot at beer cans or turtles, etc., it would seem to me that you already have just what you need. Load your J - frame S&W with a combination of snake shot and SWCs or HPs of your choosing and you are well armed for whatever. Take along an optional speed strip or speed loader if desired. This should take care of any rabid animals - coyote sized types and 2 legged types as well - that you might encounter, snakes, attack perch, etc., that you may encounter. A J - frame is lightweight, compact, and .38 SPL is powerful enough punch for any of these critters. Now if you have a concern about bears, I would suggest a S&W M-69 .44 Mag with the heaviest SWCs you can find. This is an L frame and a little bit larger than a K frame, but much handier than a N frame. A good way to carry it would be in a chest holster. JMHO, YMMV.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by jwp475

Sig P365 hands down, nothing comes close.

Agreed if you want a 9mm, but I wouldn’t leave mine in my tackle box like the OP described.

Covers all bases plinking, self defense, etc.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Given the OP's stated use for said "Kit Gun" (which sure as hell isn't a .40 S&W Y'all) I would suggest perhaps an Ruger LCRx in either .22 WMR or .38 Spl. The .327 Federal magnum sounds interesting, and I might just be tempted if they ever bring it out!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My favorite "fishing" companion is a S&W 60-10 J-frame .357 Magnum 3" with adjustable sights.

If you want a little lighter then the above mentioned LCRX3" in .22 LR, .22 Magnum, .357 Magnum, or the 9mm or .327 once they are brought out, are about as good as it gets for a compact "plinker".

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I keep a governor for my fishing boat gun. couple bird shot and some 45 colts. Shoot snakes, hogs whatever I need it for. It does everything I need.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet...

A PMR 30 would be an interesting choice.
Reports on early ones were pretty problematic, but it looks like Kel Tec sorted out their issues a while ago.

Super light (gun loaded with 30 rounds is about 1.25 lbs), very high capacity, easy triggers and they are a Blast to plink with. Mine is a good, accurate plinker but not a target gun. Shoots better than I expected though so I'm happy with it.

40 grain bullets run around 1300 fps so its a lot like shooting a .22 rifle. A little louder than most people expect, and you get muzzle flash but NBD.

A far cry from a Ruger Mark II, or a K22 Masterpiece, but WAY more packable. And you'll never worry about scratching it.

Just a thought.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back when I lived on the Olympic peninsula, I fished a lot of beaver ponds and trout/steelhead streams.
My handgun was a Charter Armrs Pathfinder 22lr, 3 inch.
Fed it CCI mini mags, which it liked. Shot a lot of critters with it.
Still have it, but it has been replaced by a Ruger SR 22
You could do a lot worse than a 22

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Any kind of Glock.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave my son a Ruger SR22 a couple years ago. He does a lot of kayaking on rivers fishing for those bronzeback bass. The little .22 semi auto is always in the yak. He had to shoot one cottonmouth that wouldn't let him by and said it was comforting at the take out spot at dark one evening when two nefarious looking dudes drove in and parked nearby giving him the stink eye. He doesn't have to actually carry the gun but size is a consideration in a kayak. If it were me, I would probably have an Airweight J frame .38 along on my fishing trip. But I'm getting kinda old school and find that more often than not I usually have a S&W 642 with me. It is becoming my "always have gun."

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not that I need a kit gun, but if you were looking for a gun to carry in your box while fishing, what would you choose

I don't understand the seemingly common view of "kit guns." The things people choose seem exactly counter-intuitive to me. If I'm out fishing, I'm not going to shoot something unless it is fixin' to kill me or permanently maim me. About the only options we have for that are bear, cougar, wolves, feral livestock, and real bad large dogs. Those call for a .44 magnum, not a rimfire. If the problem is snakes, if I can hit them in the head with a pistol, they're not doing anything that warrants shooting them in the first place. If I truly need to shoot them, then I need a shotgun with quail loads ... like low base 12 gauge 3-1-8s.

