A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tobacco already comes with nicotine. God put it in the DNA of that plant.

Can tell you have never been anywhere near a tobacco crop. Workers can get nicotine poisoning from wearing short sleeve shirts in the field.

Yep. Any time the plant is wet while topping, cutting, hoousing. Heavy dew, foggy, after a rain. Have friends who work tobacco from March to November/December every year. Always take a second change of clothes with them when the tobacco is wet. Change into dry clothes at lunch time to reduce the exposure. If it is bad, they will hop in the river or a pond with a bar of soap. Hauled a couple guys with "green tobacco poisoning" when I ran EMS. First they were afraid they were going to die... Then they were afraid they wouldn't...

Not talking about raw tobacco which is bad enough. The cigarette companies added nicotine and a whole lot of other things to tobacco and have been called on it. There is plenty more to google on this if you are so inclined.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/253328.php
https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/us-tobacco-companies-tell-the-truth-about-addictive-products.html

1200 people per day die and yet we have to pay tobacco farmers not to grow this product. The Money that came out of those big lawsuits sure enriched some phugging lawyers . How much money does it cost to treat lung cancer or any cancer caused by this ? We then wonder why our premiums and medical costs are out of control.

Great contribution!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No tobacco is grown here, so I have zero experience hunting over it.

Looks like it'd be hard to find downed birds.

I'll be hunting over a safflower field as they come in to roost in an almond orchard tomorrow afternoon. Got my swivel seat 5 gallon bucket, a couple boxes of shells, a six pack, and a couple hand rolled cigarettes.

Good luck!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

After growing tobacco for 32 years this was the last year for a cousin, her husband and family. Said they were still making good money and enjoyed growing it but with them getting older. all the work involved and not being able to hire enough good dependable help they decided it was time. They're trying their hand at growing hemp now.

Back in the day tobacco paid or helped pay for a whole lot of family farm kids school clothes, books, their first vehicles (often new), and for some, college expenses.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Disgusting crop grown by azzholes

Go back to bed and get up on the other side if it.

Go [bleep] yourself Azzhole. You have not lost friends to it like i have.

Going to blame the gun if one is used in a mass shooting?
NO ONE tied your friends up and forced them to use it. And once they discovered the dangers they could of stopped like most intelligent people do.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Disgusting crop grown by azzholes

Go back to bed and get up on the other side if it.

Go [bleep] yourself Azzhole. You have not lost friends to it like i have.

Going to blame the gun if one is used in a mass shooting?
NO ONE tied your friends up and forced them to use it. And once they discovered the dangers they could of stopped like most intelligent people do.

True that no one tied them up, they all had one thing in common(very stressful jobs) . They still had cigarette ads when they started smoking and unlike today there were more smokers, there was no knowledge at the time of the dangers of smoking. The tobacco companies added nicotine and other ingredients to hook people even more.

That we continue to subsidize the production of this crap on the taxpayer dime is pathetic. No worries, the cigarette companies are making more selling vapes and supplies then they could have ever dreamed up selling cigarettes.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Can tell you have never been anywhere near a tobacco crop. Workers can get nicotine poisoning from wearing short sleeve shirts in the field.

They add nicotine to it and I am not going to google it for you. I have tobacco growing 200 yards from my house, I work 200 yards from RJR reynolds. That and soybeans is all they apparently know how to grow around here.

I've always found myself agreeing with most everything you have posted, and have no desire to start an argument with anyone here, but you just may have posted the dumbest thing I've seen on here.

Read my lips................THEY DO NOT ADD NICOTINE TO TOBACCO

My in-laws grow about a 100 acres of tobacco, a lot of that on contract to US Tobacco company. They have to follow certain rules and guidelines which REDUCE the amount of carcinogens and nicotine in the tobacco. Again, the companies do not add nicotine.

I grew tobacco for almost 30 years. Don't remember anybody giving me anything, other than what I got for my hard work.

