Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Greetings,

A little background. 51 years old and finally drew a Mountain Goat tag here in my home state of Idaho. Love to hunt, really I am not a multi state hardcore trophy hunter. With that said, I want to be properly equipped for this hunt, and any other hunts I, or my family may draw in the future. I’m torn between maximum capabilities vs. size and what is really useable.

With that in mind, wondering if anyone has experience to speak to what I might be gaining or giving up with the four options I’m looking at:

All options will be housed in the STS or ATS model (would love your opinions on angled vs. straight as well)

The options are 20x60x80mm, 25x50Wx80mm, 20x60x65mm and 25x50Wx65mm.

I thought I had settled on a 20x60x80mm, but now wondering if I could get close to the same light gathering capabilities if I were to purchase the 65mm with a 25-50xW.

Big purchase...probably over thinking it.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No comparison IMO that the 25-50W is THE eyepiece to have regardless the body you choose. I believe Leica offers a wide-angle eyepiece as well. Not sure about Zeiss.

Last edited by horse1; 08/29/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I agree with the 25-50 eyepiece, it's what I have on my STS 65MM scope. I have also had the 80MM version and like that scope a lot, and it's not really that much heavier/longer than the 65MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JMHO here . . . I debated at length about whether to go angled or straight on my spotter. In the end I followed the recommendation of many and went with the angled. I've never regretted it.

Can't quote the source, but I do recall reading that the Swaro ATX/STX w/65mm Obj and ATS/STS 80 have very similar light gathering and light transmission capabilities/values. I mention this only because you reference a goat hunt and the ATX/STX system can be broken down into 'smaller packages' for packing. Yes, the ATX/STX system is more money than the ATS/STS, but in that extra cost are advantages, including modularity. My guess is that moving forward, Swaro will focus its efforts toward modular upgrades, and the ATS/STS will be phased out. Swaro already introduced and is shipping the BTX (bino) module for the modular spotter as well as a magnification enhancer.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would look for a used Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss spotter and get whichever 15-45 with the angled eyepiece you could find the cheapest. The angle eyepiece is a better all round configuration, but like mirrors when you are backing up, it takes time to learn how to use it.

The smaller scopes will not be 20-60 even though the eyepiece says so, they are 15-45. Which one you end up with won't disappoint you. Don't be fooled by the "almost as good as" brands, when you are done, if you don't want to keep the scope you can always sell it.

There is a reason that the Alpha glass costs more and it isn't just the optical quality, there is construction and warranty that they still provide that others don't.

I am a fan of Swarovski, but my spotter is a Leica 15-45 APO that I got here on the campfire for almost half of what it would cost new and dollar for dollar, you won't get a $1200.00 "Almost as good as" scope that will compare...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put fixed 30x Vortex gen1 eyepieces on mine. Have both mil ranging reticle and plain.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be our pleasure to assist you with this and discuss what would be best for your usage
Doug
516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hello,

For sure gr8fuldoug will assist you. Anyway, I have and have used a lot a Meopta Meostar S1 APO 75 angled (I agree with shrapnel it is the best configuration to me) Spotting Scope. I have both the 20-60 X and the great 30X Wide Angle eyepieces. It is an ALPHA S. Scope! Better than many costing almost double. As usual in the top of the line Meopta optics...

Best!

PH

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Guess I am from the OLD school, I would never consider an angled spotting scope, to me it is counter intuitive......if you are using an angled spotter, why don’t you have the same on your rifle ❓❓❓❓Looking a different direction than you are shooting ❓❓❓
The closest I have come to changing my mind is the BTX, if they made one in a straight, I would buy one NOW ‼️

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Agreed on the straight scope for your reasons and it is also much easier on my neck which has issues with my head down for prolonged periods of time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jeezus..... rotate the frigging thing till you are looking thru it level.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Huntsman,

Do you suppose this separates the users from the non users? I would love to see how they back up using mirrors...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nowadays the Meopta S2 is my preference. Compared it to most everything except the new swaro modular $4k system......

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Huntsman,

Do you suppose this separates the users from the non users? I would love to see how they back up using mirrors...

