Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Dre
You might need medium or high rings to clear with 50 mm.
For 22 it’s over kill.
I’d Return for for 3-9x 40 if you can

Or Even a 2-7 year freedom that’s made for rimfire where you’ll be able to use low rings

Or 4.5-14×40, if you want a bit more magnification.

Or a VX-2 4-12x40 A/O, if you can still find one. Four of my six 10/22s wear the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 A/O The other 2, sport 'vintage' Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 A/Os.

All of them are good scopes.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mebbe its older eyes, but I'm discovering the benefits of AO scopes Thy seem to focus sharper.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by carney
I seem to always purchase things without proper research. I recently purchased a Ruger 10-22 Lite. Today I bought a Leupold VX-1 3-9X50 scope for it. I am a novice and I am wondering if I bought a good combination. I plan to use it for squirrel hunting. Thank you in advance.

The tap holes on a Ruger 10/22 aluminum receiver are weak. Personally I have stripped out a few/and or bought guns where they were stripped. Easy enough to drill out to #8 and retap if you have the tools. That is my thought on a 50mm scope.

With that said, I used epoxy to mount a Picatinny rail on mine with #8 screws and then ran a Tasco Euroclass 3-12 x 52mm (mostly because it was the scope I had on the shelf at the time I glassed the Ruger). Too much scope, but who cares.

If you use Loc-Tite or epoxy to lock the threads or glue the base to the top of the receiver, it is a good idea to strip the receiver so that you don't glue the bolt to the receiver. Seems like a not so uncommon problem if the discussions on RFC are to believed.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I own several and for my use the Weaver 1x3 is perfect. For the range of the .22, I would never see a need for more than 4x. The gent with the 2.5's may actually have the perfect combination for reliability.

The older Nikon 1x4 African is actually my top pick, but the larger bell screws up mounting it low enough and clear the rear peep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carney - read what CashisKing says about the aluminium Ruger receiver up above. A good call out. It is super easy to strip the tapped receiver. I did on one hole. I just added a drop of epoxy and so far so good. The advice on the receiver buffer is another idea I took to heart. A very cheap - and I mean cheap- not optics section cheap! - 30 second upgrade. Mine runs flawlessly. If we really want a debate lets talk ammo. I over -read opinions on it and went with standard velocity CCI stuff and holy cow am I happy I did. I never thought a little semi auto 22 could be so spot on.

Keep us posted.

Enjoy

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I need to get this answer where I can cut and paste, because the question comes up fairly often:
My favorite .22 scope is Leupold 3-9 x 33 compact AO (or extended focus, or whatever they call it now.)
Higher power because you sometimes shoot at really small targets with a .22.
AO because parallax can be bad close in at higher powers.
Scope is appropriately small and light.

10/22 receivers:
Make sure your screws are as long as possible to engage as many threads as you can.
Torque spec is TWELVE 12 in. lb. with an ACCURATE torque wrench.
Loctite is your friend here.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trouble with being a novice is that you don't yet know what fits you, your hunting style and your preferences. Neither do we, grin but we can give our trial and error conclusions that fit each of us. After 60 years of shooting I prefer low mounted variable scopes with a low end of one power. I just ordered a 1-4x32 Bushnell that will go on my 10/22.

I only hunt grouse with my .22, usually aiming at head/neck with most shots between 5 and 25 yards, a lot about 10 yards. My use is different from squirrel hunting but FWIW: For the past three years I have kept track and most of my misses on grouse are closer than 6 yards and I really had trouble killing grouse inside of 3 yards. Parallax and the distance between bore and line of sight are my problems up close. The parallax problem increases with magnification and closer range, if I understand the experts. My parallax solution is one power. A low mount plus remembering to aim high on close shots counters the bore/sight difference at close range.

I've owned two 50 mm scopes, didn't like either of them due to scope height, and got rid of them. You may love 50mm. I have a one power red dot on my 10/22 that works well. I plan to move the red dot to a shotgun for deer hunting and go back to a 1-4 scope on the .22.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have old Redfield 3x9 accutrac scopes on mine. A little playing with the dial and I learned the correct amount of clicks to walk shots out to a couple of hundred yards. I like the Burris Signature Zee rings on my .22’s. The mediums will work with a 50 mm.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like bigger scopes my eyes are getting old ,i also have a Harris bi-pod on my squirrel gun. i head shoot all my squirrels

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.