I smoked myself......and it was MY choice.....no one forced me to. If someone gets cancer because they used tobacco, it's their fault. Sad, and I feel for anyone that's has it, or lost loved ones to it, but it was a choice they made......period.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Looks kinda green to be housed in barns on tier poles? Or flue cured? Lotso leaf going up and down the roads around here right now. But much more "ripe" yellowish leaves.

That's dark fired tobacco, most likely, and it will be cured with smoke.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JamesJr

They add nicotine to it and I am not going to google it for you. I have tobacco growing 200 yards from my house, I work 200 yards from RJR reynolds. That and soybeans is all they apparently know how to grow around here.

I've always found myself agreeing with most everything you have posted, and have no desire to start an argument with anyone here, but you just may have posted the dumbest thing I've seen on here.

Cigarette companies not farmers added nicotine

My in-laws grow about a 100 acres of tobacco, a lot of that on contract to US Tobacco company. They have to follow certain rules and guidelines which REDUCE the amount of carcinogens and nicotine in the tobacco. Again, the companies do not add nicotine. Bullchitt they did

I grew tobacco for almost 30 years. Don't remember anybody giving me anything, other than what I got for my hard work.

I smoked myself......and it was MY choice.....no one forced me to. If someone gets cancer because they used tobacco, it's their fault. Sad, and I feel for anyone that's has it, or lost loved ones to it, but it was a choice they made......period.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My in-laws grow about a 100 acres of tobacco, a lot of that on contract to US Tobacco company. They have to follow certain rules and guidelines which REDUCE the amount of carcinogens and nicotine in the tobacco. Again, the companies do not add nicotine. Bullchitt they did

Your belief ranks right up there with that of those people who think that the reason there are no Bobwhite quail anymore, is because the turkeys are eating the quail eggs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

US Tobacco Companies Tell the Truth About Addictive Products Nov 21, 2017

Major US tobacco companies will publish and broadcast messages beginning November 24 that clearly state they designed their products to be more addictive, even while knowing their health effects were deadly. The court-ordered messages will appear in big city newspapers, on national network television stations, websites, cigarette package inserts, and places where cigarettes are sold. These “corrective statement” advertisements are a result from a federal case that found cigarette makers guilty in 2006 of violating racketeering laws.

Full-page newspaper ads will appear in papers in more than 50 major cities through April 2018. The television ads will begin on November 27 and run on major network or cable stations during primetime for 52 weeks.

The decision holding the tobacco defendants liable was based on evidence that the tobacco industry knew smoking and nicotine were addictive, manipulated tobacco products to make them more addictive, and claimed “light” and “low” tar products were healthier than regular products even though they knew that was false. Judge Gladys Kessler, who presided over United States v. Philip Morris USA, Inc. et al., found that, “…over the course of more than 50 years, defendants lied, misrepresented, and deceived the American public, including smokers and the young people they avidly sought as ‘replacement smokers,’ about the devastating health effects of smoking and environmental tobacco smoke.”...

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Your belief ranks right up there with that of those people who think that the reason there are no Bobwhite quail anymore, is because the turkeys are eating the quail eggs.

Not my belief, common knowledge. Look it up yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

US Tobacco Companies Tell the Truth About Addictive Products Nov 21, 2017

Major US tobacco companies will publish and broadcast messages beginning November 24 that clearly state they designed their products to be more addictive, even while knowing their health effects were deadly. The court-ordered messages will appear in big city newspapers, on national network television stations, websites, cigarette package inserts, and places where cigarettes are sold. These “corrective statement” advertisements are a result from a federal case that found cigarette makers guilty in 2006 of violating racketeering laws.

Full-page newspaper ads will appear in papers in more than 50 major cities through April 2018. The television ads will begin on November 27 and run on major network or cable stations during primetime for 52 weeks.

