Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Looking for some advise to confirm it won't damage my L3901 Kubota tractor running a heavy 6' disc.

Best I can tell by using Kubotas land pride web site for matching a disc to my tractor and guesstimated weight of my old rusty disc. I think It will be alright. I'm only planting up about a acre or less of land. The specs in the manual show it lifting more than my disc weighs if I'm interpreting it right.

Thanks for any help!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I used a bigger disc on my JD 3039r and it's effectively the same size tractor as your Kubota. No problems at all. Zilch.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m thinking if it’s too big you’ll just break traction. Don’t let it hop and you’ll be fine.

Thanks for the response. I should have been more clear. I'm more worried about the hydraulics from lifting it up. That it may damage the hydraulic system. I'll disc while in 4WD.

You won't hurt it lifting, if it's to heavy the tractor will hit the bypass and just squeal a little and you'll know you went over it's designed capacity.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I imagine it would be a good idea to lift a 3-point disk off the ground when turning(sharp)?

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I imagine it would be a good idea to lift a 3-point disk off the ground when turning(sharp)?

That's how I did it with my Massey I traded in on the Kubota.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It should work fine. That’s not a very heavy disk, your tractor should pick it up fine. Always raise a 3 pt hitch disk when you turn.

IC B2

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the explanations on how the hydraulics work. The reason for my fears was the 3 point lift acted not quit right on my last tractor a Massey 2605 4WD. I always wondered if I damaged it with too much weight.

"It probably won't break it,...but it might get it dirty."

"That's a damn nice tractor, by the way. I'd feel better if you'd get it dirty."

I've mowed twice with it now. I just blew all the grass and dirt off with a blower. I do the same thing to my Hustler ZTM when I finish. Before I had a blower I used a broom to clean off my equipment.

I wish I would have bought a blower years ago now. So many things I can use it for. It makes sweeping off the equipment. porches, my garage and work areas a breeze.

Last edited by 1911a1; 08/29/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
I pulled a 6 1/2 ' disk harrow that weighed over 700 pounds with a 35HP at PTO tractor no problem.Do your self a favor and buy yourself a 3 point PTO 6 foot rototiller.It will do the same work in 1/4 the time.

Tillers are great if the land has already been broken.

The disc can work most anything you can drive over, and will chop weeds instead of wrapping them around a shaft.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Snyper
I pulled a 6 1/2 ' disk harrow that weighed over 700 pounds with a 35HP at PTO tractor no problem.Do your self a favor and buy yourself a 3 point PTO 6 foot rototiller.It will do the same work in 1/4 the time.

Tillers are great if the land has already been broken.

The disc can work most anything you can drive over, and will chop weeds instead of wrapping them around a shaft.

Tillers also have a very short life span in rocky soil.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

There's a place for both. If I had to have one or the other, it would be the rototiller. I have both plus a plow that I use for foodplots, use the rototiller about 10 to 1 for about everything. Been running it in somewhat rocky soil here in Ky for about 15 years, haven't broke anything yet.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
It should work fine. That’s not a very heavy disk, your tractor should pick it up fine. Always raise a 3 pt hitch disk when you turn.

For it's size, I'd say it looks quite heavy.

Measure the 3 point lift pins for height off the ground on that disc then check your arms to make sure they lift high enough to pick it up off the ground.

I run a heavier 3 point disc like his on a tractor that's a little too small for it (30 HP) and it's close to not being able to lift high enough to carry the disc.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I run a heavier 3 point disc like his on a tractor that's a little too small for it (30 HP) and it's close to not being able to lift high enough to carry the disc.

I'd suggest hauling that disc 20 miles SW of you and dropping it off there before you wreck your tractor.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You know what Larry says, "GIT ER DONE".

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hooked the disc up and done the green patch behind the house. No problems, I also used the FEL to help me clear a 24" dia. dead pine of the trail in my woods.
Thanks to all for the advise.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1911a1; 09/07/19.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Looking good

Something clever here.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Slumlord, I saved that "panty liner" that was stuck to the tire for you. I'll express mail it to you if you'd like to "lip curl" check it, Heh Heh!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Okay, Point 1: Hydraulic lift systems have high pressure bypass valves built into them. The bypass valve will not the let the tractor lift anything heavy enough to break the lift mechanism.

Point two: lifting 1200 pounds centered 12 inches behind the rear tires is not the same as lifting 1200 pounds centered 36 inches behind the rear tires.

Point three: A disc is fairly heavy and the weight is far behind the drive axle. When lifted into transport mode. It can, in some cases, cause the steer tires to lift and float. It looks like your tractor is equipped with a front end loader. That should be enough weight to keep the front end on the ground. If it wants to float, put some rock or sand in the bucket.

Point four:Tractors have, since 1960 anyway, a traction/lift control adjustment. As the tractor senses increased work load on the lift arms, it will add pressure to the hydraulic lift mechanism which has the dual effect of transferring weight to the drive axle which increases traction, and also lifts the implement out of the ground which decreases load.

Learn where this adjustment is on your tractor and tune it to balance the amount of work/pull against the amount of lift relief. That is what it is there for.

Set it to light and your implement will just scratch the surface. Set it to heavy, and the tractor will bury the disc in soft ground and spin out.

Also, find out if your tractor has a differential lock. Step on the diff lock and lock the two rear wheels together if one tire starts to spin.

I was about to post what Shooter posted when I ran onto his post.

I pull a 6 1/2' angle disc behind my little 30HP Nortrack/Jinma tractor. I always use 4WD and put some up-lift on the 3-point, so I don't bury the disc. Experiment with the draft adjustment to determine how far down you want to set the implement, then set the lever adjustment.

If my little ChinkTractor will pull my disc your far superior tractor will pull your disc with ease.

I wish I had your small tractor, and you had a better one. cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pull a 10 foot wheel disc, a Bush Hog brand, behind a 45 HP New Holland TC45A. Use it to disc the garden, not running it down to the axles, but the tractor handles it okay. How one of these compact tractors will do what you wan it to has more to do with the tractor weight and the traction it's getting than the HP. Mine has the industrial type tires instead of the agricultural, which I would prefer, but I have fluid in the rears which really helps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.