Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hello all
I'm going fishing this weekend and I dug out a new bait caster I have had for years and did not use it. It's an Abu Garcia. I don't recall the model. I want to put some line in it and I'm thinking 8 lbs mono. Is there a good 8 lb mono you would recommend. Of course I'm looking for something that won't bird's nest too easy and has good knot quality.

What say the fire ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like good old Trilene XT. Usually run 10lb at a minimum to reduce bird nest factor and more commonly 12lb for all around bass fishing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still prefer Trilene XL if I’m using Mono on a reel.

Nowadays, though, ALL of my bait casting reels and spinning reels are spooled with Fireline Braid.
Found I have a lot less backlashes on my bait casters and loops on my spinning reels using that stuff and lose a whole lot less fish and lures too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You asked about mono, I like braid, good fishing!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Nowadays, though, ALL of my bait casting reels and spinning reels are spooled with Fireline Braid.
Found I have a lot less backlashes on my bait casters and loops on my spinning reels using that stuff and lose a whole lot less fish and lures too.

What weight line to you like chlin ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

What weight line to you like chlin ?

kwg

I think I have 20 lb on all of mine. It’s the same diameter as 6 lb monofilament.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Trilene XL - 17 lb for everything but big blue Cats then 25 lb.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use 10-12 lb mono for the most part. Most are fine but the best are Suffix, Triline XL, and Bass Pro (clear)

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never throw less than 10 lb. on a baitcaster. When I start trying to make long cast with small line on a baitcaster it usually ends fubar. Trilene XL in 12-17 lb. range is easy peasy on a baitcaster.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yozuri hybrid 12 is great.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maxima Ultra green might be the best I’ve ever used. But it’s not available around here that I’ve found.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What you want is braid.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
I like good old Trilene XT. Usually run 10lb at a minimum to reduce bird nest factor and more commonly 12lb for all around bass fishing.

On Abu Garcia round reels this would be great advise.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I use braid on all my bait casters , 20 lb braid- has 6lb mono diameter.

If you are really wanting mono use either Maxima or P-Line.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK all here is what I did

I bought 2 different lines. One is Berkley Trilene XT, 20 lb. test. The 2nd is P-Line TCB X braid, 40 lb test. I put the Berkley 20 lb on the reel. The reel is an Abu Garcia Black Max. It's not an expensive real but it is rated well based on some of the reviews I saw. Since this is the first bait caster I have owned and it's not an expensive one I want to try the combination out and see if I like it. I'm going to the Mississippi this week end to fish with a brother in law and I'll get a chance to throw some lures.

The Berkley line was $8 for 270 yards so I'm not out much if I decide I don't like it. The P-Line TCB was $16 and was on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse. A sample of the line is attached to the box the and the box states that the line is equivalent to 10 lb mono line. If this test goes well I think I will want a better reel and I'll put the P-Line braid on it. I really like the Shimano reels but I can't say that I will use one enough to pay the price.

My pole is a Berkley Graphite. It's not an expensive pole and as I recall I bought the reel and the pole at same time. This has been all of 5 years ago and I didn't really have the opportunity to use either one until now. If I decide to go with a better reel I'm going to have to get a better pole as well.

The advantage of the 20 lb mono line is it's easy to see and tie. The color is Low Vis Green. I had a little incident with a table saw in 2008 and the fingers on my left hand don't move like they used to. The 20 lb line is easy to manipulate and tie.

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate you all taking your time to reply. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

kwg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd go with 10# XL.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I use braid on a baitcaster I have to use something pretty big. Else I’m just one snagged back cast from an unpickable bird nest. And IME braid that has a heavier weight than the mono the reel is rated for is hard on the internals of the reel, no stretch so it stresses the drive and worm gears leading to premature death of otherwise decent reels.

All my catfish outfits are spooled with 90lb braid that is about the diameter of 30lb mono. It’s big enough to cast and control in a 30 mph headwind in the dark by lantern light and doesn’t tie itself in too many knots when it gets away from me. That’s really the only application I prefer braid for and only then due to less stretch for fishing circle hooks with 100 yards of line out.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The braid I use is over 20 years old. I forget, but it may be Berkley Gorilla braid.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run Trilene XL 10lb on my everyday bait casters.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW I have three baitcasters at present, all spooled with braid. One of them is an Abu Garcia Black Max, and IIRC it has 25 lb braid on it. I couldn't swear to the make, but I think it may be PowerPro, though I've used others. Whatever it is, it seems to work fine, and I have caught a good number of our Murray Cod, a freshwater native here in Oz using this combination on an Ugly Stick over several years. Nonecaught with this setup have been huge (these fish can get pretty big) but some might have pushed towards 20 lbs. These were caught with spinnerbaits and with surface lures.

I always have a non-braid leader with braid, to give a little bit of shock-absorbency (and because it is less visible), Usually fluorcarbon, but I also use some co-polymer (P-Line, mostly).

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just got word the sister in law has come down with shingles. Her husband was who I was going with. The trip has been cancelled. Damn it all !!

kwg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.