-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love diesel engines, but could not justify buying one. Too expensive nowadays and the EPA has strangled them. If I was buying one for commercial use and had to tow a lot, sure, then.

The gas truck motors have gotten a lot of development the last 15 years, eroding unloaded fuel economy advantage of diesels..

One thing you'll never see me buy is a turbo gas engine in a truck.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Our 2011 6.7 Powerstroke gets 10-11 mpg, pulling, empty, loaded, whatever.

I didn't trust the computer but it's right.

And it will run hot when the turbo gets to rolling.

A dude is gonna get rid of all the emissions chit and run a straight pipe on. Parts were ordered a couple weeks ago and I need to call him.

All low speed, low gear grunting, work, I presume?

I have an '11 w 3.73 rear. Pull g a trailer and GVW of 22K, I get at least 13 on a round trip.

Please update when you get the work done.

No, 10-11mpg is tops, down a nice flat highway at 70mph empty....

It gets around 5-6mpg chugging around mixed road/off road.

My 6.0 is running like a fuuckin' top. 156k miles and takes off and goes like new.

Run the lightweight oil in the diesel pickups said the Ford mechanic.

5w-40 or 10w-30.

If going new I'd go with the new big gas engine. Or if someone else is buying spend the extra $9k for the 6.7, say screw the warranty and modify it right off the bat.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Little small town Ford dealer I’ve been dealing with the last couple weeks buying a truck told me that in his opinion, the 7.3 is probably going to be a bull strong and long lasting working type motor but he’s guessing it’ll see 8mpg or thereabouts. I quizzed him about the MPG estimate and he explained that his family has owned this dealership for 70 years and nothing they’ve ever sold has routinely gotten the average MPG that Ford claims, 4 cylinders, Ecoboosts, diesels, V6s, V8s, none of them. I’m thinking he’s probably just being honest and rational about the whole thing, and he has a much wider experience than I do.

He did say he was excited for them to debut because he was going to sell a pile of them to farmers and oilfield companies. He said that in the last 5 years he’s seen a big shift by his longtime customers who buy 1 ton work and feed trucks back to gas. And he absolutely loves the 6.2, says it’s about the least troublesome current production engine in Ford’s lineup. Says the farmers buy the heck out of them because they are $10k less than the diesel, less maintenance, more reliable, and they beat the pickup to death before the motor has a chance to be worn out. Makes sense to me when you look at it that way.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jfruser
I love diesel engines, but could not justify buying one. Too expensive nowadays and the EPA has strangled them. If I was buying one for commercial use and had to tow a lot, sure, then.

The gas truck motors have gotten a lot of development the last 15 years, eroding unloaded fuel economy advantage of diesels..

One thing you'll never see me buy is a turbo gas engine in a truck.

I'll never buy another truck that isn't turbocharged. Whats not to like about 20-24 mph highway, ability to tow 10K and quiet and very peppy... I love my Ecoboost

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The cool thing about this new engine is that it is putting out over 400 lb ft of torque starting at 1500 rpm. The peak torque (475) comes around 4000 rpm, and I was a little concerned when I saw that. The old IH gassers had peak torque around 2800 rpm. I figured you’d have to rev the heck out of the new 7.3 to get things done, but a look at the torque curve shows it to be pretty flat from 1500 rpm all the way past 4000rpm.

No, this won’t compare to a newer diesel, but it ought to pull like an old 5.9 or 7.3 diesel would...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. 400+ from 1500 on is pretty damn impressive. 475 ftlb’s is more than a lot of diesels from not too long ago.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/96specs.html

https://jalopnik.com/why-the-ford-super-duty-s-7-3-liter-v8-makes-only-430-h-1836880836

Compare the torque curves in these two stories. Note that the Dodge curve has lb ft on the RIGHT.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
Little small town Ford dealer I’ve been dealing with the last couple weeks buying a truck told me that in his opinion, the 7.3 is probably going to be a bull strong and long lasting working type motor but he’s guessing it’ll see 8mpg or thereabouts. I quizzed him about the MPG estimate and he explained that his family has owned this dealership for 70 years and nothing they’ve ever sold has routinely gotten the average MPG that Ford claims, 4 cylinders, Ecoboosts, diesels, V6s, V8s, none of them. I’m thinking he’s probably just being honest and rational about the whole thing, and he has a much wider experience than I do.

He did say he was excited for them to debut because he was going to sell a pile of them to farmers and oilfield companies. He said that in the last 5 years he’s seen a big shift by his longtime customers who buy 1 ton work and feed trucks back to gas. And he absolutely loves the 6.2, says it’s about the least troublesome current production engine in Ford’s lineup. Says the farmers buy the heck out of them because they are $10k less than the diesel, less maintenance, more reliable, and they beat the pickup to death before the motor has a chance to be worn out. Makes sense to me when you look at it that way.

I suspect your dealer is wrong about the MPG of the 7.3. I own a 6.2 with 4:30 gears and average 13 in town and 15 on a trip. The new 7.3 offers a slight increase in power but also comes with 4 more gears in the transmission. My gut tell me it will be at least as good as the 6.2 and most likely better by 1 or 2 mpg.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by TheKid

I suspect your dealer is wrong about the MPG of the 7.3. I own a 6.2 with 4:30 gears and average 13 in town and 15 on a trip. The new 7.3 offers a slight increase in power but also comes with 4 more gears in the transmission. My gut tell me it will be at least as good as the 6.2 and most likely better by 1 or 2 mpg.

