Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
I live in Ohio so I have limited rifle calibers to choose from. So I'm going 450. I'm looking at two rifles. Ruger predator and Mossberg Patriot. The Ruger is about $200 more. Is there $200 more worth if quality in the Ruger or should I just go with the Mossberg? Thanks for any advice or opinions.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There will be a difference in the quality of those two rifles,but the deer will never know...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The one you like the best, will be the one to get. They will both be good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now a days you can spend $2500 on a new rifle and it won't shoot as good as a $250 rifle. Seems like you can get a new Mossberg and scope for the price of a new Ruger. So why not go for it with the Mossberg? If you end up not liking it you can always sell it and get a different gun.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
W
i'd personally go ruger between those 2 options. i've had good luck so far with the american line.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The Ruger has been consistently more accurate, but the Mossberg still shoots less than 2 MOA groups at 100 yards with the Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deer Season XP factory loads. I like the stock and magazine design better on the Mossberg Patriot. Since I have hands on experience with both rifles, I'd probably buy the Mossberg and spend the $200 on optics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had both, 2 ruger Americans actually. Sold both rugers and held onto the mossberg. I like the stock much more, solid moa or less shooter. I’d go with the mossberg.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Have had both, 2 ruger Americans actually. Sold both rugers and held onto the mossberg. I like the stock much more, solid moa or less shooter. I’d go with the mossberg.

MM

You know, a lot of people who have never owned, held, or fired a Mossberg Patriot put them down because they really aren't anything more than a 4th generation Raptor. I bought the Patriot for one of my son's friends to use on his first deer hunt last fall. I did so so that I could give it to him if he tagged a deer and if his parents approved, they didn't approve, so I will give it to him when he is 18, assuming that he still wants it. He is already talking about going deer hunting with us in October, November, and January.

I still think that the Marlin X guns were a superior platform, but the decision makers at Freedom Group killed it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a Ruger American in 7-08 and a Mossberg Patriot in the 30-06. The Mossberg was hands down a better gun. Mine had a wood stock, and it looked nice, especially for what I paid. IMO it didn’t feel cheap, the only real hit that I had was that the bolt felt a little “wobbly” when in the open position, but locked up nicely when closed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My grandson has one 30/06.I put him a Bushnell 3200 on it the other day,and it shoots Federal blue-box under an inch.What more can you ask for,especially for the price?

IC B3

T
T
I like both rifles but if you are on a strict budget I would go with the Mossberg that way you have a little extra cash for optics and you can buy a few different types of ammo to try out.

Being in the woods soothes the soul
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Personally I’d buy the Ruger, as I’ve owned several of the Americans and have been very pleased with them.

But buy which ever one you can afford. As someone mentioned above, the deer won’t know the difference. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/04/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Mossberg

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I own 5 Rugers, never had a bad shooter!

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
My son has Ruger American compact and it’s a shooter. It handles well and he’s already killed 8 deer with it. I don’t have any experience with the Mossberg.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buy the Ruger.

I'm not a fan of any of the 'Bic' rifles, but you can only polish a turd so much.....and Mossbergs a turd.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
FINALLY got to play with a Mossberg Patriot. Handled a few in the LGS's but that's it. A friend of my son bought his wife a scoped/combo youth model in .243Win. She is a work away RN who is home only twice a month so the only time to get this set up for season was on the afternoon of day they called me. With any firearm whether new or used I like to spend as much time giving it a going over until I feel it's good to go before shooting it. Couldn't happen this time. I didn't remove the bbl'd action from the stock. Ran a bore snake through it. Got the chamber dry. Lubed behind the locking lugs and in the cocking cam slot. Didn't seem to be an excessive amount of oil in the action but I did wipe down what I saw. Checked the action screws. Checked for fore arm pressure on the bbl and found it not only to be free floated but centered in the bbl channel. Scope was canted a bit and the knurled knobs that hold the rings to the bases weren't tight enough. I removed the scoped rings and found the bases tight (guessing they were loc-tited). Leveled the 3-9x40 scope (didn't think to check the brand) and adjusted it for optimum eye relief after setting the focus for her. Although I didn't measure the LOP of the stock I'd say was in the 12 or 12.5 " range. Bore sighted it. ~45 minutes later after having them standing around watching me I felt it was ready to go. LUCKILY my wife kept them occupied talking. The ammo was Federal Blue box 100gr SP's. I had her dry fire it few times to feel the trigger. NICE at maybe 3.5lbs. I've got an old Outter's Varmint Rest mounted on an old 450 dozer cage. Pretty stable. First shot was ~2" low but dead center for windage at 25yds. Gave the scope 32 clicks up which put her second shot ~.75" low and still dead center on windage. First shot at 100yds was almost dead center inside the 1.5" circle. Four more shots were all within the 3" diameter circle that surrounded the center one. She did GOOD for someone with very limited shooting experience. Just goes to show what a shooter can do with a rifle that fits,has a decent trigger,and doesn't wallop them at the butt end. As for that particular Patriot you can color me impressed. In fact if it's okay with my granddaughter I'll order her one except without a scope as I have one for it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sako76
I own 5 Rugers, never had a bad shooter!
Buy a lottery ticket.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger has always made good rifles,pistols and in the past some very fine O/U shotguns. Rugers do hold their value or go up in value too.Ruger`s old red pad rifles have become very collective in value too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No dog in this fight. Here's a comparison of some budget rifles that may, or may not influence your choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
743 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.