Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am going to be deer hunting in walk in areas and was thinking this looks like it will pack in easy and help with the drag back to camp, if I get one down. Have you guys used
this product and or is there any others I should consider?

https://www.amazon.com/DEER-SLEIGHR...mp;psc=1&refRID=8AASMYKYCG459GVH7Z7A

Thanks

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I one one similar last year on a good sized buck. The material was like a heavy tarp and not as thick as your link looks.
The one I used had a real hard time keeping the deer tied on and was essentially junk after a half mile on snow. I have an Otter sled that I will probably use this year.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Get a cart. I'd walk a mile or two back to the truck to get a cart before trying anything else. You want a big wide one with full size solid rubber tires. I've been using the same one for over twenty years. Have hauled out two deer at a time many times.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 09/01/19.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got one, my second. I think it's easier than a cart, as there are no spoked wheels to get tangled up with stuff, plus the cart adds considerable weight to the load. I used mine last year to drag in my treestand as well. I leave it rolled up under one of my stands so I don't have to fetch it after plunking a deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Don't waste your money! Tried one like that Cabelas sold years ago. Looked like flagging ribbon after one use! They did refund my money, but a cart is a better way to go!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a sled type one last winter and it paid for itself. Even if I never use it again. lol

Twice the walking, walking back to camp to get it, but still so worth it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jet Sled is simple but works for me. I've tried a couple of wheeled carts but prefer the sled on anything but maybe perfectly level and clear terrain.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heym06
Don't waste your money! Tried one like that Cabelas sold years ago. Looked like flagging ribbon after one use! They did refund my money, but a cart is a better way to go!

I have seen the one at Cabelas and it is trash, the one I am looking at is heavy gage plastic and there are pics of a bear that got a hold of it and the guy could still use it!
Also I wanted to see what else it available.

https://www.amazon.com/DEER-SLEIGHR...RID=8AASMYKYCG459GVH7Z7A#customerReviews

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I will be going in 5 or more miles from my truck so a cart is out of the question.

Also I found another one and it looks even more durable

http://www.deadsled.com/products?product_id=31

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I used a similar on for a 450 lb bear and it The weight is on your shoulders worked well. A drag harness will make it a lot easier. The weight is distributed on your shoulders and hips so you can use your legs well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one years ago. The one I bought was heavy and I never used it. i would rather drag a plastic sled behind me than carry that heavy thing on my pack along with all my other stuff. You might find it works for you but it didnt for me. I have a good chest harness and usually some help.
How far back in are you going? 5 miles , thats a heck of a long drag.
Is deboning and hauling the meat out an option?

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 09/02/19.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've packed a couple small elk (not at the same time) in an ordinary, garden variety wheelbarrow. With the weight over the wheel (unlike many carts), it's easier than it sounds. Up hills is a bugger with any cart but on the flat or downhill, it works very well. With only 1 wheel, it's much better on narrow trails or through rocks, etc. than a 2 wheeled cart. I made a couple rope loops around my wrists to hold it back on downhills. That helped a lot. Just keep the loops big enough so you can let go in a hurry if it gets away from you.
Note: do NOT use a cheap, flimsy wheelbarrow. Use a good sturdy one or you might end up packing both the deer and the wheelbarrow.

If the trail's steep, rolling the cart or wheelbarrow in, even though it's empty, gets pretty tedious.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I bought the larger, thicker elk model Deer Sleighr and ended up using it under the truck to change oil and sold it for $2.00 at a garage sale. A snow sled that stays in the truck until needed works better and keeps the animal clean. If there isn't snow, I like a cart better, but I needed to modify my Cabela's Super Mag Hauler and get rid of those junk spoke wheels. I got a used wheelchair off Craig's List and those big solid wheels with the Nylon spokes work way better and don't catch brush or get loose. A few years back Wisconsin started letting us cut our deer up into five pieces, so we don't need to bring them out just gutted any longer. I carry pulleys in my pack now to get a deer up in a tree and cut them up if I'm a long way from the truck. I did put a smaller single wheel bolted on to the bottom of my pack frame also off that wheelchair and that way I can carry a quarter or wheel it like Rock Chuck's wheelbarrow. Both my sled and cart can have a bolt on trailer hitch for my ATV when I can use that, but motorized vehicles are not allowed on state land.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
Originally Posted by Heym06

I have seen the one at Cabelas and it is trash, the one I am looking at is heavy gage plastic and there are pics of a bear that got a hold of it and the guy could still use it!
Also I wanted to see what else it available.

https://www.amazon.com/DEER-SLEIGHR...RID=8AASMYKYCG459GVH7Z7A#customerReviews

Yup. Mine is about 1/8" thick and tough as nails. They're designed for you to tie the drag line to the load, not the grommet on the sled, which would tear loose.

A quality aluminum cart with spokeless wheels would likely work better than the heavy cheapo I had, but pulling one through heavy brush or grass, over logs and rocks would still be a chore, I think.

We can cut deer up in the field, so I'll do that if I wander far, but my rollup sled stays by a stand.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I never used it, but I've often thought about using a roll up plastic toboggan. Drill 3/8 - 1/2" holes a foot apart about 1 inch from the edge to allow lashing the deer to the toboggan, then drag the drag the deer.

You can also sit on it to give a moisture barrier to your butt/seat cushion. Light , durable, low-cost.

Example :. 54" x 18". ,. About $8.50 + shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Buckmans-Ski-Shops-Classic-Roll-Up/dp/B016DQL9TK#customerReviews

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buttstock
I never used it, but I've often thought about using a roll up plastic toboggan. Drill 3/8 - 1/2" holes a foot apart about 1 inch from the edge to allow lashing the deer to the toboggan, then drag the drag the deer.

You can also sit on it to give a moisture barrier to your butt/seat cushion. Light , durable, low-cost.

Example :. 54" x 18". ,. About $8.50 + shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Buckmans-Ski-Shops-Classic-Roll-Up/dp/B016DQL9TK#customerReviews

That's a good idea but I am thinking 18" might be to narrow?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I concur

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Go to your local roofing contractor see if you can get a piece of reinforced TPO or PVC single ply roofing.
Cut to the size you want, add grommets at will.
charlee

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need it wide enough to roll up on both sides of the deer. Otherwise the deer will be rolling off of it no matter how you tie it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.