Those vehicles with a mileage rating on the sticker will absolutely get that mileage on avg.

Trucks over 8500 GVW are not required to have the mileage ratings on the sticker. Nor does the auto maker advertise any type of mileage estimates on them

Mileage estimates don't come from the manufacturer. They come from the beloved EPA...

EPA mileage ratings are a very broad comparison.

You get into pickups, it ALL depends on weight, rear end gearing, and fuel used, as well as altitude, terrain and many other factors.

Had a 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge V10 geared 4:11 that would get close to 15 on the highway. I doubt the new 7.3 gasser will get 8mpg. It should do better.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Yep. 400+ from 1500 on is pretty damn impressive. 475 ftlb’s is more than a lot of diesels from not too long ago.

I dont see the torque curve.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I dont see the torque curve.

Scroll down to almost the end of that Jalopnik story. You should find it there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I'll never buy another truck that isn't turbocharged. Whats not to like about 20-24 mph highway, ability to tow 10K and quiet and very peppy... I love my Ecoboost

Longevity. See below

Originally Posted by jalopnik
David called Dr. Andy Randolph of ECR Engines (you’ll remember him as a NASCAR engine expert), who pretty much agreed with our guesses.

“With average lighter load as far as what the engine could potentially do, temperatures go down, pressures go down, wear of all the components go down,” he said. “When you boost an engine, you’re increasing the internal pressures and temperatures... you’re working the engine really hard.”

I like to keep my autos a long while. Turbo+Diesel has a long track record of longevity. Turbo+Gasoline, not so much.

If Turbo+Deisel is not on the menu because I can't afford it, I'll go for increased displacement before hooking up a turbo to a gasser.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Longevity. See below

David called Dr. Andy Randolph of ECR Engines (you’ll remember him as a NASCAR engine expert), who pretty much agreed with our guesses.

“With average lighter load as far as what the engine could potentially do, temperatures go down, pressures go down, wear of all the components go down,” he said. “When you boost an engine, you’re increasing the internal pressures and temperatures... you’re working the engine really hard.”

I like to keep my autos a long while. Turbo+Diesel has a long track record of longevity. Turbo+Gasoline, not so much.

If Turbo+Deisel is not on the menu because I can't afford it, I'll go for increased displacement before hooking up a turbo to a gasser.

I think one of the biggest problems turbo + gasoline has is people who don't let them warm up or cool down. A goodly share of the folks who buy a diesel understand the warm-up/cool-down. People who've driven gassers forever just jump in, mash the gas and shut down when the shifter hits "P". Turbos should have the engine @ full operating temp before running peak boost. Turbos no matter what the fuel need some idle time to cool down as well. Current and previous diesel pickups, on road-trips I don't shut down to fill fuel, especially if I've been towing anything. I don't have Pyro/EGT gauges so I just let it idle a bit when I get where I'm going.

The auto-stop/shut down when the pickup is at a stop feature can't be good for turbos. I have no problem with one or the other features on their own. I'd never own them together.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

My little 7 liter Windsor did pretty well.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Longevity. See below

My buddy buys 2 or 3 new Ecoboosts every year. He has been buying F550s with 6.7s up until this year too. He trades his 3.5s off at 200K. Never had a single problem. The F550s go through at least one turbo a year though. They just aren't getting enough oil or something. He is going to all gas engines in his fleet. I don't blame him.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 08/29/19.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I was a ford man all my life and became very disappointed in fords drive trains got real sick of replacing transmissions. I switched to GMC and I don't think I'll be switching back anytime soon.

Hopefully Ford can build a reliable drive train again.

12344mmag Glad You are happy with your GM product. I bought one of their early attempts at Diesel ( gas to diesel) and 4 engines and 60K later I switched to a gas engine to get some miles
on the frame. GM give me $1800 and wished me luck. I have never bought or rented a GM product since and will not in the future. I wish you luck. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
GMC Typhoon

Who gives a schit about longevity?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm into basics. 2005 long bed F-150, Essex 4.2 liter V6, 5 speed stick. They run a lot better than you would expect and are widely considered to be the best F-150 motor Ford ever built. I've had two of them.

That’s what I have in my truck. An ‘07 longbed single cab stick. 175,000 miles and never been to a mechanic. Doesn’t pull much though. I pull my aluminum bay boat to the lake 10 minutes away, but that’s about all she’s good for as far as pulling. She’s a pig in the mud too but she’s lasted this long and has gotten the job done. Some day I hope to have a good enough excuse to buy a super duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

My little 7 liter Windsor did pretty well.

[Linked Image]

Ya but will it last 300,000 miles pulling 10,000 lbs?

The new 7.3 has a steel crank, oil cooled pistons and 4 bolt mains with extra crossbolts........

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Link did not work....but a big gas engine is what the pickup world needs again.

Still bloody cheaper than a diesel!

7.3 Good
Diesel Good

7.3 Diesel......way good

That was a good engine. I have an IDI Turbo 7.3

My buddy has a Powerstroke. It works real well for him. When all the oil leaks out...it quits.

He has never been able to run it out of oil!

Too funny. I have an international 4700 with a navstar 7.3.
I keep two gallon jugs of rotella behind the seat. If it starts starting hard, it's time to add oil. Has 490,000 on it now. I've had 4 injectors replaced, other than that it runs like a scalded dog. Looks like [bleep] though!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,042
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.