Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope.

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dad got started smoking from cigarettes in C-Rats during WW2. Up to 3 packs a day throughout most of the 88 years he had. I often said he should sue Uncle Sam for starting him. laugh
Since he was my hero, I started at about 17. Got to a pack a day in the Army, and I quit for 6 months. Stress got to me and I started again.
I quit for a year or so later on. Both brothers smoke, and watching Dad decline in the hospice, I started again.
I still smoke some, but not a lot. I'll go for days without. Unless I'm into the beer with friends, a pack last me 3 or 4 days. Wifey tells me I should quit again, but we'll see. If I'm working outside or hunting, I don't see the harm.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Stopped smoking 15 years ago come Halloween...…. I can breathe now... Wife's a different story. Claws and fangs retract as she lights up and drinks her coffee. Snarl takes a little longer to go away.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I smoked for the first 17 years of life......secondhand.
Dad, 1-2 packs a day. Mom, 2-4+. She had 3 ashtrays in the kitchen. Sometimes had 3 going at once.
The laundry room had burn tracks on every horizontal surface. I told her several times that she was going to burn the house down.
In '12, she did.
She and my Stepdad got out but the house was history. FD was 25 miles away and by the time they got there the ammo in the house
started cooking off so they couldn't go near it.
She died from a heart attack in '14.
I despise cigarettes more than I can articulate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I smoked my first one at age 6. One of the other kids stole a pack from mommy's purse and five of us hiding in a shed lit up. The year was 1944. I'd sneak butts from their ashtrays, salvage the tobacco and smoke it in a home made pipe based on a drilled out 2x2 and a piece of brass pipe for the stem. By the time I was eleven I found a store that believed me when I said I was buying them for my mom. By 13 I actually had my parents permission to smoke. They felt I was gonna do it anyway and better not behind their back. At that time I was going to a Catholic school and one afternoon I was waiting for a streetcar with my two buds and we were all enjoying a smoke. Well, up comes sister to catch a street car to get to the convent. She asked if out parents knew we smoked and of course we all said yes. Come to think of it this was one a Friday as on Monday when class started sister addresses the class on how she ran int PB, RA, and JA smooooking with the "O" part long and drawn out. She then went on on how she asked us if out parents knew that we smoked. Her next words were, "Two of the gentlemen were lying. JA and RA go to the boys bathroom. Dunno what she did and they weren't talking but the howl coming from the boys can were just a bit chilling. I tried to quit a few times but it just didn't work. One day a group of Seventh Day Adventists came to town with a quit smoking class and my wife who hated the smell and the fact that I was coughing and hacking all the time got me to go. Consider this, I was averaging two to three packs a day, three or four pipe fulls and a cigar or two. That's every damn day. When that three day class was over, I hadn't smoked for three whole days and it was about three month later I bummed a smoke of a friend, took a drag, inhaled and threw it away. To me, that cigaret was making me slightly stoned. I have no other way to put it. So after 31 years of being a walking chimney I was smoke free. One of my hunting buddies back them was a strict mormon and had never smoked. I always had great difficult keeping up with him up in the hills. The hunting season back in 1975 surprised the hell out of him as he had trouble keeping up with me and his legs are a lot longer than mine.
If I'd only known back then what I know now, I promise you I'd have never taken that first drag.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After 40 years at a pack a day, I quit cold turkey. That was 7 years ago.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My dad was a cigarette salesman for most of his working life (Lorillard). We grew up with tobacco products all over the house and we even used to help him out with the promotions, like putting stickers on zippo lighters as buy one pack, get a free lighter type of thing. We smoked a bit as kids but never got hooked. That changed when I went into the military (1980s) and everyone smoked. I smoked for about 20 years, then quit when I turned 40 (well over 10 years ago) and haven't touched anything that you can smoke since. I used to miss it a LOT, to the point that I'd walk behind people smoking just to get second hand smoke, but in the last few years I have stopped craving cigarettes and now don't like the smell.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I quit 3 years ago after smoking for 38 years.

Good for you.... Not a damned single positive about smoking. 14 years later I seldom want one...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I smoked from about 14 , for about 20 years, cigs, pipe, cigars, and a chew now and then.
Quit cold in Jan, 1981 and never looked back.
Qiuting was the best thing I've ever done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neither smoke or chew.

I was an exception working offshore. Most do one or both.

Plus how many welders you know that don’t do tobacco?

I tried to dip once. Buddy gave me some peach or cherry skoal. That chit had me walking sideways. Puked.

