-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A condition that effects an animal's breathing. I'd never heard of it till now. There's detailed info on the internet. Typical dog is an older , large breed. Labs are considered the "poster child" other common breeds are Golden Retrievers and Setters. Signs are, "panting without exercising, noisy labored breathing, tiring quickly during routine walks and hoarseness when barking. Hot humid weather, obesity or excitement can exacerbate this." It's often mistaken for normal old age and can lead to suffocation and death. If severe it can be treated with surgery.

I've owned five Labs that lived to an old age, the one I have now is the only one that's had/has this. My dog's a 70 lb male, eleven years old and not obese. Until this came up the vets where we take him for required shots said he's in the best physical condition of any older Lab they've seen. His symptoms started after a week or so of 100 to 105 temps. It cooled off to 90s a couple of days ago and he seems normal now as long as he doesn't run up & down the stairs. No opening day doves this year.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 08/30/19.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Huuumm… I have a very in shape 13 y/o lab at home that is developing something to this effect... Vet says it's normal... he is 13 y/o and all.... I'm glad to see the cooler weather coming in... it help him a lot... a black dog in the summer sun is not a good combination...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
My oldest setter has been diagnosed with it as has two other previous ones. All were past 10 years of age when diagnosed. I don't consider it much of a concern due to the age of the dogs. What I do with any other old dog is what I did with them. The previous two died at 12.5 and 13 years of age though they had other health conditions that were more of a factor than Lar Par. The current dog is 13 years old and may not make it past next spring. He is healthy and active but there has been a very noticeable down turn in his overall physical and mental state over the summer.

It is something to take into account but, considering their age as it relates to humans, it is to be expected. Actually, humans are probably in worse shape overall than dogs at corresponding points in life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my Daisy girl has this. has cut her activity by half. first started a couple years ago with a very hoarse bark. heart breaking to see her failing. she is only 14.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have yet to have a hard hunting E. Springer or E. Cocker make it past 13.

Last edited by battue; 09/02/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,583
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.