Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
OP Offline
T
I am looking to buy or build an AR for hunting deer, coyotes, maybe even bear. I normally just bow hunt and this will be my first AR I live in Virginia so 5.56 is not legal for hunting here. I am current looking at 25-45 Sharpes, 350 Legend, or a AR 10 in a .243. Honestly I don't need an AR for hunting but if I am going to spend the money on a new rifle I want it to be something that the whole family will enjoy shooting and I feel an AR is the best way to go. Any and all information and suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to a new member.

Being in the woods soothes the soul
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
6.5 grendel. Low recoil, available ammo, accurate and plenty for deer to 300-400 yards.

And fits into a standard AR.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For HUNTING in an AR15 platform, as much as the Grendel can do past 300, (IME) the 6.8 is better on game inside 300, with comparable bullet weights, and especially in more hunting-friendly packages/barrel lengths. I’ve just seen more emphatic performance on deer and hogs with the 6.8 than the 6.5. The velocity quotient on it inside 300 seems to matter more than the lower velocity/high BC in the 6.5, until you get past where I’d be shooting game with either. However, the 30 HAMR might be better, since you’re throwing bear in there, but a 6.8/Barnes combo would probably be fine, as well. If you want more, the AR10 is the way to go, but they’re just heavy and unwieldy to me in the woods. Stalking fields, it doesn’t matter. Just my opinions.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag
This will be an interesting thread

I like the idea the whole family will enjoy in the original post
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with the .450 Bushmaster to comply with Ohio deer hunting laws, and will change uppers as needed for other game. AR should be a good choice for a variety of game and a variety of shooters with the adjustable buttstock.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think a 1-7 or 1-8 .223/5.56 and a 6.5 Grendel will cover the bases quite nicely for anywhere. Unless you live in Ohio or other straight-case state that is.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In Ohio, where I was raised and spent a good portion of my life, a lever action 357 magnum solved most deer hunting problems that required a straight walled case.

I think the Legend is Winchester’s attempt at a 357 mag in an at platform.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The 7.62x39 is another viable choice.

There is plenty of budget friendly ammo for range fun. Decent hunting ammo is also out there, or you can roll your own.

I've handloaded the 155gr Hornady ELD'M to 2140 fps in a 16" barrel. That probably beats the 30-30 at 200 yards, given the .440 BC. It delivers over 1000 ft-lbs at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TradHunter89
I am looking to buy or build an AR for hunting deer, coyotes, maybe even bear. I normally just bow hunt and this will be my first AR I live in Virginia so 5.56 is not legal for hunting here. I am current looking at 25-45 Sharpes, 350 Legend, or a AR 10 in a .243. Honestly I don't need an AR for hunting but if I am going to spend the money on a new rifle I want it to be something that the whole family will enjoy shooting and I feel an AR is the best way to go. Any and all information and suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to a new member.

Do you reload?

What's your budget?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with David Walter... the 6.5 Grendel would be my choice (and is) for a versatile choice... you never know when that lifetime but shows up at 400+ yards... 😜

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I’m worried about the animal of a lifetime past 300 as even remotely possible, I ain’t carrying a Grendel, either. Just sayin. Inside 300, I’ll take a 110gr accubond at 2600-2700, all day long. If I hunted much in western/more open country, and I had to use an AR15, maybe I’d walk out the door with a Grendel more often. For mixed country with more thick cover than open, performance past 300 is rarely an AR requirement.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/31/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
6.5 grendel. Low recoil, available ammo, accurate and plenty for deer to 300-400 yards.

+1

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Do you reload?

What's your budget?

I do have the ability to reload, and budget is topped out at $700 so I was thinking of doing a build on a Aero Precision lower.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally I was leaning more towards the 25-45 sharps because I think it would be a bit cheaper to reload. Anybody have any experience reloading this round?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Again, if you want an AR15 w/a 22”+ tube for eking out all the range possible, then the 6.5 is better. If you want a handier, lighter, shorter AR15 for hitting harder when hunting to 300, then the 6.8 is better. The 6.5 has some more efficient bullets, but the 6.8 is more efficient at launching its bullets. The closer you get to 400, the better the 6.5 can look. The further under 400 you get, the better the 6.8 gets.....especially when barrel length gets thrown in.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally I was leaning more towards the 25-45 sharps because I think it would be a bit cheaper to reload. Anybody have any experience reloading this round?

I do not, but use something close, a 6x45mm. Basically it's a 5.56 blown out to .243. It's the least I can perturb the standard 5.56 case and still be legal to hunt here in Colorado. It likes the 90gr NBT's and NAB with IMR-8208. It's a Blackhole barrel, which is now Columbia river arms.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The general idea that for game, there is any noticeable difference at normal ranges between the Grendel and the 6.8 is pretty wild IMHO. There really is none IMHO.

One can add the x39 into that mix too.

Pick the bullet that floats your boat and shoot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 grendel. Low recoil, available ammo, accurate and plenty for deer to 300-400 yards. And fits into a standard AR.
Agreed. My AR is a .223/5.56 but I have shot my hog killing partner's 6.5G and it is a superior weapon. Still has low enough recoil to be effective for pulling multiple shots on multiple targets. Several targets are a fairly common occurrence with pigs.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Again, if you want an AR15 w/a 22”+ tube for eking out all the range possible, then the 6.5 is better. If you want a handier, lighter, shorter AR15 for hitting harder when hunting to 300, then the 6.8 is better. The 6.5 has some more efficient bullets, but the 6.8 is more efficient at launching its bullets. The closer you get to 400, the better the 6.5 can look. The further under 400 you get, the better the 6.8 gets.....especially when barrel length gets thrown in.

How many times do you think you'll need to chime in about the 6.8 before anyone believes the hype? Better try a couple more at least...

The truth is, inside a few hundred yards the Grendel and 6.8 are more alike than different, enough that any difference comes down to bullet choice. Of course lots of the 6.8 fanboys still fall back on comparing the effect of 6.8 hunting bullets to 6.5 match bullets. Reality is either one does the job fine and shot placement is far more important than which of those cartridges are in the gun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 31 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.