Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have several 6x and 10x. I have a 10x on my 6.5 grendel ar. It shoots extremely well with 123 amazes. It has a 18" BHW 8 twist.

I took it hunting a few years ago and while trying to get on some running deer early in the morning made me wish I had a 6x on. I think the 6x is far better when light is less than ideal. My grendel frequently shoots 1/4 moa groups so I've been reluctant to mess with it.

I think that from here on out if the rifle is primarily for big game and I want to go fixed I'll go 6x. I still have 10x on things like my ctr 308 and others that are mostly range rigs or small game.

I much prefer the glass on the 3-9 SS to any of the fixed.
A few years ago when I was trying to find an OEM manufacturer in Japan to build a fixed 8 for me I discovered that there are 2 different OEM manufacturers in Japan. Talking to them gave me the impression that each of them build some models of the SS. I believe the 3-9, which is my favorite, is built by Light Optical Works.

I had what I thought would be a great fixed 8 lined out with one of them. Problem was that after several thousand for a prototype they wanted a 500 piece per item initial order. Some guys have to have MOA instead of mil/mil so to do both was 1000 units. Could have ran 250k just for the first order.

I don't know why moa guys think they can't do mils. At least most manufacturers are no longer doing moa clicks with a mil retical. I guess being stuck running that crap back in the day made me not fear either. Seriously though, you guys that are scared of mil/mil are being completely irrational. In the end your still just turning the knob to a number and mils are better because thinking in 10s is intuitive.

My vote 6x for a big game gun, 10x for a range or varmint gun. At least until I get my 8x models built.

Bb

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Who makes this stock ?

It seems I got two of them in June 2018 off Ebay, which keeps no records that long.

But in my email they were called

Kiwi Composite Carbon Fiber Stock With Recoil Pad Remington 700 LA JUN15...
Total: $518.00

I can see I drilled out the G10 pillars and made my own Aluminum pillars and epoxyed them in.

The other one, still in the wrapper with G10 like pillars, weighs 22 ounces.

If I google the info I do have, and poke around, it looks like New Zealand

https://www.hardyrifle.co.nz/stocks

That $1199 NZ looks like $885 US

ClarkM ,
Thanks !
That grip looks good I haven't seen any like it in mcmillan/manners/etc. ,, had a hand/arm injury couple of years ago and my right wrist isn't quite as flexible . That steeper grip would help me out .

Kind of looks like an old 22 BR style grip like Suhl or Annie had in the 70s. I’ve shot a 30-378 with that same grip and it was McMillan. I’m fairly certain it was called a “Baker Classic” I looked at that stock and it didn’t look exactly the same but I had one on my hands and the palm swell and”lip” on the bottom are very similar. I remember a few companies in AUS and NZ had that style. I’m a tang rider and it fits me like a glove.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
If you can’t shoot a 10x at everything from 10 yards to 1000 yards...... then you should open the other eye. Learning to run an optic (or sights) with both eyes open is a paramount shooting skill.... but also somewhat of a lost art. Good cheekweld helps here too... but that’s also addressed very little anymore.

Seriously..... I ran a fixed 12x Leupold on a dedicated coyote rifle for about 10 years.... and killed 100’s of dogs wig it.... many at powder-burn range.

Yes

I like fixed 6s and 10s

I hate complicated all day every day

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
If you can’t shoot a 10x at everything from 10 yards to 1000 yards...... then you should open the other eye. Learning to run an optic (or sights) with both eyes open is a paramount shooting skill.... but also somewhat of a lost art. Good cheekweld helps here too... but that’s also addressed very little anymore.

Seriously..... I ran a fixed 12x Leupold on a dedicated coyote rifle for about 10 years.... and killed 100’s of dogs wig it.... many at powder-burn range.

Yes

I like fixed 6s and 10s

I hate complicated all day every day

Agreed.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.