I too prefer straight to angled, but, I hunt in flat open country and the VAST majority of my spotter use is from a window mount. I do however understand the appeal of using an angled spotter and being able to keep your tripod shorter and therefore more stable on a tripod, especially if one has to glass up from the bottom of a hill/river-bed/valley, etc.

Anymore, if I use a spotter @ the range or on a tripod, more often than not, I've got a Phone Skope attached and view on my phone's screen.

Last edited by horse1; 08/30/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had the STS for a while and just recently traded for an ATS. It does take a few minutes to learn how to get on target with the ATS but it’s far and away more comfortable to glass with. Also when using a Phoneskope setup the angled holds the phone better and is easier to use than the STS. A used Swarovski is what I’d recommend you look for. Just make sure the seller calls in and clears the serial number and you can register it in your name.

For those of you with the 25-50W. Is it that much better than the 20-60 eye piece? I’ve never used one but have been considering it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I like the straight spotters, easier for me to get onto the area I want to see, and better from a window mount. Will you be spotting from a position near the truck, or will it go on long hikes, potentially? Remember that a heavy, 4 lb. spotting scope needs a 4+ pound tripod and head to stabilize it, making for a heavy setup in/on your backpack. Ask Doug about the Kowa 15-45x55 which with a light tripod will save about 5 pounds while being excellent optically.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
805 I've had both eyepieces and much prefer the 25-50

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For years I used Straight spotters, 10 years back I went from a Swarovski 65m STM to a Swarovski ATS in 65m and like the Angled ATS much better!

Ted
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Zeiss doesn't even make their new Harpia in a straight eye piece, when asked about it they stated that like 90+% of the scopes they sell are angled, why mess with straight-

I bought a ATX with a 95mm lens last week. I compared it side-by-side to two other spotters. One, a 65mm ATX was very good to about 20-30X, after that, it was no comparison to the 95. The 95 was sharp all the way to 70X.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
R
First of all, congratulations on getting a goat tag! I am also an Idaho resident and native and hope to one day chase them as well.

You mentioned a few things in your post and wanted to dive into it just a bit and give you my opinion.

(Angle vs. Straight) I typically run the straight spotting scopes, it is just my preference. I use my spotting scope in my pack as well as from a truck depending on the hunt so with a straight, i can use a window mount easily as well as a straight fits in the sleeve pockets of my pack as well. I want to note that i also have a full size tripod so that i can stand and use my spotter comfortably as a 6' tall guy. Angle spotters are great too. I have seen guys looking down for long periods behind glass and i can imagine it would irritate your neck after a while but im sure there are ways to prevent that.

(20-60 vs wide angle options) I think this has a lot to do with the way you hunt and the way you plan to use your gear. for me, I am a western hunter that can be in sage brush rolling hills glassing for miles or i can be in the back country and only looking 5-700yds across a ridge so because of the wide range i hunt i prefer the 20x70x82 offered by Meopta. i can use the minimum 20x for closer range or scanning and then i can zoom to 70 when really looking at detail or looking a long distance.

(65mm vs 82mm) the same thing as above, it depends on how you want to use your gear. I think a 65mm hd glass is going to be a good option for shorter range, medium light glassing. where you will see big gains with an 85/82mm is when looking long distance, low light, or even shorter distance with a greater field of view. again, i prefer the 82mm option for most everything. that said, if money was no object i would have a pack spotter and a truck spotter and that way i can reduce weight and size for when i take it into the back country. if you are like me, i dont have that kind of money laying around.

lastly, i wanted to talk brand choice. someone choosing between swaro's already knows they are going to spend the money to get top tier glass and wants the best out there. there are a few options from different companies that would save you some coin and preform the same. I have nothing bad to say about swarovski, infact, i think they are the bar at which all others are judged. that said, i think you should take a look at the Meopta Meostar 20x70x82mm. The glass is really really impressive HD glass. comparing them side by side i would be surprised if you can tell any difference as they are both at the top of the food chain when it comes to glass. not only that but you save some money and get a good warranty with Meopta. Meopta isn't as well known when you ask the average hunter because they are a European company slowly making its way into the forefront of the US market. Take a look and see what you think.

Have a great hunt and no matter what glass you choose, it will be a hunt you will never forget. I am not on here often so i hope i gave you some useful information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 16 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.