Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We had a birthday party tonight for grandson Gilbert. Lots of people, we kept our dog Lilly on a leash.

How does your dog take to strange people?

He is the MOST social GSD in the world....he's good with almost everyone. If he shows signs of not liking them I trust him implicitly and stay the hell away from them.

[Linked Image]

Posted before.

We had a Jack Russel mix, great dog, she was friendly with all, almost.

Guy came to our door one day, I invited him in, we had a bit of business.
He was standing in the door, as Casey came in the other side of the small kitchen (trailer).
She saw him, stopped dead, dropped almost flat, and started snarling.
Never saw that from her before.
We thought it was peculiar, and wondered what was wrong with her.

A few months later, that guy was charged with molesting young girls.
Then, he burned his ex-wife's trailer down, with her in it. So she couldnt
testify against him.

20 years later, if my dog don't trust you, I never will.

Current king of the house is a Boxer, Dillon Buck.
Typically, he is aloof with strangers.
Not friendly, not unfriendly.
Just watching them and assessing.
As soon as we are friendly with them, he loves them too.

Have had two people come here that he didn't like.
One an insurance adjuster, he bristled up, and stayed between the guy and my wife.
We looked at each other, and him, and kind of nodded.
Don't know what was wrong, but I believe something was.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did somebody fart ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bella, our 3 legged, 11yr old shepherd collie X is an amazing watch dog.

Has hated our neighbour, for the last 10 years. I trust her judgement implicitly !

Sophie, 1&1/2 yr old 110lb great dane rhodesian ridgeback X has learnt from the best. When the "ridge" is up & she's barking at you, you better make the right choice.

[Linked Image]

Don't go near Momma;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve got a pit. She is the bell of the ball every time we have people over. We had about 40 people at the house this past Saturday for a baby shower. She was in heaven and got lots of attention. No shortage of people to throw her ball for her.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My yellow Lab weighs a solid 105 lbs. When we have guests he is very calm, lays on his rug, and bothers no one. If anyone acts the least bit aggressive he will become very protective in a split second. He even growls at the "bad guys" on the TV. He is the same with other dogs, friendly and playful unless the other dog is aggressive.

I have seen the same traits in other Labs, very friendly until threatened and they can do some damage when necessary.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My dogs Tink and Grizz are barkers before i tell them to stop.

Now days with my Son's 3 month shepards and their 2 smaller dogs,even the Fed-ex guy will not get out of his truck.

The big dogs are 3 months and a year old,puppies.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mine's a English Springer Spaniel now about 9.5 years old. Rescued her at 2.5 ,I live in the country with no nearby kids ,I tell adults to leave her alone and don't try to be her friend. When Miss Ruby decides she wants to be your friend she will tell you so. I don't know, guess like a lot of other females she is a might narrow tween the eyes. She picks her own friends, just that damn simple. She 's in the house at night and nothing moves that she doesn't know about, that's handy for a guy as hard of hearing as I am. Great bird dog and retrieves waterfowl, it will be hard to lose her when her time is up. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 08/27/19.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't had a Jehovah's Witness or anyone else exit their vehicle since my boys were 8 months old or so. Their mom is a Bel Malinois and their dad a Bernese MTN dog. They aren't vicious but look intimidating.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lotta barking if a vehicle stops on the road.
Even more if someone approaches the house. That barking will continue until my wife or myself greets the person.
Then, the unlucky visitor will get a thorough sniffing inspection by both heelers noses.

Out and about town is a different story - they evaluate each stranger as a potential source of a treat or cookie. They smile and work the cute dog angle are successful more often than I'd have ever thought.

One time, my wife went out to sign for a UPS package and the older heeler climbed into the brown truck to inspect the contents.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 GSD's...one a working line dog, and one is a mix of show and working line ancestry. The working line dog is relatively quiet, but a very serious dog. The other dog is a territorial barker and looks at you like you owe him money. Both need to be "released" by a household member with the secret word to let them relax. I get a lot of customer traffic and everyone respects the dogs for what they are. When the neighbor has one of his car racing buddies over, they both bark initially and than watch the activity. I sleep well.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
My yellow Lab weighs a solid 105 lbs. When we have guests he is very calm, lays on his rug, and bothers no one. If anyone acts the least bit aggressive he will become very protective in a split second. He even growls at the "bad guys" on the TV. He is the same with other dogs, friendly and playful unless the other dog is aggressive.

I have seen the same traits in other Labs, very friendly until threatened and they can do some damage when necessary.

My first Lab was friendly, but he was all business,...very protective of me when I was a teen. I didn't raise that dog. He just showed up one day and stuck around. He was past his prime when I got him. Extremely intelligent dog.

The one I got now I raised from a pup. He's had an easy life. I don't think he has any aggression in him. But he's never needed to. He's very bright and has always been very rough and tumble when interacting with other dogs. But it's always just been play with him.

My former neighbor had a well bred Malinois that had the potential to be a serious protection dog. It weighed about the same as my Lab and also liked to play rough. They would toss each other around pretty good. But neither one of them ever sshowed any aggression towards each other.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine seem to have an uncanny knack for figuring out who's who.

KYHillChick is a massage therapist and does her work out of the house. Jaydog treats her clients like they are family. The Pizza Dude gets extra barks, because Jay knows there's food, but the tail wags. Anyone else gets barks and snarls until we tell him they're cool. I always use the word "Cool," My dogs have all understood "Cool." I should probably switch that to "Groovy" with the next dog so there's no mistakes.

With the whole long line of dogs we've had, they've all seemed good at figuring out who the good guys are. There have been a few slip-ups over the years, but no blood was ever drawn.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Ain’t got no damn dog!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have two dogs, one that we were told was a first generation Labradoodle. Good dog, but he's 10 now and stubborn as hell, and loves to bark. The Golden Retriever we have, is 3 and hardly ever barks. He is however a poop eater. Both of them will let bark like crazy if someone comes to the door. I think if someone decided to rob us, the dogs would bark and growl like crazy, and then show the robbers where all of our valuables are throughout the house.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.