Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've used all the above except the floor mats. I've also used chicken wire with clothes pins to hold the targets. One is only held back by their imagination. My favorite is the political signs as they are light to carry plus cheap and easy to get.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The last two years I`ve used 1/12x2 ( space opening) plastic green shrubbery netting. Light, cheap, can see through it, lasts a long time. I use plastic clothes pins to hang my targets. My berm is wide enough to move the targets around, helping backing life. So far, beats anything else I`ve tried...tho all mentioned above work.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The state range uses the pink sheet foam board. 1" thick I think. Then they supply toothpicks for target holding. Some guys bring staplers or tape.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After using all sorts of materials, my favourite is the corrugated plastic used in election signs. The signs are free after elections, last a long time and a lot of shots (minorly self-healing), and take staples very well. If you can find the ones mounted on survey stakes rather than the wire frames, all the better!

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Update: Just finished putting up the “horse stall” mats. Boy....those things are heavy! grin Target in foreground is the 100 yard target frame, and though difficult to see....to the left, just in front of the berm, is the 300 yard target frame. memtb

[Linked Image]

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
👍🏻👍🏻

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
After using all sorts of materials, my favourite is the corrugated plastic used in election signs. The signs are free after elections, last a long time and a lot of shots (minorly self-healing), and take staples very well. If you can find the ones mounted on survey stakes rather than the wire frames, all the better!

I like these too and you can pick up about as many as you want when the elections or events are over.

Spray paint them fluorescent green or pink to more easily see any shots that don't make it onto the target sheet.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Some outdoor advertisements at places like convenience stores and markets are made of the same material as campaign signs, sometimes of thicker material. I got a couple of signs years ago that lasted much longer than the thinner ones.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The local range used plywood backers that varied from new to ugly large holes.
Everyone that wanted to measure their shots would staple cardboard under their targets.
The cardboard supports the paper for clean round holes with no tearing.
Easy to throw in the trunk till it's used up.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Coroplast

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Finally got to do some shooting on the “new” target frames yesterday. I used “push pins” to secure the target. That horse stall mat is tough, pins didn’t go in easy....but held “very” good. The place that the bullet (6.5) went through was approximately the size of a ball point pin point....entrance and exit point. Judging from the damage done to the mat.....it should last a couple of lifetimes! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by colodog
The local range used plywood backers that varied from new to ugly large holes.
Everyone that wanted to measure their shots would staple cardboard under their targets.
The cardboard supports the paper for clean round holes with no tearing.
Easy to throw in the trunk till it's used up.

Yep, I use a 4'x4' sheet of OSB covered with a sheet of corrugated cardboard. I can hang six standard rifle targets on it. The OSB will last thousands and thousands of rounds. The corrugated facing is easily replaced, but will usually last about six months in our weather.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 16 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.