Hop To
#14077757 08/26/19
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dear Wade,

This is your brother Johnny, writin' to you from somewhere overseas. Sarge says we can't tell you where we are.

I was at another undisclosed location on leave and bought me some huntin' magazines. They reminded me of home. Fall is comin' and I'll be the only brother that's not headin' to deer camp. Of course, you know I'll be back in the new year.

Anyways, I was readin' this article about the latest deer bullets they're makin' - "The Six Best Deer Bullets of 2019". Holy Hannah, Wade! When did I become daddy? Not one of them bullets was what we use every year. They was all fancy and expensive! Funny, but not one was a cup and core!

I can understand daddy's thinkin' a little better now. Since he hunts with a 30-30, there's no need to get fancy with the ammunition. I imagine he still takes a box of Remington or Winchester store bought bullets with him to deer camp. For more years than I've been alive, he's harvested at least one buck every fall. But apparently, he's not supposed to be successful. At least, that's what they wrote in the magazine.

It said that daddy's Core Lokt bullets don't work well, so I guess it's amazin' that he manages to harvest anything! Daddy and them dead deer would probably disagree though. I wonder how many people actually use Core Lokts? There must be enough demand for the company to continue makin' them. It sure makes me glad that we didn't grow up in California! Huntin' ammunition must be real expensive there! Did you know that they actually make 30-30 ammunition with copper bullets? It's over $30 a box!! Daddy pays about $10 a box on sale most years. That copperized ammunition is crazy expensive!

I expect you guys are fussin' over your rifles about now, gettin' them all cleaned up and ready. Remember when I bought my 722 at the hardware store? Daddy said I was gettin' way above my raisin' with a fancy thing like that. I just remember tellin' him that I wanted something different than a 30-30. I always liked bolt actions. It was used, but was in pretty good condition. I got no reason to change it for anything else. When I get back, I wanna load up some 150 grain Core Lokts, so I can go out with you guys next fall. I know you and daddy ain't big on reloadin', but it's a fun hobby. You should come out with me and shoot some reloads at the dirt pile. You can bring your Marlin.

Is it true that big brother Bobby took a whitetail last fall that weighed 165 lb? That's what he told me. I ain't callin' him a liar, but he must be lyin'. Deer don't get that big there! I'll check the record book at the store in Sevierville when I get back. smile Tell him that I said that, okay?

If you was nice, you'd buy me a box of 150 grain Core Lokts or Interlocks and a pound of 4895 as a homecomin' gift. I got presents for everybody there. I mailed them ahead, so I don't have to lug everything with me.

I'm gonna replace that old K4 I got with the rifle. It's about done. You been followin' that silly Leupold argument the boys at 24 Hr Campfire was havin'? Jeez, some of them had their panties in a twist for sure! I figure to get me 4x33 Leupold over at Dicks. I'm gonna treat myself after bein' over here.

Anyhow, make sure you send pix of the deer you guys shoot. A couple of my buddies are hunters and we like lookin' at them. Tell daddy that my best friend's daddy hunts whitetails in New York state and uses an old Model 94 too. I guess them writers ain't always right!

Anyways, from somewhere over here, it's your little brother Johnny sayin' bye. I'll email you next week.

[Linked Image]

Johnny

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dear Johnny,

It's ok to trust the .30-30 and Core Lokt bullets, but I caution that you still have to shoot them. I have heard that you only have to show the deer a .270 and they'll laff themselves to death.

Uncle Holiday

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi. I know it's okay to trust the 30-30. Daddy and Wade have been usin' one for years and no one ever went hungry.

I'm thinkin' that I just don't understand big business. Rather than improvin' some of the rifles or cartridges with better bullets or the proper riflin' twists, they keep pumpin' out more and more stuff. Them companies remind me of what it was like growin' up. Daddy would catch us throwin' fresh cow dung against the wall of the milkin' shed. We figured if we threw enough of it, some would stick. Them companies think the same way. In the end, it's all about sheit.

I got two buddies. One grew up in New York state. The other comes from North Dakota. When we talk about huntin', a lot of the game is the same, but the cartridges we use and the shootin' ranges are different. Rolly hunted his whole life on the plains and owns a 30-06. Brad walks the trees and small hills of New York with a 30-30. We never argued about what cartridge or rifle was best. We all use what is needed to get the job done. We understand that, but a lot of them web forum people don't seem to get it. I wonder why?

I miss the changin' of the leaves, and havin' more cooler days and rainy nights. It's a sure sign that Mother Nature is gettin' ready for winter. It also means huntin' season, Thanksgivin' and Christmas ain't far behind. You should send some pictures of Sevierville, when it's decorated for Christmas.

Johnny

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Dear Wade,

You seen this yet? I just got a copy of this month's "Buddy Montana's Huntin' Magazine" and they published a review about a really nice scope called the Swarovski dS 5-25x52. It's really fancy! I'm not sure if it would be a good scope for me to use though.

You should see it! There's a rangefinder built in so that when you're in the cornfield, you can measure how far away the coyote is, and it automatically shows you where to aim! Yeah! It runs on batteries and has a computer built into it. And no, I ain't pullin' your leg!

It kinda reminds me of the target tech we got in the army. We've been usin' equipment like this for years, but it was always too expensive for average folks to buy.

That bein' said, the article says this scope retails for $4500. I'm typin' that again. $4500! Okay, I love coyote huntin' as much as you, but Holy Hannah, $4500! Remember what daddy said about Leupolds costin' too much? Would you show him the scope and tell me what his opinion is? You can leave out the cussin'! Ha, ha!

My buddy Rolly says that somethin' like that belongs on a Savage Axis. I'm thinkin' that he was teasin' me.

Swarovski scopes come from Austria. Them Euros have it all over us for optics, but I'm thinkin' that they ain't gonna sell many. Too pricy! You would have to be rich like that writer John Barsness to afford somethin' like that. Plus, carryin' a varmint rig with this scope on top will require a forklift! Just the scope adds 2 1/2 pounds to the weight of the rifle. I guess if you can afford the scope, then you'll probably hire someone to carry your gear. I hear that's what gun writers do. They hire apprentice writers to do all the heavy liftin'.

The glass is probably not gonna break, but I sure hope the electronicals don't! Lifetime warranty or not, it's a real downer when your scope fails on a hunt. There ain't no post offices or repair centres in the cornfield.

Big brother would like this thing because he can use it with his cellphone. They got software that you put on your phone to link to the scope. I'm thinkin' that the time is gonna come when we won't have to go huntin' at all.

It's kinda scary. All you'll have to do is select the app on your phone and it will launch a huntin' drone out to the cornfield. It will be the civilian version of a "seek and destroy" mission, controlled from the comfort of your den. Add a couple of R2D2s to field dress the whitetail and you're done! Crazy!

Talk to you soon.

Johnny

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dear Wade,

This is your favorite kid brother again. writin' from over here.

Not much to tell you about this time. We were at the PX for a big shoppin' trip, so we could have everything shipped home in time for Christmas. Kinda weird doin' it so early. I gotta tell you about the PX!

There was this sign on the wall advertisin' coolers. Lots of guys buy them over here. But check this out!

I know that English ain't their first language, but these were the posters by the cooler display. It looks like he's fishin' in water, not a field!

I'm thinkin' the second one was advertisin' that their coolers are airtight. The polar bears livin' here in the desert will not smell the fish. I'm also thinkin' that it should read, "Fear not, baby!" instead of "fear no baby"...but I might be wrong about that.

Could it be their translation software?

The things you see when you're travellin'!

Johnny

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.