The decision holding the tobacco defendants liable was based on evidence that the tobacco industry knew smoking and nicotine were addictive, manipulated tobacco products to make them more addictive, and claimed “light” and “low” tar products were healthier than regular products even though they knew that was false. Judge Gladys Kessler, who presided over United States v. Philip Morris USA, Inc. et al., found that, “…over the course of more than 50 years, defendants lied, misrepresented, and deceived the American public, including smokers and the young people they avidly sought as ‘replacement smokers,’ about the devastating health effects of smoking and environmental tobacco smoke.”...

I have no doubt whatsoever that tobacco knew their products were unhealthy, to say the least. I also know that in the years I spent growing tobacco, I know what I sprayed it with, know how it was handled, and I still used it myself. But, you can't just single out tobacco......the consumption of alcohol is worse than tobacco as far as I'm concerned, as is overeating and getting fat.

It's all a choice, an unwise choice people make. It's like the guns don't kill people, people kill people.......tobacco did not force a person to sue it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Morewood

I'll be hunting over a safflower field as they come in to roost in an almond orchard tomorrow afternoon. Got my swivel seat 5 gallon bucket, a couple boxes of shells, a six pack, and a couple hand rolled cigarettes.

Good luck!

Haha

Not hunting a tobacco field for doves.

There is a top sown with wheat, cover crop on the adjoining field to the right. Already cut tobacco field, Burely field from last month. (There is a burley barn way off in the back of one of the pics.

This btw is Dark Fired, the barns are already smoking. This will join them.

Make sure you debaters go take a GIANT SHÎT on the next wabifool thread about bugs bunny and hummingbirds.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Good luck!

Haha

There is a top sown with wheat, cover crop on the adjoining field to the right. Already cut tobacco field, Burely field from last month. (There is a burley barn way off in the back of one of the pics.

Make sure you debaters go take a GIANT SHÎT on the next wabifool thread about bugs bunny and hummingbirds.

I might go dove hunting tomorrow....drive there in my new Ford pickup, paid for by the money I'm still getting from all those years I grew tobacco.

I'll use my $1500 Benelli shotgun, that I bought with the proceeds from my last tobacco crop.

And I'll shot ammo bought with the money I get from renting my neighbor some land where he can grow his tobacco on.

Damn, tobacco has sho nuff been good to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Good luck!

Haha

I might go dove hunting tomorrow....drive there in my new Ford pickup, paid for by the money I'm still getting from all those years I grew tobacco.

I'll use my $1500 Benelli shotgun, that I bought with the proceeds from my last tobacco crop.

And I'll shot ammo bought with the money I get from renting my neighbor some land where he can grow his tobacco on.

Deflave said you were given everything have from your dad. Just like Shrapnel.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Good luck!

Haha

Deflave said you were given everything have from your dad. Just like Shrapnel.

Next time you see Deflave, tell him he's just jealous, because I KNEW who my father was.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Potsy
Geez SlumLord, I broke into a sweat looking at the pictures. I grew up in North Robertson Co. TN. Every family had a patch. Good or bad, tobacco and cattle paid for the family farm and put me and my kid sister through school.

I hate the stuff now, but I reckon according to oldelkhunter's logic, all the beef and corn we raised contributed to multiple DUI fatalities and countless strokes and heart attacks.

Don't matter much, one thing I learned from my Dad was to not pay too much attention to folks from "town". They generally talk out of their ass.

Edited to add: Pard is working on us a silage field for this week. Hope it pans out!!! I'm a bit fired up for seedsucker season!!!

We are hunting a feild off mint springs road just off keysburg rd.

Riley brothers field.
They public lease to twra every year.
Big feild by the CO- OP they have given a rest past 2 years after it being hunted 3 yrs running.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Been building fence most of the day. Season opens tomorrow, but it sure seems a lot of people are warming up there barrels early. The last hour of daylight sounded like a shooting range just down the road. Suppose to be good working weather tomorrow, probably shouldn't waste it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 68 invisible), 3,546 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,400
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.