Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
To kill grizzly and coastal brown bears reasonably quickly when shooting head-on into their thoracic cavities, what penetration in inches or a metric length is required to avoid running into serious "issues"? Does this depth of penetration remain constant for bow hunters' arrows? If firearms and arrows can do the job mentioned but require different penetration depths, which requires more depth? Why?

Last edited by Naphtali; 08/30/19.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
All the penetration one can get.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Id' never shoot head on into a bears thoracic cavity unless it was a charge situation or wounded etc. Broadside makes way more sense.

That said, only enough penetration to get to the CNS in a charge or vitals, and each scenario can be different, hence the above answer all you can get.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
All the penetration one can get.

...several times.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Id' never shoot head on into a bears thoracic cavity unless it was a charge situation or wounded etc. Broadside makes way more sense.

That said, only enough penetration to get to the CNS in a charge or vitals, and each scenario can be different, hence the above answer all you can get.

I would not hesitate on a front on shot... And aim for a rear wheel hip socket. I have put quite a few into big bears going in each direction and have never caught a 270gr Barnes from a .375 or .375AI. That includes full-length through several truly big bears.

On the other hand I have never seen an Accubond exit a bear... And I have seen them used...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can tell you what was adequate on a frontal shot for me...
First one (26 4/16) at 16' with 400 grain .416 soft round nose Interbond. Knocked the sucker down, rolled over and died there. Into the chest on the right side facing and stopped against the rear, offside femur. Projectile weighted .357 grains after recovery.

Second one similar except the center of the chest and full body penetration. Bbl. was stuck in the chest of the bear and shot. It fell out of the tree and rolled over and died. Second shot at 5 yards was not needed though taken. Both were 275 grain Swift A Frame in .338 caliber. (25 13/16)

I have no problem shooting head on with these or any other critters. A diagonal shot is best if can be achieved but you do what you need do.

All others were taken in a "more civilized" manner😉

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Front half (third?) holds alla the important stuff.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I would not hesitate on a front on shot... And aim for a rear wheel hip socket...

Yep

*** my Grandaughters

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I would not hesitate on a front on shot... And aim for a rear wheel hip socket. I have put quite a few into big bears going in each direction and have never caught a 270gr Barnes from a .375 or .375AI. That includes full-length through several truly big bears.

On the other hand I have never seen an Accubond exit a bear... And I have seen them used...

Of course, I'm never right... LMAO. Whatever. BUT you don't easily get both lungs on a frontal shot. Taking both lungs is important to me.

If its a wounded/charge thats another story totally, but any animal with only one lung out of commission can go a LONG way. Deer certainly can I can only imagine a big bear.

But yes, one could take out CNS or the heart and it be all over, I know I certainly could but I simply won't. Low percentage shots just don't do it for me and not on larger more dangerous game.

Of course I'm probably overly picky on my shot choices, yet I rarely have problems once I pull the trigger, and rarely rarely ever shoot twice.

Again if wounded all bets are off and I"ll run every bullet through and through as often as I can from whatever angle.

Arrows CERTAINLY do not need to be put frontal in an attempt at thoracic cavity if one knows much about arrows.

YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don, you should not otta tempt bears like that.... smile

IIRC, and I have the right incident/person, that tree bear was about 14 feet up. Brown/griz. Everyone knows they can't climb trees. Good jumpers tho. smile

Last edited by las; 08/30/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

I would not hesitate on a front on shot... And aim for a rear wheel hip socket...

Yep

A friend took (DLOP) what he could get - a front wheel socket for his first shot with a .30-06 at @30 yards. .No question of the bear's intent. Next 3 went in sideways, two of them lung hits, one gut.

At the time, and maybe still, the second oldest brown bear on record - 31 years. 9'2". Mouth full of rotten/broken teeth, Memorial day weekend - 4 inches of fat on the sucker. Just a sore toothed old curmudgeon. The bear.

I helped skin and pack it out 8 miles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
18 inches plus

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil, you've been a Campfire member for over 14 years now. Haven't you realized that you're not supposed to actually answer questions?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is a concise answer at least

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Careful gentlemen, the adults have entered the room🙂

*** my Grandaughters

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thank goodness several of you have hunted big bears and have taken frontal shots with bear on four feet/paws. What is that amount of penetration necessary - not ideal, not optimum - what gets the job done without "muss and fuss." One assumption is you have shot with revolver or rifle or shotgun or arrow and the shot was your idea. The bear did not charge or magically appear at poker table range. Since you are shooting at the chest by way of, perhaps, the neck, how deeply is the penetration

I'm a penetration shooter. When I bow hunted, before my MCTD got serious about destroying my body, I was a disciple of Dr. Ed Ashby*, an optometrist who retired to Australia - whose work shows heavy correctly-made two-edged broadheads are effective on large game - Asiatic buffalo - hugely beyond expectation and ballistics. Since then, I have emphasized penetration, nearly to the exclusion of expansion for my larger game hunting in extreme west central Montana - that is, hunting bullets are extremely short, light arrows that have exceptional speed. Oversimplification or not, it works. Hence my query.

