Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Was just looking for something in my desk in my study and came across something that has a lot of meaning to me, even though I've never used it, rarely think of it and sadly, considered it has spent its entire life with me just sitting and gathering a bit of dust in a dark mahogany drawer. Few of the folks I grew up with, and surely none of those I work with these days would even have the foggiest idea of what this thing is, even if given an hour with it in their hands.

Less than a year before I learned with much sadness that this gent had died, this same thin gent, one I considered a friend in spite of only having been cyber and phone friends, asked me and a few others via email if any might be interested in buying something he'd custom made in his machine shop. One that was expertly crafted by old, rough skinned hands that had spent decades fashioning amazing things of great utility and precision out of raw bars, chunks, billets and rods of steel. This thing he'd been commissioned to make on a handshake and a promise that when complete would be happily paid for and picked up, never was.

Some spineless jellyfish whose word meant less than nothing had stiffed him and refused to follow through with payment. Even though I had no real immediate or practical use for this item, I told my friend that I'd take it. And not for the figure he quoted, one that had him able to recoup *maybe* the cost of materials only but not a single penny for any of the labor and great efforts exerted to design, build and ultimately attain its perfection. I agreed to pay his asking price but stuffed an envelope, and sent almost triple what he'd quoted. He deserved at least that. How could a man in good conscience buy something of that kind of quality knowing that the craftsman's efforts bringing this thing to life were equal to nothing but many hours of his wasted time?

I know not the answer for any other, but for me and me only, the answer was clear; one couldn't. This gent, one whose written words over the years I'd giggled at, learned from, admired, provoked thought from reading and went on more than one occasion to minor-league drunken war with, is still missed. I guess even before he'd dubbed me the 'inscrutable one', I knew I liked him and hoped to meet him some fair day, and had offered more than once to make it so. It never happened, but I'd like to believe that if it did we'd have shared stories not fit to be uttered in the presence of woman nor child, and laughed and bashed one another in the arm and maybe found an eye getting moist.

It wasn't until, however, when, during the heat of a particularly spicy online exchange between him and some lowly troll who'd run out of clever retorts and insults and advanced to not-so-thinly veiled threats, when reading his words that I guffawed out loud and thought to myself, 'man, I love this old dude and I do truly believe he means what he says!'

The one particularly nasty threat shot at him here was leveled against not only him only but also his beloved and faithful dog. In his response, Greg was plain, unemotional and he wrote back something like, 'I've told you where I reside. I don't fear you and if you're foolish enough to follow through, you're welcome to come anytime to attempt to carry out your threats. But know this: if you are so lucky as to actually make it onto my property and as much as lay a finger on my dog, so help me God I'll burn you alive'. And he meant it.

Godspeed, blue skies and endless expanses of desert flowers and bunnies running flat out everywhere to you Gracie, and to your daddy.

Well said, Leighton. Well said.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greg was one of my favorite 'Fire characters, never one to beat around the bush and he sure had a way with words. Not many left in this world like him.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was a holdover from days ago.

He’d lived a full life in his experiences.

Unless just really in his cups, he said what he meant and meant what he said.

I’ve no doubt you two would have enjoyed each other’s company Leighton.

God bless you for your remembrance of Greg.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I enjoyed the man, and his dog, very much.
In fact I had just found his phone number when it came out that he'd passed.
I sure miss our conversations.

A fine warrior gone.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Leighton - well done, and .timing most appropriate. Spent a good bit of time visiting, conjuring, re-designing, speculating and reminiscing with Greg - some with the SW gang at his place but most in solo - and have a few of those made things. Not always easy, and sometimes confusing, but always the same very real guy at his core - not many like that for sure. Wish the conclusion would have been better, but doesn't matter much now. Thanks again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you, Leighton.

I was proud to call Greg my friend. As with others here, there were many phone calls, and a few visits to the "Rusty Iron". I was privileged to spend a few days with him in his shop, working on various projects, seeing his "garden", and going to the range with him.

