Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I posted this in the General Big Game forum, but thought I'd leave it here also. I'm a Northeast deer hunter and haven't updated my hunting gear in over 20 years. Now that I'm retired and planning on a western hunt as an annual fall tradition, I think it's time to upgrade to some of the newer, lighter technologies. I've been intrigued by what I see of the Pnuma outerwear. Specifically, the Selkirk All Weather jacket/pants, the Tenacity Performance pants and the Gunnison Merino Wool hoodie for early season, with the addition of the Insulator jacket/ pants when the temps drop. My intention is to pack this in a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 day pack and change out or layer as weather conditions dictate. It's a bit spendy, but there is a lifetime guarantee, and I don't mind paying extra if the quality is there.

I'm looking for comments from anyone with personal experience and opinions, good or bad, they would care to share on this gear.

Please, though I'm sure well intentioned, I'm not looking to hear about all the other brands and alternatives that are available. Right now, I'm just looking for input on this manufacturer. Thanks.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The Pnuma clothing line as been on my radar for awhile. I have sent them two Emails asking for info and have not received any response in almost two months.I ended up getting two pair of Kryptek pants. I like the Pmuna waypoints and will probably get a pair one of these days real soon. But unfortunately their CS is not very good.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blumtn, that's odd. When I have emailed them I have gotten a response or a call next business day. Always had great service

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blumtn, that's odd. When I have emailed them I have gotten a response or a call next business day. Always had great service

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I posted this in the General Big Game forum, but thought I'd leave it here also. I'm a Northeast deer hunter and haven't updated my hunting gear in over 20 years. Now that I'm retired and planning on a western hunt as an annual fall tradition, I think it's time to upgrade to some of the newer, lighter technologies.

eaglemountain, I was not familiar with Pnuma so I went on their website to check it out. No offense intended but their website and descriptions of their gear seem designed to catch the attention of folks who haven't been on a lot of "western hunts" and don't quite know what they need, rather than those who have and know what they need. And possibly aging baby boomers with aches and pains and lots of disposable income. Might be a brilliant marketing strategy but I found some of their claims to lack credibility, like this one:

"If you are a hunter and outdoorsman looking to enhance performance or seeking a natural way to relieve pain, L-AV8 technology is known to help deliver extraordinary performance by means of electromagnetic infusion. The benefits of L-AV8 have been experienced by people from all walks of life and lifestyles. L-AV8 IE Technology unlocks eight core benefits – Increased Strength, Improved Hydration, Better Sleep, Greater Flexibility, Reduced Surface Inflammation, More Energy, Faster Recovery, and Increased Endurance."

All of this from a base layer??? Sorry but my bullsh** detector pegged out on this one. Another base layer had "seven performance zones to support key muscle groups to keep your body performing at its peak." Color me skeptical. The fact is, quality gear sells itself, and doesn't require fantastic claims to do so.

And their "lifetime guarantee" would not be a selling point for me. I read it, in my opinion it has so many caveats and outs that if they don't want to honor it they don't have to. Looks like it was written by a lawyer.

You said you didn't want to hear about other brands so I won't mention any. But IMO you'd be better off elsewhere.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wouldn't put too much weight on the sales talk. They are a fairly new company in a crowded field and selling to the expanding pain demographic may mean selling a few more jackets...:) Considering the length of the current economic expansion, a new company needs to move enough product to gain ground in name recognition prior to any contraction.

The actual performance claims they made however, drew my attention. Waterproof, windproof on the Selkirk.

A friend in Wyoming told me he was sold on the Selkirk, so am going to give it a go this year for CO and for the UP. Talking to them, CS provided me with more detail than requested the following day.

The 33oz weight was a bit of an obstacle next to Kuiu or Sitka. I always carry a rain jacket in my pack as routine for intermittent rain/snow crap, and will leave that back at camp, so weight-wise will save some ounces.

Usually do a 2XL on an outer, so that I can get an insulation layer under it when needed and still shoulder the rifle without the jacket binding. That is the case with this Selkirk.

fwiw

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tomk
I wouldn't put too much weight on the sales talk.

I would. I don't want to spend my money with a company that has to make fantastic, BS claims about what their product will do in order to sell it. I prefer to purchase gear that works as described.

And I wouldn't consider the BS on their website "sales talk." It's just BS, plain and simple. If I thought I could get "Increased Strength, Improved Hydration, Better Sleep, Greater Flexibility, Reduced Surface Inflammation, More Energy, Faster Recovery, and Increased Endurance" from a base layer I'd be all over it. But it's just a BS advertising campaign marketed to a specific demographic and subjective enough that it can't be proven to be the BS that it is.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sales talk is the non-public marketing term for bullchit, Smoke.

Heath demographic appeal is nothing new, though a little disconcerting to see it applied to hunting gear. Consider Geritol 1959... was wondering why my ma didn't put it on my cereal--seemed to me it was the ticket for getting a sleepy kindergartner out of bed--all that yelling could be avoided. Dad told me it was bullchit, but I didn't believe him. Early signs of possible drug dependency?

I imagine after reading a few web comments, they may smarten up and re-bait with something more palatable.

Defend the Constitution

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,262
Posts18,448,206
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.