Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
With prime time this fall is going to be under a full moon what will be your strategy?
This will be my first year hunting elk during the full moon phase. Not sure what to expect.
Looking for some strategy or tips this September.
Thanks

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hunt at night! grin Seriously though, while it’s not ideal....hunt as normal. Do not forget to be out hunting in the middle of the day! Often, they’ll get up move about, get a drink or whatever. Be there waiting for them! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/26/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Uh yeah.
They don’t exactly go indoors at day.
They live in the outdoors most likely bedded during the day.
Still hunt

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sleep in and hunt middle of the day to dark.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great question here. So glad not to see a "what about this caliber" thread. It will be full moon opening day this year for us. I haven't had good luck with full moon unless the weather is bad. Interesting to hear what other people say. I don't have the answer, but I do like the hunt at night idea. I mean, not like load the gun and shoot them at night, but find them and wait until legal shooting hours. A good spotting scope or binos would be really helpful for giant meadows.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 08/26/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Hunt at night! grin Seriously though, while it’s not ideal....hunt as normal. Do not forget to be out hunting in the middle of the day! Often, they’ll get up move about, get a drink or whatever. Be there waiting for them! memtb

Yep

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Elk can see in near pitch dark. I don't think the moon makes much difference. They know the sun's not shining and they do the same things.

About them moving around in the daytime - I once got a spike with my bow at 2pm right out in the sagebrush feeding. There were 2 of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3 years ago during rifle season we had the super moon. At 7am on opening day we saw a 6x6 and 7x7 just getting up from bedding. On Sunday at 8am I saw 2 5x5s in the same place get out of their beds and feed. Of course we had cow tags. Year before took a 5x5 that was with 2 other bulls at 2:30 pm and it was quite warm. Last year took 2 5x5s at 11:30am and another 5x5 at 8:30am the next day. Couple other hunters back in there took both of their bulls about half hour before sunset.
Moral of the story, hunt all day, forget the moon phase. If you want to know exact timing of the moon use this : https://www.sunrisesunset.com/predefined.asp

Last edited by Kyhilljack; 08/26/19.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you see a herd in the open right at dark, be there before shooting light the next morning. Most likely they'll still be there. I haven't noticed that the moon will change that any.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sneak into the bedding area a couple hours before daylight and wait for them to join you.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RMerta
With prime time this fall is going to be under a full moon what will be your strategy?
This will be my first year hunting elk during the full moon phase. Not sure what to expect.
Looking for some strategy or tips this September.
Thanks

Reckon you should expect a full Moon.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Moon be damned....

I'm hunting all day regardless on all hunts. Let what you are seeing and not seeing dictate how and when you hunt times of day....

Middle of the day at water/wallows can be really good regardless of the moon. Cows are hot when they are and the day is hottest at mid/late day regardless of moon. Let everyone else eat and nap at camp. Cannot tell you how many things I've killed/glassed in middle of day....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Great question here. So glad not to see a "what about this caliber" thread. It will be full moon opening day this year for us. I haven't had good luck with full moon unless the weather is bad. Interesting to hear what other people say. I don't have the answer, but I do like the hunt at night idea. I mean, not like load the gun and shoot them at night, but find them and wait until legal shooting hours. A good spotting scope or binos would be really helpful for giant meadows.

You just wouldn’t make it where I grew up! Night was the best hunting, cooler and less people in the woods! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fact brother, I've killed lots between 10-2, that 185" Montana buck last year was 1 pm... Lots of blacktails, in that time too...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cervids move according to their feeding needs.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the moon effects them some. However, I think weather and temperature affects daytime movmement much more than the moon. If it is cool and cloudy, they will keep going until later in the morning and start up earlier in the evening. If it is hot and sunny, they will bed up quickly and stay put until late. Just my 2 cents from 20 years of chasing the wonderful beasts. smile

R
RMerta Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of my partners has a theory, totally unproven at this point. He thinks that when the moon is bright in the morning, the elk can't tell the difference between night and day so they keep feeding later.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Middle of the day is a great time to glass for them bedded down. I don't look for bodies, I look for the rack glass low and slow. Moving slowly is the key, glass and glass again before moving. Find one in the bed and plan your stalk.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A university friend monitored elk activity with GPS collars equipped with motion sensors. Sadly unpublished. They were more active on nights with a bright moon and more active during those same daylight hours as well.

Given our limited opportunity, I hunt when the season's open.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/27/19.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.