*Archives of the well detailed testing by Dr. Ashby of his theories concerning can be found here Ashby on arrow performance with traditional bows

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil, you've been a Campfire member for over 14 years now. Haven't you realized that you're not supposed to actually answer questions?

Another thing is, having actually shot bears, his information would be suspect....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the title: "Now, where's this Eskimo woman I'm supposed to wrestle?"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

That made me laugh.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done head-on and broadside. Head-on was a 180gr Partition through the pocket of the front shoulder/brisket to opposite hip. Another was when he dropped his head and I drove one through the top of the spine at the base of the skull and through the chest. Most of the others have been broadside.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is where the keyboard comes into play.

I'll take an angling shot given I am convinced I can take both lungs basically and lots of other stuff. I think its actually better than true broadside actually.,

But a direct head on.. nope not unless other circumstances.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is where the keyboard comes into play.

I'll take an angling shot given I am convinced I can take both lungs basically and lots of other stuff. I think its actually better than true broadside actually.,

But a direct head on.. nope not unless other circumstances.

Close enough to be looking at a slam-dunk type shot and I would not hesitate to aim for a hip socket from the front...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Close enough for that, why do folks not simply shoot them in the head? Serious question? I"m guessing the skull is part of the "trophy"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A hit to the skull puts them right down, and the old bunk about bullets bouncing off their skulls must have come from the old muzzle loading days and round balls.
But it does destroy the measurable trophy and because it is a relatively small and constantly moving target it can be difficult to hit

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice to know they won't bounce off. I was reading if it was a chip shot I'd shoot per Art, hence the head question.

That said I basically won't shoot moving targets, body or head, so that might answer my question too. Those heads have to be the size of the vitals on our dog size deer down in TX. Which would make any kind of 100 yard or less shot fairly much a chip shot if it was holding still and one had any kind of decent position/rest.

And I figured the trophy part had to come into play somewhat. Though for the most part these days trophy books are mostly about he who has the most money. I entered something once in some kind of book, a Nilgai that was not small, and in the end I was never impressed enough to see the point or ever even consider that again but I digress.

Thanks for your input!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A couple years ago my then 10 year old killed his first brown bear, a seven footer using his 9.3x62 with H4895 pushing 250gr TTSXs to 2100fps. We knelt 40 yds away while he fed directly facing us for over five minutes. At one point he asked "Dad, should I just rake him?" "No, wait for him to turn" was my reply. I wasn't so much concerned about the ability of the boy or bullet to do good work, rather there was no reason to add the danger of an evening blood trail job to an already maybe-sorta-mother-approved boys' adventure.

I've shot plenty of deer facing me. Often they drop right there but if they don't there's not much of a blood trail sometimes. It's hard to count on a blood trail with bears, so we try to get them as leaky as possible on the first go round. Unless they're charging and need killed right now that theory precludes a direct frontal shot on an undisturbed brown bear.

The boy's bear turned soon enough and soon had three shots from the kid in rapid succession resulting in six holes from various angles, the dance having started. Evidence indicated those TTSXs expanded just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My best guesstimate is Phil and some others here know of what they type.

My only advice is Barnes bullets in 06 or better and worries about penetration no longer become an issue, just shot placement and angle of the shot.

Once you’ve checked penetration off the list you only need worry about the last 4 elements of taking a big bear down.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement and angle of the shot.

See how easy that was ? 😂

Nobler partitions were my go to round in my .338 and I still like them. But man those Barnes bullets are impressive to me on game.

If Phil or Art contradict this, listen to them.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
art says shoot em in the face all the time. LOL

No flies on barnes that I've ever seen, though some have from what I see and read. Barnes is the only bullet I trust hands down, past a hard cast lead bullet generally. Both of those I know what to expect.

From other bullets I generally know it will be between this or that. LOL

Headed through around mid day through FBKs on the way to delta to drop off a camper. With the reality I need a pull behind bigger camper for next year. Hope to find something decent and used at a decent price this fall.

Then headed back for a few last charters maybe and then off to help at moose camp for the first time ever, 10-21 Sept.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have time for lunch ? Or gotta keep movin ?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up reading Elmer Keith and was brain washed at and early age because of that. So I knew I had to have a decent sized hole with a pass through on every shot I took. I have aged and know lots of different bullets kill well, even if they don't exit. Except for one moose taken with a .300 Winny and a few caribou in the 60's with 150 grain WW Silvertips from a 30-06, all of my critters were blasted with Nosler Partitions out of my .338 or 30-06. They always worked and killed quickly, even though the Partitions typically lost 1/3 of their weight on the couple of times I recovered the bullet.

In the late 80's I discovered Barnes X bullets and left the wonderful Partitions. The Barnes X bullets killed stuff deader, penetrated deeper and lost only a grain or two on the one I have recovered. All joking aside, the Partitions were and are always, "good enough" as are the Barnes X bullets of what ever flavor.