Couple years later me and buddies were drinking beer piddling around. One was spitting into a bottle. Yup. You guessed it. I grabbed it by mistake and took a good pull off it. To this day smelling tobacco spit rumbles my tummy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started at 11 done 34 years best thing I ever did was to quit . I try to tell my 36 year old daughter to quit . her mom died at 49 of lung cancer 10 years ago . I don't mind raison my grandkids but I don't want too

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No longer. Did for 24 + years. Started at 10 when older bro and cousin wanted to have a smoke, made me and younger bro have one so we couldn't tell on them as we'd be guilty also.

By HS I was up to/over a pack a day. First chew was a bite off a bar of Day's Work or Brown's Mule, while helping a friend's dad fix an antenna on a roof. That was fun!. Smoked at the top of Mt Rainier at 20 years old, thought the guys I went up there with were a-holes for not letting me have one in the igloo we built to shelter from the blizzard that was going on one night. Made me go out in a full blown white out. (I stayed real close to the entrance to that igloo on a white glacier during a white out)

By 21, well over a pack a day, plus chewing (leaf or plug, none of that stuff in a can). Also smoked cigars at times, pipe on occasion, and real snuff, the kind you snort up your nose off the back of the web of your hand like in the 1700's.

Drank a bunch too. Was so bad I was one of those guys you see with a grit in the corner of his mouth and smoke the whole thing without using his hands once. So bad, I'd go to sleep and leave a half a ciggie in the ashtray next to the bed along with a half can of beer and I'd have to light up and finish the beer if I got up to micturate (look it up, crossword clue this morning while in the john doing my business)

Gave the smokes up a year and half after giving up the beer. Did the smoking help to cause the tumor I had removed from my kidney a few years back? Who knows, maybe it was the gas or diesel I used to wash car/backhoe parts, or the chemicals I worked with at times, the formalin from biology class. All I know is I can breath pretty good for a Medicare constituent as of tomorrow.

On occasion, in traffic and such, when I smell someone smoking I get an urge for one..............................for a minute.

Still absolutely love the smell of tobacco that's not burning.

Scheidt is so addictive to most people, some studies say a very high percentage of those that try even one cigarette. Worse than opiates they say.

That nicotine makes for a pretty good bug spray though.

Geno

PS, my secret so far for not starting back up................I don't smoke the first one, don't bum one from a friend, didn't smoke the ones I found in the glove box a week or two after quitting, or the ones I had stashed in the dress shirt pockets in the closet. I hated to run out. No matter how bad, even 30+ years later, I don't smoke one even when everyone else around is.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by hanco
How many of you smoke or did at one time? I can honestly say I’ve never had one in my mouth.

How many of you dip or chew

There were 10 guys on the first lease I was on, all but me were smokers. There is ten on the lease I’m on now, no smokers at all. There is 12 plumbers where I work, none of them smoke, 30 years ago it was all but two of us. I think the smoking percentage has gone down.

Taxes are an awesome tool.

Ex-smoker here. 2-3 packs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

At near $40 for the average packet people can't afford to smoke in Australia.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Smoked from 15 to 52. Pack and a half a day. Heart attack at 52. On seven IV's and they thought I aspirated something so they cleaned my lungs out. Was on a ventilator for the first twenty four hours. Went to the ER about 9 on a Friday night. Next thing I remember it was Tuesday at 10. Ended up with one stent on the widowmaker. Had no desire to smoke when I got out. That was 17 years ago. Mom and Dad both smoked. Mom until she was about 74 and had lung cancer. Part of a lung removed, but she lived to 85. Passed away with COPD. Dad smoked a few more years, but he lived to 89.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never smoked. Watched it torture my dad and kill him at age 66. So easy for me to not use tobacco.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Only ever smoked blunts

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Has to be grape. White owl

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smoked for over 20 years, limiting myself to a pack a day. I always said that since I grew tobacco, I was going to use it. Quit in 1996. Cold turkey, laid them down and never picked them back up. Easy to do, at least for me.

Never chewed or dipped. Have smoked only a handful of cigars. Tried a pipe a few times, but didn't care for it.

Can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now, and can smell a smoker a mile away. Makes me think that's how bad I used to smell...lol.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Former smoker. It was easy to quit when I decided to do so. Also used skoal for years. Would still be using it but dental hygienist informed me I had a pre-cancerous place in my mouth. I emptied my can in the storm drain, threw the can in the garbage and never picked another up. That was 20 years ago.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.