-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew one of the Ellett salesgirls pretty well, too. There is a human cost to this crap, Chapin wasn’t much of a town without Elletts

GB1

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
I knew one of the Ellett salesgirls pretty well, too. There is a human cost to this crap, Chapin wasn’t much of a town without Elletts

Lisa was our salesperson. She was good!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe not very abnormal - dealers and shops always have come and gone and been absorbed - maybe more noticeable and striking in today's conditions. Remember some big players of yesteryear - Herter's, Cabela's, etc., etc., and the "name" manufacturers that have been bought/absorbed or waned at the roadside?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

Green Supply
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by g5m
There may be more, too.

We've already lost Acusport, Ellett Brothers and Baumler. I expect some of the other smaller ones to close, maybe Camfour, Lew Horton, Bangers and Riley's. That will leave RSR, Sports South, Lipsey's, Davidson's and Bill Hicks. Am I missing any?

Ron Shirk's

Green Supply. Used them, JSC, & Ron Shirk for years. No more though, released my FFL couple weeks ago after (26) years. Time to quit @ 81😜.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would also imagine being cherry picked for add-ons, outs, and special orders wasn't what Jerrys et al had in mind as core business.

My BIL had a great job at a hardware distributor and they went under the same way. The big box stores simply priced them out the higher volume stuff.

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by tomk
Would also imagine being cherry picked for add-ons, outs, and special orders wasn't what Jerrys et al had in mind as core business.

My BIL had a great job at a hardware distributor and they went under the same way. The big box stores simply priced them out the higher volume stuff.

In the gun industry, it's not the big boxes but the online stores. They deal in large volume, buy direct from the manufacturers and don't have to worry about NICS, 4473s, having knowledgeable salespeople, etc, etc. They just have a warehouse or have things dropshipped.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

There is a good deal of old guys moving on, and the kids often are not interested in running the business. . . .

^ ^ ^ that's a part of every business and trade in this nation now days. ^ ^ ^
i see a lot of that where you're having some work done and they want to
show up at 10 and leave by 3 every day after spending 50% of the work
day diddling with their blankety blankin' cell phone.
i've also seen where some of these local businesses closed up because
daddy or paw paw retired or died, and son or grandson doesn't want to
work his butt off like daddy or paw paw did, and the customer base drifts
away, but they just can't figure out why.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker
WL Baumler has closed its doors. It was based in Lorain, Ohio and was one of the TALO group. They were bought by Crow Shooting Supply, which I believe is connected to Brownell's. It's surprising because they had a strong fishing department, also. I heard that Crow closed the warehouse but is keeping on the salesmen (working remotely) and is getting out of the fishing side of things. The firearms industry is very weak right now.

Brownells bought Crow Shooting Supply several years ago.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.