My favorite Partition load for the 30-06 was the 200 grain version and 250 grains for the .338. Since switching to the Barnes X bullets in the late 80's I have settled on the 175 grain LRX for the 30-06 and 225 grain TTSX for the .338 Winny. If I was chasing brown bear on purpose I would grab some 250 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. But, both current 30-06 and .338 loads offer all the "right stuff" one needs for big bears. As we all know, correct shot placement with a good bullet at a suitable impact velocity kills well. For me that means no first shots at big bears past 200 yards with the 30-06 and 300 yards for the .338 Winny.

My 70 year old wife is my moose and caribou hunting pard and we truly love our annual moose hunts. This year was easy as compared to some we have had these past 45 years. I shot a 44 inch 3 year old bull at less hen 200 yards as he stood still and gave me a broad side shot. The 225 grain TTSX bullet passed through both lungs, exited and made him sick quickly, he ran straight ahead for about 30 feet. After waiting about a minute for him to tip over I put another one into his shoulder and that dropped him and the bullet exited.

I believe the 30-06 load would of given similar results as would the Partitions. When I think about the size of the big bears and how they act and feel about being wounded I believe for the most part bigger is better and a deep penetrating expanding bullet is a good idea. All of this is old info and has been shown to be true every year. I also happen to like watching brown and grizzly bears and believe if we are going to kill them then we should kill them quickly by using loads that have been proven to have all of the "right stuff". We owe it to them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Seems like the CNS shot is the best and only shot that can be guaranteed. And not much penetration is required, comparatively speaking. That said, I'm glad I don't hunt around these huge bears.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I grew up reading Elmer Keith and was brain washed at and early age because of that. So I knew I had to have a decent sized hole with a pass through on every shot I took. I have aged and know lots of different bullets kill well, even if they don't exit. Except for one moose taken with a .300 Winny and a few caribou in the 60's with 150 grain WW Silvertips from a 30-06, all of my critters were blasted with Nosler Partitions out of my .338 or 30-06. They always worked and killed quickly, even though the Partitions typically lost 1/3 of their weight on the couple of times I recovered the bullet.

In the late 80's I discovered Barnes X bullets and left the wonderful Partitions. The Barnes X bullets killed stuff deader, penetrated deeper and lost only a grain or two on the one I have recovered. All joking aside, the Partitions were and are always, "good enough" as are the Barnes X bullets of what ever flavor.

My favorite Partition load for the 30-06 was the 200 grain version and 250 grains for the .338. Since switching to the Barnes X bullets in the late 80's I have settled on the 175 grain LRX for the 30-06 and 225 grain TTSX for the .338 Winny. If I was chasing brown bear on purpose I would grab some 250 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. But, both current 30-06 and .338 loads offer all the "right stuff" one needs for big bears. As we all know, correct shot placement with a good bullet at a suitable impact velocity kills well. For me that means no first shots at big bears past 200 yards with the 30-06 and 300 yards for the .338 Winny.

My 70 year old wife is my moose and caribou hunting pard and we truly love our annual moose hunts. This year was easy as compared to some we have had these past 45 years. I shot a 44 inch 3 year old bull at less hen 200 yards as he stood still and gave me a broad side shot. The 225 grain TTSX bullet passed through both lungs, exited and made him sick quickly, he ran straight ahead for about 30 feet. After waiting about a minute for him to tip over I put another one into his shoulder and that dropped him and the bullet exited.

I believe the 30-06 load would of given similar results as would the Partitions. When I think about the size of the big bears and how they act and feel about being wounded I believe for the most part bigger is better and a deep penetrating expanding bullet is a good idea. All of this is old info and has been shown to be true every year. I also happen to like watching brown and grizzly bears and believe if we are going to kill them then we should kill them quickly by using loads that have been proven to have all of the "right stuff". We owe it to them.

My experience with a bit over 20 moose using both premiums (Partitions, TB) and plain janes (Corelokts, Hornadys RN, Game King - no Barnes T's , admittedly) is that C&C work just as well as what you describe... cheaper too. I like cheaper.... and usually lean toward the heavy for caliber. 100's in .243, 225 and above in .338, usually 165 and up in .30, etc. what I will not EVER use again in .338WM for moose is a 210 Partition! Probably all right for caribou. Or coyotes. One bad experience is enough.

In my guns, Partitions tend to group less well than some C&C - but still perfectly adequate. That 12 ga slug at 35 yards never expanded, exited.... but did the job.... bull ran (running when I shot him) about 100 yards and keeled right over, shot through the big artery just under the backbone. Whitest moose meat I ever et... smile

For 51 years now the big bears and I have kept a compact- If they don't try to put big ugly holes in me, I'll return the consideration. Which doesn't mean I go inadequately equipped for the dance if I think it might occur.

We have eyeballed each other (closely!) a dozen times or so, over the years however.... smile

Last edited by las; 09/15/19.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So are we talking "just enough", or "over"..... ?

Personally, whatever the situation, I am a "Blow a hole to daylight" fan.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las

That’s far more eloquent than ‘two holes’! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

That’s far more eloquent than ‘two holes’! smile

If daylight is the goal, let Xs be your guide!
wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I think I would rather wrassel a bear.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.