He was an amateur botanist, a old-school machinist, a critical thinker, and a good friend. He had a lot of good friends, mostly because he was a good friend. His mind never stopped exploring possibilities whether it was agronomy, designing, machining, or solving everyday problems of a desert garden.

Even though Evil Twin lit the fire for a Sharps in me. it was Greg who fanned the flames by letting me shoot his "Badgersoli", "Indian Warrior" and I was instantly addicted to BPCR.

Generous to a fault to anyone who he met, he was prone to almost giving away pieces he had created.

I miss him and remember him every time I cast bullets as he made two ladles for me, custom "Cameron Dumpsters", one single spout, the other a "Cameron Double Dumpster" which was made specifically to line up with the cavities of my two bullet Lyman mould for the Parker Hale bullet, filling both cavities simultaneously with enough capacity to turn out two of those 485gr bullets at a time with one pour.

As for Gracie, that dog loved him as much as he loved her. Her smile was something to ponder, particularly the first time one encountered it. (See above photo for a classic Gracie smile!)

May he rest in peace.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had the privilege of spending a couple of days with him, including time on the range, as well as having occasional phone conversations. Truly one of a kind.

One thing that was immediately evident when conversing with him was how articulate he was. As rough around the edges as he might appear, he didn't have the need to affect a form of speech filled with "ain'ts" and "them things" and "I seen" that certain educated people affect to appear more down home or cowboy or whatever. I'm not talking about folks like my good neighbor who naturally speak that way, I'm talking about those for whom it's a put on style, an affectation. I don't know what formal education Greg may have had, doesn't matter anyhow, but one would not have difficulty believing that he was highly educated.

Also, contrary to what our parents and teachers told us, the ability to swear colorfully does not indicate a lack of intelligence, but quite the opposite. Greg must have been a genius.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
R.I.P. crossfire.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was just glad to be able to help him get the old pistol shooting.

He is missed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
He would PM me about specifics from photos I would post of my construction projects. Never met him but clearly a sharp man.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Beautiful words that I know are sincere. Your words say as much about him as they do you, you’re a good man for taking the time to so eloquently memorialize the memory of good and feisty man. I, like you, had my dust ups after a late night of drinking which found us both griping about something stupid but we always got ourselves straightened out. I respected Greg and his abilities and we shared many wonderful conversations finding ourselves far more similar than we were different. Greg is most definitely missed and I thank you for remembering him with your kind words.

Kamo, You’re words are as beautiful and descriptive as your pictures. I hope you and your beautiful wife are doing well. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounding a bit misty there KG. Very nice of you to tribute your friend. Quite frankly there was an extended period where CFO was pretty ornery with me. Then one day, it was over. At one point he sent me a pm which opened us up to exchanging small talk, nothing earth shattering . I'm sure he would have made a fine friend. I always liked that picture of him and his Mom eating out.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well said, Leighton. How I miss the Gregs and Mickeys of this world. Not enough of them to go around. It's human nature to take good friends for granted, until they are gone.......

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I opened this and started reading, I knew who you were talking about.

Greg was a good man. I enjoyed the time I spent with him and the dogs.

RIP

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last time I talked with Greg he was looking for a tiny switch for a project he was doing, I sent him a couple I had in my electronics scrap pile, I never heard if he had finished that project.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Sounding a bit misty there KG. .

When the day comes where I don't feel anything in my heart stirring at least some when remembering loved ones and friends I cared about now gone, accompanied by an imperceptible smile or a flood of tears, it means I am dead. I'm not always a sentimental sap prone to bouts of uncontrollable weeping, but admit I've made exceptions a few times over the years... wink

I was but one of many who were better for having known CFO. Thank you to friends who commented and shared memories of the man. B, I'll take a few pics and post back when I have a few minutes. You can then tell *me* what it is.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thank you Leighton. A fine post indeed.

When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson. - Will Rogers

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 17 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.