My fishing gun is my short single action .44.

YMMV.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WE usually fish among bears... I have taken to carrying a Taurus Titanium 5-shot revolver in 44Spl with hard-cast...

Would Never question someone using a 22lr for a carry-around. Those little suckers really dig deep. About as much good as you can get without substantially more weight.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't fish much, but my best friend does. We both have SW360 PD, and they weigh almost nothing. He has first 2 rounds birdshot for snake, and the other 3 rounds 337 hollowpoint. I just use 357 for walking the dogs in the woods. EZ carry and secure in a blackhawk serpa..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I grew up reading outdoor writers from my very early youth and envisioned myself in this romanticized ideal of someday packing a .22 "kit gun" as i hiked/hunted or whatever through the wilderness using it to shoot targets of opportunity, defend myself from snakes, bag a rabbit or grouse for supper, or even to survive off the land. Many years later when I was able to buy a gun like that, I quickly discovered that even shooting the lowly .22 LR out of a handgun for a few rounds without ear protection, leaves my ears ringing.

Over the years, I've arrived at the conclusion T_O_M stated here- except we don't have cougars and only recently have there been black bear sightings where I live and hunt, so I don't actually need a .44 magnum.

I don't understand the seemingly common view of "kit guns." The things people choose seem exactly counter-intuitive to me. If I'm out fishing, I'm not going to shoot something unless it is fixin' to kill me or permanently maim me. About the only options we have for that are bear, cougar, wolves, feral livestock, and real bad large dogs. Those call for a .44 magnum, not a rimfire. If the problem is snakes, if I can hit them in the head with a pistol, they're not doing anything that warrants shooting them in the first place. If I truly need to shoot them, then I need a shotgun with quail loads ... like low base 12 gauge 3-1-8s.

My fishing gun is my short single action .44.

So, I've arrived at the conclusion that I need to decide before I leave for a hike or whatever, what the purpose of the gun is. If it's to shoot targets of opportunity and maybe try to bag a small game animal or two, I need to either bring ear plugs or take a suppressed gun. If the purpose of packing is to have a gun for my personal comfort/ security while I do other things, where the most likely predator that I would encounter would be the two legged kind, I want something more powerful than a .22 LR.

For the former purpose, I have a 22/45 Lite & suppressor. For the latter, I would've gone with my 5" aluminum frame 1911 until recently, but I bought a 3" S&W 60 that I've worked over a little bit and have grown pretty fond of it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I keep a governor for my fishing boat gun. couple bird shot and some 45 colts. Shoot snakes, hogs whatever I need it for. It does everything I need.

Agree with this.

I see a lot of gun writer and youtube types putting down the concept of the Governor, but I think it is a damn good gun. Useful, and fun to shoot.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I’ll join the chorus of people advocating for the Sig 365. Great gun. Fired over 1000 rounds without a jam of any kind, plenty accurate, and really small. Best choice, in my experience.

God bless America.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Not that I need a kit gun, but if you were looking for a gun to carry in your box while fishing, what would you choose.

I've got some smaller pistols like a j-frame, but mostly I keep full size pistols around for shooting. Since I don't want to wade all day flyfishing with the extra weight of a full size, I'm looking for something lighter.

Couple years ago I would have went with a Ruger LC9, but I haven't kept up much. What would you guys be looking at?

The compact Glock G30S would be a solid choice.

[Linked Image]

It is lightweight, yet has sufficient capacity for a compact .45 ACP pistol (10+1)

With proper ammo selection it will likely handle any aggressive animal, large or small.

It is also roughly the size of a G19, so it is pretty comfortable to carry on a regular basis, so a guy is not likely to leave it in a pack or his camper instead of wearing it in a chest pack, or belt holster.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I'm carrying a pistol these days it is a PPQ45 or a short, heavy frame Vaquero in 45 Colt.

And I am damn near always carrying a pistol.

Last edited by SargeMO; 09/06/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1_deuce, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 41 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.